Defensive Carry banner

Winchester 1300 barrel modification

9K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Superhouse 15 
#1 ·
Bought and old Winchester 1300 for 50 bucks. pretty scratched up and rough looking. Since it ain't worth much i thought about taking hack saw to barrel to shorten it to 18" for a house gun.

Would it be o.k to do this or carry it to a gun smith?

#2 ·
It would be OK to do this, but to be on the safe side, i would bring it back to 18.5 not 18. Anything shorter than 18 is highly illegal and can land you in jail for several years (see Ruby Ridge incident). Better safe than sorry in my opinion. As far as doing it yourself its definitely doable with a simple hacksaw and a file to make the edges pretty. Or if you have a drill and a few extra bucks, you can use this: SHOTGUN BARREL FACER at Brownells

Either way, the instructions to cut a barrel down are pretty easy to find:

sawing off shotgun barrel - Shooters Forum

and several others

#6 ·
Barrel

+1 for the tube cutter. It's not hard to do yourself. We charge $20, plain bead included. More if you want a fancy front bead. Rust removal and blue touch up would be about $40 for an ugly barrel. A Lisle hone will do instead of a facing cutter. If you have patience you can use a file. Measure twice, measure a third time. Double check it, then cut.

PROFESSIONAL SERIES BARREL HONING STONES at Brownells

SHOTGUN BARREL HONE at Brownells

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.