Defensive Carry banner

Inside the waistband 1911 holster

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  ExSoldier 
#1 ·
hello everyone, I am a big 1911 guy and I am looking for an inside the waistband holster. I own a tucker gunleather coverup plus and I have been thinking of getting an "the answer" or "texas heritage" I really like both these holsters because the cant is adjustable, the load is spread out over a wider area, and the thickness of the clip is away from the gun so the profile is thinner. Does anyone have any experience with either of these holsters. I know there is many Sparks fans, but I don't like it because the cant is not adjustable, although other than that it looks like a great holster. I have one more question, is the kydex on "the answer" on both sides or just the outside.
thanks in advance for all your input.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Dingle1911 said:
hello everyone, I am a big 1911 guy and I am looking for an inside the waistband holster. I own a tucker gunleather coverup plus and I have been thinking of getting an "the answer" or "texas heritage" I really like both these holsters because the cant is adjustable, the load is spread out over a wider area, and the thickness of the clip is away from the gun so the profile is thinner. Does anyone have any experience with either of these holsters. I know there is many Sparks fans, but I don't like it because the cant is not adjustable, although other than that it looks like a great holster. I have one more question, is the kydex on "the answer" on both sides or just the outside.
thanks in advance for all your input.
The kydex on The Answer is on the outside and leather on the inside. I have one and like it pretty well.

#5 ·
Try my holster maker and his online catalog: http://www.andrewsleather.com Sam Andrews is AWESOME! I have lessee.....FIVE of his holsters, including the complete MONARCH shoulder rig with offside attached knife sheath that is quick release. Not cheap but good and he will custom make to your wishes.

#6 ·
Sam Andrews is a great person to deal with. I often stop and talk with him at the local gun shows or call him on the phone with techno questions. Without a doubt, he makes a great holster. You cannot go wrong with choosing one of his to carry your gun in. :cool:

#7 ·
The comp-tac ctac looks like a cool holster. It looks like it has many great features for a good price. I was looking at their website and I could not figure out the difference between the holsters and the slides. Wouldn't both work for pistols that have the same frame but a different length slide. I would be interested to hear from some people have that some of these holsters, and as always pictures would be good.

thanks

#8 ·
I think the defining difference between a holster and a slide is that the front of the pistol's slide sticks out of the "slide", while it's completely enclosed in the holster. I have read reports of guys wearing the slide sitting down in a chair with armrests and pushing the pistol up through the slide far enough for it to fall out.

Although I use a C-Tac (which I really like) and a G21, I have a friend who really likes the Galco Summer comfort leather IWB for his 1911.

#9 ·
Slide Holsters for CCW

lt8tmgya said:
I think the defining difference between a holster and a slide is that the front of the pistol's slide sticks out of the "slide", while it's completely enclosed in the holster. I have read reports of guys wearing the slide sitting down in a chair with armrests and pushing the pistol up through the slide far enough for it to fall out.
YUP! This happened to me at a formal society gathering with all the city brass present: Mayor, chief of police, city council...the works. I sat down to dinner (it was my wife's civic organization for charity) and my yaqui slide with my Officer's Model 45 hit the arm and smoothly slid out and hit the hardwood floors with an incrediby loud T-H-U-N-K!!! Everybody and I mean EVERYBODY stopped eating and turned to stare. I just reached down and calmly reholstered and ate my meal. In an instant it was chatter and party. But you know, I noticed that when we got up to leave over 30 couples left too. My wife had to wait in the security office as our new friends asked me to walk them to their cars in the dark parking garage. I handed out quite a few business cards after wives elbowed husbands in the side. Who'd have thought THAT would happen in liberal-land like Miami? Anyway that has been over ten years ago, now. I've never worn another open top slide.

#11 ·
I've looked at the C-Tac and comparing them to my favs over at Blade-Tech, it seems to me that they're (C-Tac) are a little "busy" for my tastes. I'll stick to Blade Tech.

#12 ·
EXSoldier, I have a CTAC and was thinking about what you said- just judging by what yaqui slide holsters I have seen, I would think that the CTAC would definitely hold the gun better. I have one for my 1911 and there is a definite SNAP when you slide the gun home. Do you think that it would be enough retention to keep the gun stable? I am interested to hear what you think, because of an upcoming decision I have to make.

I bought the CTAC as my first holster probably 7 months before I got my permit. I was only able to wear it once for about an hour (I used an OWB for range time), and I then got a MS VMII from my wife for my bday. So now the CTAC was not going to get any use. (I love the CTAC but wanted my 1911 to ride in leather. Just something about 1911's in leather.)I also got a XD9 Service model during that time. Since I had a brand new CTAC that was laying around I decided to sell it to get a good holster for my XD. I emailed Comp-Tac and guess what- they are letting me trade it in on a CTAC for my XD. I just need to pay a small restocking fee, which I think is a deal given that I have had the thing for a while now. I think that is great customer service and I could definitely recommend them.

But then I started thinking about the new holster- because I love the XD so much I could definitely see a different model in my future, like a 5" Tactical. I could use the same holster for both guns.

What do you guys think?

#13 ·
Snap?

hawkeye680 said:
EXSoldier, I have a CTAC and was thinking about what you said- just judging by what yaqui slide holsters I have seen, I would think that the CTAC would definitely hold the gun better. I have one for my 1911 and there is a definite SNAP when you slide the gun home. Do you think that it would be enough retention to keep the gun stable? I am interested to hear what you think, because of an upcoming decision I have to make.What do you guys think?
The trade in deal sounds like a winner. BUT you said there was a definite SNAP when you holster. Is there a corresponding SNAP when you draw? I for one can think of any number of situations where I would prefer a near silent draw. That SNAP could communicate your location and your intentions in the dark and that might be B-A-D. You agree? Also the SNAP might hinder a fast smooth draw. I find the FOBUS holsters have a similar retention device. The Blade Tech holsters I have do not....at least not to that extent. And of course the SAM ANDREWS custon leather holster's don't. Have a look at Sams HYBRID SADDLE HOLSTER. I have two of those and they are so fast and smooth and quiet, it's almost scary.

#14 ·
ExSoldier762 said:
The trade in deal sounds like a winner. BUT you said there was a definite SNAP when you holster. Is there a corresponding SNAP when you draw? I for one can think of any number of situations where I would prefer a near silent draw. That SNAP could communicate your location and your intentions in the dark and that might be B-A-D. You agree? Also the SNAP might hinder a fast smooth draw. I find the FOBUS holsters have a similar retention device. The Blade Tech holsters I have do not....at least not to that extent. And of course the SAM ANDREWS custon leather holster's don't. Have a look at Sams HYBRID SADDLE HOLSTER. I have two of those and they are so fast and smooth and quiet, it's almost scary.
That is a good point that I have never thought of, and I absolutely agree. (Like I said I am still green so I really appreciate your thoughts.) It is not an obnoxious noise or anything, but it definitely is the sound of steel moving in/out of a very hard material. I think that the fact that it is in your pants muffles it a bit though. (Right now my Kimber is on its way back from getting the sights fixed so I can't go test it right now.)I will say this though, the limited amount of draws from that holster did seem really fast.

But what are your thoughts on the retention? Hit me back on that one. I need to decide before I send it off Monday.

I think my primary carry will for the most part be my Kimber in the MS VM II. But the more I handle the XD the harder it is to put down. It's like putting on a glove. A big black steel glove that shoots things.

Oh, and I really like Sam Andrew's stuff. If I had the money right now for an OWB the Hybrid Paddle is what I had picked out. I have met Sam here at a gun show and he is a really nice guy and the holsters are really nice.

#15 ·
Whatdaya Mean?

hawkeye680 said:
But what are your thoughts on the retention? Hit me back on that one. I need to decide before I send it off Monday. I think my primary carry will for the most part be my Kimber in the MS VM II. But the more I handle the XD the harder it is to put down. It's like putting on a glove. A big black steel glove that shoots things.
When you say retention, what exactly do you mean? Are you speaking of retention in the holster if you have to dive and roll while wearing it? Or do you mean retention from a grab by an assailant? Because if you let somebody that close to you, you're are seriously FUBAR. In which case, you'd probably need one of those new BlackHawk Industries CQB Retention Holsters (OWB)

My Blade Tech IWB does great as far as say the requirements for the average IDPA course which usually means drawing and firing and reholstering in all sorts of WEIRD positions and sometimes moving over or under objects. At 48, I no longer run the army obstacle courses, lol! As far as retention from a grab, that's what the Retention Stance is for if you're under direct attack and have drawn already. Otherwise, it's the reason I took up the study of Aikido sometime ago. Layered defenses is a critical part of my schema.

As far as the XD's are concerned, yeah they're a comfy grip, but I just can't get all excited over a product from BOSNIA. Yup...I guess that makes me sort of a gun snob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.