Defensive Carry banner

CTC GRIPS vs. KIMBER TARGET II ???

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  cupsz71 
#1 ·
Not really a rant. I'm just bowing to the inevitability of how a typical day for me goes.......... I'm amazed that when I actually PLAN ahead to buy anything, I (& the wife) talk myself out of it.
But when it comes to feeding my new hobby of shooting/owning guns & "accessories".......ummmm not so much.:tired:

Anyways.............

I HAD put a set of CTC laser Grips - which I don't REALLY need, it was more of a coolness factor - for $300 on layaway in late Mar. for the XD which I had every intention of picking up this friday when I make the final pmt, and THEN the plan was to invest in a AR15 or another XD.

UNTIL - a newly traded in - low round count - Stainless KIMBER Target II 1911 chambered in 9mm w/4 mags was "brought" to my attention today on my weekly visit to the gun shop. (yes I'm bored)
I was informed that it had been a "special order" w/ some custom work done (not sure what) for a fellow club member for about $1150 and it's being offered to me........for about $700.....& that I could transfer the funds I've already paid on the CTC Grips towards it instead......DOUGH!! (bang head here)

So......Kimber 1911 in 9mm - Good?.....Bad?

- I've heard agruments from a few 1911 purist's that the idea of putting John Browning's ultimate handgun chambered in 9mm amounts to nothing less than sacrilidge.....

On the one side...... I alway WANTED a 1911 frame and I don't re-load so I prefer 9mm for simply the price vs. .45ACP........and $700 seems a decent price.....
On the other side.......DO I actually NEED IT.....and I should mention that over the past 5 months I've ALMOST got the wife convinced on the idea of getting an AR15.....OR....the new XD-M.....
The owner of the gun shop I use is going to let me shoot it tonight to get a "feel" for it..........ahhh.....I'm done for.........just put a flashing neon sign saying "SUCKER!!!" over my head..........:comeandgetsome:

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a great deal on the Kimber, especially with the extra mags and whatever "work" was done. A 9mm 1911 is tons of fun to shoot, and much cheaper. I don't care for the adjustable sights, but it's only a personal preference. Stainless is a plus for me also. You are getting screwed on the LaserGrips. They are on ebay for $185 new all the time.

#6 ·
Didn't take the KIMBER......:mad:
Here's why:

1. I'm hoping not thru any fault of the salesman(personal friend) but they were offered over 1/2 down on the gun after I left earlier today, so I was to match $$...to get it.....felt more than a little bit of pressure tactics going on.........I don't buy into that.

2. I actually wasn't impressed with it's overall shooting at all.:scruntiny: Which surprised me. I've shot other 1911's in .45 & .380 Super from compact to full size, but this was the first in 9mm.

Don't get me wrong, the trigger was nice...but it had a only what I can describe as a very strange recoil feel with a surprising amt. of muzzle flip/lift. Accuracy varied greatly past 8yrds, and the all black sights I found anoying. (yes I know they can be changed) I wasn't the only one shootiing it tonight, a few others made the comment(s) too.

I'm probably going to regret this...... cause I went in with every intention of transfering the layaway $$

I have a simple rule: If I'm not WOW'd -1911 or not....then it's time to look for something else.

oh on the +??? side......got to try out the new TDI KRISS Super "V"
-78rnds = 30+ FTF/Extractor jams & the bolt/slide lock lever breaking/flying off......thus ending the night. :twak:

So much for the $2600 gun.

#8 ·
Yea I agree. THey are 1st rate for letting me at least try the KIMBER (and many others) before buying it. I've bought ALL my guns thru these guys and shoot at the range with most of them on a regular basis.
AND....they did give me the option of matching the $$ offered instead of selling it out from under me and letting me know after the fact.:redface:

So I'll amend the whole possibly implied pressure tactics, to a more reasonable senerio of courtious business practice.

Will I continue to buy there? ABSOLUTELY!:comeandgetsome:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.