Defensive Carry banner

I finally did it....

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Cakewalk 
#1 ·
So I finally got the CWP application in the mail today. Now I wait. But... that gives me time to think about what carry gun I want to get! (and it should work out that my tax returns come in right when I get my CWP in the mail)

I'm trying to find the best compromise between concealability and reliability. I wear dockers mostly with my shirt tucked in (business casual), so I'm probably wanting something relatively flat, and with the option to pocket carry.

I'm thinking about the Sig p232 or a PPK/S. I really like the PPK/S. It felt the best in my hands, and it's nice and flat, and I can reach all the controls easily (I shoot lefty). But I've heard so many issues with the PPK line that getting one seems like a gamble. A .380 I feel will be adequate for my lifestyle. I also was looking at the Para Carry 9, or their new PDA, but I don't know much about Para pistols.

Thoughts...?

#2 ·
#9 ·
+1 for the Bersa. I have 2. The bersa cc is probably one of the easiest guns I have every tried to carry concealed. They aren't as well known as Walther, or Sig, but they make a quality firearm at a good price. The Bersa thunder is a PPK copy, but at half the price. Do a bit of a search on the forum for Bersa, and you will find that there is a vast majority of good reviews over complaints about the bersas. Do a web search and you will find that Bersa has quite a reputation as a quality gun manufacturer. Granted .380 isn't much of a defensive round, but if you really want a PPK copy with a decocker, the thunder is hard to beat. Para handguns are hit and miss on quality control, so you take a chance with them.

#3 ·
I have owned a Para LDA in .45 acp. A very accurate and fast shooting piece with the LDA. The PDA in the 9mm is gonna be a big hit....

#4 ·
Look around and see what is comfortable for you grip wise. You'll need to decide if you're going to carry in pocket, OWB, IWB, or in any other manner - this will be a big factor in making your decision. I started out with a pocket carry - the Kel-Tec P32 and now my wife has absconded it for herself. I now carry the Kahr PM9 IWB. Kel-Tec does make the P-3AT in .380 although I have no experience with that firearm. Good luck!

#6 ·
Look around and see what is comfortable for you grip wise. You'll need to decide if you're going to carry in pocket, OWB, IWB, or in any other manner - this will be a big factor in making your decision.
It'll probably be a combination of pocket carry and IWB. Grip wise I liked the PPK/S the best, even over the P232. I wasn't able to decock the P232 without using both hands. The PPK/S was very easy to decock, even lefty. Like I said, the PPK/S just feels the best, but I'm concerned about its reliability.

#5 ·
New Walther PPS

Since you're looking at Walthers like the PPK/S, you should also look at the new Walther PPS. This is a very slim pistol like the PPK/S, has a 9mm caliber which will give you more power than .380, and is lighter weight than the PPK/S because of its polymer frame. The slide width is advertised to be 0.91 inches with a similar thin grip, so it will conceal well inside the waistband in a tuckable holster configuration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.