Defensive Carry banner

Pocket carry w/o a holster

6K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  tankdriver 
#1 ·
I was reading an article in a magazine yesterday where they focused on the NAA mini-revolvers. A caption underneath one of the pictures said something to the effect of: "This is the perfect gun to carry in your pocket for someone that doesn't want to hassle with a holster." They were not refering to the model with the folding grip.

I am interested in the what the general concensus is on that statement. I would personally never consider carrying that particular gun without a pocket holster. The exposed hammer and lack of a trigger guard would seem to make it a prime cantidate for an AD. Am I off base on this?

I'll edit this with the name of the magazine and the exact statement when I find that particular bird cage liner today.

#3 · (Edited)
The current generation of NAA mini revolvers have a half notch on the cylinder which places the hammer in a down position halfway between two chambered rounds. Since this is a SA only trigger which requires the hammer to be cocked manually to fire, I have no problem with carrying this way. Just set the hammer in the down, halfway position between rounds and it should be very safe. As with any other pocket carry, never carry anything else in the same pocket.
I personally prefer some type of holster just to keep the revolver oriented correctly, but this is not a safety issue IMO. However, having expressed my opinion, if you still feel uneasy about it, use a pocket holster for your own peace of mind.

#4 ·
I’ve carried the first generations NAA 22 LR back in the 80’s for years without ever a problem. My dad noticed the NAA one day and placed it in his pocket and said thanks. I dropped by my favorite store, the following week and pick up another one. And as others have stated the second generation does have the option of placing the hammer down between cartridges.

Between my dad and I we have carried the NAA 22 LR with the hammer slightly cocked safety, and with the hammer down in between cartridges, and ether way, we have never had an AD.

Instead of a holster we carry the NAA 22 LR in our back pocket folded in a handkerchief.

BTW
If your minirevolver doesn't have a safety cylinder? NAA would be happy to install a replacement cylinder, free of charge. There is a return shipping fee - http://www.naaminis.com/ship.html

#10 ·
In jacket pockets, I always carry S&W J-Frame and K-Frame revolvers without holsters. It's getting to be that time of year.

#12 ·
In some states, like Georgia where I live, it is against the law to carry without a holster. So check into that as well!

Personally I prefer having a pocket holster to keep the gun oriented properly and also to protect the trigger..

#15 ·
I don't pocket carry with the idea I need the gun oriented for a "fast" presentation. The pocket carry will usually have the hand on the gun or in the pocket quite often in potential areas it may be needed.

I carry some pocket guns with holsters, others without. It depends on my mood and which pocket I'm going to throw it in that day. One thing that you should watch for is the "lint" that will collect quite quickly without a holster though.

Brownie

#17 ·
well I have two of the NAA revolvers. One has a little holster that I use when needed. The other one has a built in holster. It folds up into itself.

#18 ·
I have "coat pocket" and "pants pocket" carried all manner of firearms without a pocket holster.
I started doing that years before there was any sort of :nono: taboo associated with it.
After all "The Pocket" is really nothing more than a cloth holster and a holster serves as an added leather pocket (of sorts)
It's important to keep the pocket empty of all objects save for the firearm. I put the firearm in my otherwise empty pocket and I don't ever fiddle with it.
Yes, the NAA Mini wheel-guns can just be put into a pocket.
Follow the instructions and set the hammer properly between the cylinder chambers and carry away.

Some disadvantages of pocket carrying without a holster are:

(1) ~ Firearms with sharpish edges tend to (almost like magic) create their own lint and so cleaning more often is necessary.

(2) ~ A gun will sometimes shift in the pocket and won't keep it's exact position so you need to keep that in mind and still remember not to fidget with it.

(3) ~ Some guns with really sharp edges can be tough on the clothing pocket and you need to be mindful of creating pocket wear.

(4) ~ Overly tight pants will show a nice outline of a firearm and can really print.

I would suggest that if anything bothers you personally about just carrying in a pocket without a holster...then don't do it.

#19 ·
I holster my j frame in my pocket but just an uncle mikes cheapy...most to break up the outline a little...but with nothing else in that pocket, I feel like that jframe would be safe without that cheap holster.
With the winter getting closer, it is almost time to go back to the Kimber...but it sure is easy to through that little revolver in your pocket and forget it.

#20 ·
Sometimes I carry my NAA .22 mag in my pocket, I have a pocket holster for it (from NAA, roughside out). I do keep the hammer in the safety notch of the cylinder and I do like using the pocket holster, it generally keeps the gun oriented for me, and keeps the gun cleaner. BTW the NAA holster is so thick I can use my thumb while drawing and simultaneously push the holster away from the gun while it's still in my pocket.

#21 ·
I carry my NAA Guardian .380 in a MIKA pocket holster. It was just too heavy and moved around in my pocket too much to not use a holster.

#22 ·
You Need a pocket Holster

Without one your gun will move around to the point that you will need to rotate it to get your hand on the grip! I use a pocket holster and find if I wear something with big pocket it will still rotate were you have to turn it to get hold of the grip! You need a pocket holster that will fit the pocket.

#26 ·
When carrying my S&W 342PD in my pocket I holster it in a Safariland model 25. This holster stays open once the gun is drawn so it can be holstered one-handed although if I had to draw and fire I don't believe I am going to be reholstering one handed but it's still nice to have this option.

#27 ·
With Regard To The Posted Link About The Pocket Carry ND

Well, you know pocket carry is like just about anything else.
There can 99 ways to do something right...and one stinkin' way to do it wrong - and some hairbrained idiot out there will track down that one way to do it wrong.
I'm sure that more than a few logheaded people out there have NDed their firearm while in the process of putting it into a pocket holster.

#28 ·
My wife has a P3at that she had me mount a clip to it after talking with a lot of people at the local shops who carry that way. When I have it on my I carry in the nemisis holster I bought with the gun. She doesn't like the print the holster has with her. To make me feel safe, with an empty gun we tried everything we could to get it to even move the trigger. Grabbing the gun through the pocket, keys being pulled out (pocket empty with carry), pulling trigger when pulling from the pocket. The only time we could even come close was when we wraped the trigger with a finger when pulling the gun. The same thing can happen when drawing from a holster though.

I know that it is safe as long as the clip is on properly and the pocket is empty.

#29 ·
In the past I have carried my S&W J frame in stronghand empty front pocket. However while walking I found that the gun would have a tendency to shift, so I was constantly fiddleing with it.
I now carry in a Galco PH 158 horsehide pocket holster just so that it stays oriented correctly and with the hammer in the cylinder safe notch.

Stay alert, lets not all become :sheep:

#32 ·
I always use a pocket holster, because, it keeps the grip up where it should be to be able pull it quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.