Defensive Carry banner

Carrying in the State of SC

823 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jframe38 
#1 ·
I've been doing some searching/reading of gun laws in the State of SC and it's come to the point where I need assistance. I have a Concealed Carry Permit from NC and SC is a reciporicating State but SC seems more restrictive for example while riding/driving in a car or truck I may not wear my weapon but instead store it in the glove compartment or console. When on a motorcycle or bicycle it must be stored in saddlebags or backpack. Is the use a holster OK for walking down the street? I will be traveling to SC soon and I don't want to pay a large fine, loose my weapon, and go to jail. Someone from South Carolina please chime in.:confused:

#2 ·
You may carry a loaded pistol in the closed but unlocked glove box or console of a car WITHOUT a CC permit in SC. You are misreading the law here. You can carry concealed on your body with a permit everywhere EXCEPT where forbidden by South Carolina law , which means a resturant or bar serving liquor, or a government building, or a school/day care/medical building, or someplace that is posted with a sign at every entrance ( rather rare), or into a private residence without the permission of the owner. As far as I can see, these restrictions are similar but less restrictive than those for NC. Go to http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and read over the law. Look for section 31, title 23.

Regards from conwic in SC

#4 ·
I too was originally confused about a weapon in the car. I asked at the shooting range and they said the same as FN1910. It didn't make sense to me as I carry in a Mika pocket holster for a 642 and then have to remove the pistol out of my pocket into the glove comparment and reverse the process every time I get in and out the car. That is when someone could take notice and then I could have a problem. Now I'm working on carrying on the waist for the cooler months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.