Defensive Carry banner

Crazy Thought

4K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  Trade_Sniper 
#1 ·
Hey you know how I have those 2 XDs now?

Well the new one has had 400 rounds through it without a hiccup and is almost "certified" for carry... well heck 400, 500, who is counting.

I was just thinking, with the cooler weather FINALLY coming to Texas, who carries two full size guns? How could you if you wanted to? Shoulder holsters come to mind, but what else?

I'm not actually serious about this but I've never thought about it before.

#4 ·
If I really chose to ''double up'' - hey I could have 226 in usual place strong side OWB - then put on my Bianchi X-15 sho rig and put the 220 in that :smile:

If however we are thinking of a two hand double draw - (which I ain't) then I guess my 220 would have to go in a lefty rig on weak side but - problem - that's where Leatherman and e1e live!

Yep for me - std rig and sho rig - that'd work - easy. Got me thinkin' now Euc :wink:

#5 ·
Euc,

I'd have to go with the strong side belt holster and the under strong arm shoulder rig. Spare ammo in the shoulder rig and on the belt :)

hmmm.interesting idea.

--Jim

#7 ·
If I had to carry two full sized handguns - I would carry them in "mirror" image holsters - one on (or slightly behind) each hip.

We all ought to be practicing with the "weak" side anyway.

In fact - I have shot a couple of IDPA matches "weak" sided just for practice. Funny thing is - my shots "weak" sided are MORE accurate than I am "strong" sided - but I am SLOWER weak sided by about 25%.

If I had to go into a bad situation armed only with a handgun - I would take my two G22's in mirror image holsters.

cheers

tire iron

#8 ·
guess ya could. If I am travelling in higher crime areas(downstate) I carry both my full size and the compact as well as a NAA too.

#11 ·
S&W N-Frame 3" OWB 4 o'clock
Sig P220 OWB 8 o'clock

Takes a little getting used to, but it works for me. Also I shoot about the same right or left handed depending on the day. I do for some reason shoot revolvers better right handed though. So that is why my particular selection on each side.

-Scott-

#12 ·
I remember seeing a rig a few years ago called the "New York Reload." I can't remember who made it but the pic was a S.O.B. holster with twin snubbies positioned mirrored at the top straps, other guns were possible. I wouldn't personally carry this way due to the "wheelchair effect" but those rigs are out there to be had.

Double shoulder rigs are offered by a few holster makers and you could always use dual OWB rigs, dual crossdraws... or dual IWBs and clown pants. :D
Jack

#13 ·
Euclidean said:
Hey you know how I have those 2 XDs now?

Well the new one has had 400 rounds through it without a hiccup and is almost "certified" for carry... well heck 400, 500, who is counting.

I was just thinking, with the cooler weather FINALLY coming to Texas, who carries two full size guns? How could you if you wanted to?
Just what you need
http://www.bellcharteroakholsters.com/demon3.html
scroll down to the New York Reload and Double Indemnity holsters If nothing else they look interesting. :smile:

#15 ·
tire iron said:
If I had to carry two full sized handguns - I would carry them in "mirror" image holsters - one on (or slightly behind) each hip.

We all ought to be practicing with the "weak" side anyway....

cheers

tire iron
You took the words right out of my mouth.

#16 ·
Yep! I'm totally in agreement w/ Tire Iron. I've had more than a few customers over the years order left and right hand versions of the same holster, usually for the same firearm. That way, magazines, ammo and mags all interchange, and the manual of arms is the same as well. (Not small considerations when spares can be half a world away)
As a side note, these folks are usually the "been there and done that" kind of guys - real world experience has taught them the value of redundancy. (which seems to be the only real cure for Murphy)

#18 ·
There is an old/new adage that goes like this:

"One is none - two is one."

It is usually in referrence to flashlights and other "accessories" - meaning that if it goes t/u - which ANY devise will - if you only have one - then you are left with "none". Whereas if you have two - and one goes t/u - you still have one.

The reason I would caution against carrying both handguns for "one side" - is that armed encounters are H@LL on extremeties. The odds of getting injured/wounded in the "gun" arm/hand are HIGH. Well - if you carrying both guns for your "gun" arm/hand - you just made getting your second gun out VERY difficult.

Try and get your gun out of a "right hand carry" rig with your left hand. Even a shoulder holster. Now try it under the stress of a "two way range". It aint easy - nor practical.

Those are some of the reasons I have used and would use a "mirror image" set-up.

Of course - YMMV.

cheers

tire iron

#19 ·
tire iron said:
The reason I would caution against carrying both handguns for "one side" - is that armed encounters are H@LL on extremeties. The odds of getting injured/wounded in the "gun" arm/hand are HIGH. Well - if you carrying both guns for your "gun" arm/hand - you just made getting your second gun out VERY difficult.

Try and get your gun out of a "right hand carry" rig with your left hand. Even a shoulder holster. Now try it under the stress of a "two way range". It aint easy - nor practical.

Those are some of the reasons I have used and would use a "mirror image" set-up.

Of course - YMMV.

cheers

tire iron

You bring up an excellent point: During the stress of an actual gunfight, people tend to focus on their opponent's weapon and unconsciously shoot at it, rather than the guy firing it. The result is that many, many people end up getting shot in their gun hand.
I've spent time on the range with a lot of good instructors - One thing that they all have in common is that they will tell you over and over again that your back-up gun should be accessible w/ your weak hand.
My first pistolcraft class was taught by Paul Baumener. He was not real well known to the general shooting public, but the level of training was outstanding. (He tended to cater to the various alphabet soup guys and did not do much advertising to the general public) He shared with me that in the first exchange that he was involved in, it was a CQB situation and he got shot all to hell and would have died if his partner had not intervened. He took the first rounds fired in his gun arm and hand, and had no back-up weapon. He was toast right from the git. Being really fortunate to have survived, he took the lesson to heart and focused a LOT of attention on weak hand shooting (often making his students miserable in the process).
I heard a quote from a Russian general once that said something to the effect of, "stupid peple learn from their own mistakes - clever people learn from others' mistakes".
I was VERY fortunate to have the opportunity to have learned this lesson without getting shot myself. It seemed worth passing along. Stay safe, everyone.

#23 ·
Try this

maclean3 said:
I remember seeing a rig a few years ago called the "New York Reload." I can't remember who made it but the pic was a S.O.B. holster with twin snubbies positioned mirrored at the top straps, other guns were possible. I wouldn't personally carry this way due to the "wheelchair effect" but those rigs are out there to be had.

Double shoulder rigs are offered by a few holster makers and you could always use dual OWB rigs, dual crossdraws... or dual IWBs and clown pants. :D
Jack
Check: http://www.andrewsleather.com/ Sam has some high quality shoulder rigs. I have two of his. If I wanted to carry twin 1911's he has a rig on his web catalog.

#24 ·
I usually did it with one cross-draw and one regular, both on weak side being a lefty and facing car situations.

I also keep a pocket BUG in the left pocket if that side goes to hell.

It's heavy, but so am I. ;)

If I really expect trouble, like a 3 am service call to a downed server, I do shoulder holster too.

#25 ·
I too am interested in this idea, for most of the reasons listed. I like the mirrored holster like The New York Reload. Is this the only holster of this type? Are there any other companies that make a mirrored holster for two full size 1911's? Someone mentioned one from the movie Face Off, does someone actually make that holster and if so, who?

Also, I'd consider a shoulder rig, but I need one that holds the guns muzzle down, or at a diagonal angle, not horizontally with the muzzles facing backwards. I'm kind of small framed and I'm afraid that a horizontal mount would allow the muzzles to print in the back.

Sorry to revive a semi-old thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.