Defensive Carry banner

OH NO! Look at this! Am I supposed to be able to resist this?

3K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Tangle 
#1 ·
I just came across this - P226 X-5 Tactical ! :eek:

This is a tactical version of the Sig X-5. SA cocked and locked carry all the way! Uses 226 mags.

I may have to sell something(s). :tongue:

#5 ·
I saw the promo info on these before they hit the shores (Sig dealer :) ), but for me it ruins one of the reasons I like my Sigs - no safety.

I just won't carry a single action gun that requires a safety for operation. If I need that, I'd rather have a USP or something equivalent that gets me the option of DA or locked.

#6 ·
Couldn't have said it better myself

rfurtkamp said:
I saw the promo info on these before they hit the shores (Sig dealer :) ), but for me it ruins one of the reasons I like my Sigs - no safety.

I just won't carry a single action gun that requires a safety for operation. If I need that, I'd rather have a USP or something equivalent that gets me the option of DA or locked.
Agree 100%

#8 ·
Actually I think I prefer the H&K concept of their LEM trigger system.

#10 ·
Ron - tempting it is for sure but - I don't think I'd go for it myself. I am somewhat in the same camp as Ex and Robert.

If you do have to have tho - you'd better sell your soul cos being close to me in age - I doubt your body will raise the required sum! Well mine wouldn't LOL! :biggrin:

Now - if that was gifted to me well - might be <cough> acceptable :wink:

#11 ·
Just pass it around to us all with a couple hundred rounds each so we can give you our honest opinion.

#12 ·
I guess the attraction of the X-5 226 is the same as the 1911 - SA trigger. I think it has a longer barrel than the 226, but not sure.

So why are you guys are concerned about the SA/safety?

#13 ·
Now thats a Sig i possibly could beintersted in if it has a Ambi safety since i wouldnt have to worry about there non Lefty Friendly decocker etc

But it probley Dont have a Ambi safety so i dont have to worry about it and even being a Single Action its trigger probley still wont be like a 1911

#15 ·
Bud White said:
Now thats a Sig i possibly could beintersted in if it has a Ambi safety since i wouldnt have to worry about there non Lefty Friendly decocker etc

But it probley Dont have a Ambi safety so i dont have to worry about it and even being a Single Action its trigger probley still wont be like a 1911
It does have the ambi! Not sure about the trig characteristics.

#18 ·
Tangle said:
So why are you guys are concerned about the SA/safety?
I've watched enough people in competition under stress fail to sweep off the safety. For me, it's something I don't want to have fail to work as advertised, and for most of the failures I've seen, it isn't lack of training or time or anything other than dumb luck.

I want the gun to go boom now.

The Sig is a classically DA/SA platform. People bitch about DA 1911s - this is a similar level of sacriledge.

For those of us who like the decocker and the existing design, it's like adding a lead weight for no apparent reason.

#19 ·
That's interesting. I've used and seen 1911s used in training and in the higher stress situations and have seen more DA/SAs inadvertently left cocked and holstered by far than missed safety swipes on SA guns.

Seems like 1911s are becoming more accepted, starting with the FBI, LAPD SWAT, Spec Ops, Marines, etc. and now even some rank and file LEOs like the Tacoma Washington PD.

#20 ·
As long as the weapon is in a safe holster, the hammer back isn't the end of the world. It's less safe, yes, but not any different than the folks who forget to put the safety back on the 1911 in the same situation.

The 1911 in some cases is acceptable for FBI, but only for the HRT folks last I checked. Most departments still won't let people anywhere near single action guns.

#22 ·
rfurtkamp said:
(SNIP)

The 1911 in some cases is acceptable for FBI, but only for the HRT folks last I checked. Most departments still won't let people anywhere near single action guns.
FBI agents on SWAT teams at the field offices also have 1911's...I recall a number of them walking around with their C&L 1911's at the FBI Newark (NJ) field office right after 9/11.

#23 ·
The ambi safety used to interest me, but I don't want anything on the wrong side of ol' slabie, anything to get bumped. Of course, for a southpaw it is different. I've never had a problem with wiping off, even under stress. It's just off as it clears, with the thumb under it. It's still safe that way as long as the finger isn't in the hole. Bud White is correct. You train for the grip. You train for the draw. You train for the trigger finger when the gun is basically lined up. You train for the hammer snap. When you put them all together...do I hear the hokey pokey in the back there?

#24 ·
Call me strange, but I'd rather train for as few discrete motions and things that might go wrong as possible.

It's one of the reasons I don't carry a 1911 any more. It was one more thing that could go wrong when things got bad, and the ammo capacity never did much for me.

#25 ·
Something I gleaned from another forum.

"...but I've even heard of one cop who shot himself in the leg TWICE. He forgot his DA/SA was cocked and when he re-holstered his weapon fired. He then, being kind of flustered, re-holstered again and it fired again!"

#26 ·
Cocked and locked is the only way I carry, and 1911 style is my personal favorite.

As for LE carry, there are many that allow SA. The reasons some don't are the following.

1. Political Correctness
2. Lack of willingness to train

This is a handgun that has been around for close to 100 years and by and large is hailed as the ultimate handgun. Sure there are ones with more power or ones easier to use, but none are as easy to use with this kind of power are are controllable.

The problem with LE carrying SA is mainly political. A cocked hammer scares stupid people. It has a lot to due with my "Pussification of America" therory. That said the guys that really do the tough work, the "operators" so to say are asking for and carrying the 1911. FBI HRT, LAPD SWAT, and USMC SOC to name a few. That should say a lot to you all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.