Defensive Carry banner

Assisted opener= switchblade???

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  MilitaryPower 
#1 ·
I know i is illeagal to carry a switchblade in florida (not sure if you can with a concealed carry permit). My question is does an assisted opener knife qualify as a switchblade? I wouldn't think so because by deffinition it says it isn't.

#2 ·
I would suggest researching your states laws. I found here in MI we can carry , but they specifically have a law defining assisted opener definition compared to auto knife.

#4 ·
As with so many other things, it depends. Some localities have designated them as automatics or switchblades, although technically they aren't. Don't take this as legal advice, but I've found that as long as you're low key with your knife carry, you usually won't have a problem. I have a Kershaw with a switch to turn the assisted opening on and off. I keep it on most of the time, but if necessary I can turn it off.

#6 ·
Ok.....here goes. In FL, it's not illegal to own a switchblade or an assisted opening knife, or just about any other weapon that you want. But without a ccw though, it's illegal to carry concealed, on or about your person anything other than an "ordinary pocket knife". The definition of "ordinary pocket knife" is somewhat vague and ambiguous, but switchblades clearly are not, and most assisted openers could easily get you into trouble too......as could anything that looks tactical.

The good news......with a ccw, you can carry and conceal just about any weapon you desire, including automatic knives (switchblades), assisted opening knives, swords, guns, batons, tactical nuclear devices......well ok, not those, but just about anything else.

My recommendation would be to get the ccw and be done with it. I see you're a student......so if you don't meet the age requirement for the ccw yet, a Spyderco delica or endura or something similar with a blade less than 4" will keep you out of trouble.

:urla9ub:

#9 ·
No problemo. If I can offer one other suggestion. While you're waiting for those 3 months to pass, pick up a copy of Jon Gutmacher's book, Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership.

Florida Firearms -- Law, Use & Ownership BOOK FOR SALE by Author JON H. GUTMACHER, Esq.

Jon's a firearms and weapons law attorney and his book, now in the 6th edition is pretty much the bible for firearm and weapons related law in the state of Florida. Good reading and it'll help you prepare that happy day.

Stay safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.