Defensive Carry banner

Ladies of DC carry methods

5K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  chickdiver 
#1 ·
What do you all use for carrying, IWB and OWB?

My wife is going to need some on person carry methods coming up soon.
She is 5 foot even and 110#, has the hour glass figure, so any comments of what your using would be awesome.

Guys chime in with what your wives might be using as well.

The firearm is a GLOCK 26.

Thinking going to order her up a lefty Sparks Axiom for Christmas as well.

I have seen some of the custom makers have models geared towards the ladies, so anyone have those, that feedback would be great as well.

#2 ·
I prefer IWB or my belly band. Some carry methods for women depend upon her clothing. Wear an open shirt like a jacket - carry OWB easier, but IWB okay. Fitted pants, and blousy tops - IWB. No pockets? - Belly band, smart carry, etc.

She's going to have to try a few. Lots of women prefer no cant on the holster. It seems to fit the hips/waistline better.

I carry a Cochise Defender from K&D Holsters. It has adjustable clips to help customize the cant. Hope this helps.

Great job remembering that off-body carry (like a purse) is a bad idea.

Attachments

#4 ·
I prefer 2:00 carry IWB personally. My favorite way to hide it is with a baby-doll style or empire waist top, the fuller, floaty fabric covering the belt clip/butt of the gun in a no-frills IWB clip. I like mine canted, so the muzzle doesnt dig in my leg as I sit down, but rather slides to the outside. I also do the bellyband with skirts, tucked in shirts, etc. Sometimes, depending on the outfit and situation, I may have to do deep cover with the bellyband worn high on the waist. I have been known to do IWB clip in the top of a boot, and to carry an ankle rig from time to time.

The only place I have been stubbornly UNSUCCESSFUL in concealing on my body is at the typical 4:00 position. get caught every time. but then again, I don't usually wear alot of over-clothes, like jackets and open blouses over camis, both of which are instrumental in concealment at that location. Especially seeing how women's pants are not particullary known for covering that area very well (grr). Thankfully, I always try new holsters and carry methods out among friends before taking it to the general public.

good luck to your wife. She doesn't have to dress frumpy to conceal on her body! :wave:

#7 ·
A very thin gal I know carries he G-26 in her purse. She sewed in some velcro that mates to a nylon velcro holster. Seems to work for her. :scratchchin:

#8 ·
I'm very small (when I'm not pregnant), 5'3" 105 lbs. and conceal wonderfully at the 3:30, 4:00 o'clock position. Moreso, I believe, because I have a very slim gun that is held wonderfully close to my body.

A lot of the times I don't need an extra cover garment like an open blouse as long as I'm carrying IWB and with a little more comfortable of a shirt.

Even carrying OWB I've not had to wear special cover garments.

I will post some pictures.

This is my typical carry gun though the rig may change depending on what I'm wearing...

I'm wearing a sweater in the picture, not because I need help concealing but just because I'm cold. That shirt concealed the entire gun and OWB holster wonderfully.

But, if you want to go the OWB method with cover garment, that's certainly possible as well.

IWB used to be very comfortable for me. It's not anymore because of this....

but I'm looking forward to getting back to that method of carry when this little one is born.

My recommendation for women is to be picky about the type of pants they buy.

If she has an hour-glass figure then she'll understand what I'm saying when I say that pants that have high waists will be too high for her holsters. The swell of her hips and the height of her waistline will cause the gun to dig into her side/ribs/skin and it will become uncomfortable very quickly.

However, TOO LOW of a cut will do the opposite. The gun will be pushed out and she will have a very hard time with concealment.

The best pants I've found have been those with a Medium rise, not around my actual waist but not below my hips. The pants that hold my gun perfectly are those wherein the very top of the waistband is in line with the top of my hip bones. This is perfect. It holds the gun high and tight next to my body so I don't print, but low enough where it is not digging into my flesh and making my carry experience uncomfortable.

I hope she finds something she's comfortable with. My best gal friend carried a G26 and is very happy with it. Good luck to her.

#9 ·
i carry mine in a ctac (iwb kydex) and i also have a smartcarry for when i want to wear a not-loose shirt. both work great and are comfortable. i learned a long time ago that choosing a holster has nothing to do with gender, or even general body type, but very specific body type- exactly how and where the curves are. only way to go is find a place that sells plenty of holsters and try em all out if they let you, or get a few of them that have 100% return policies.

#10 ·
Actually, there is a third option- a true custom holster. Ihave had a hard time finding a comfortable IWB, and there aren't many made for my carry gun as it is relatively new. On another members suggestion I contacted a custom holster maker about making a holster for me. I should have the first prototype pretty soon. We traded a lot of email, including pictures and my measurements before he started working on the prototype.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Grandmother Carry??

My wife of 48 years and mother of our 3 children says that I do not understand the carry problems of the mature woman with the body changes that age and childbirth cause. She stubbornly sticks with a purse carry (Kahr PM 9) which I continually worry about. Loose the purse, loose the protection.

I am having a difficult time recommending something with which she might be satisfied :twak: without getting hit about the head and shoulders. Showing her the photos of the pretty, slim (did I say slim) young ladies and their carry approaches does not help my case either. How about a smartcarry -- not with my stomach. How about an IWB -- I do not always wear a belt; besides won't it show when I sit down (for example, with beltless knit shorts and a tee shirt). How about an OWB -- I might wear a belt, but the gun and holster will push out the bottom of my shirt. Getting old has it good points, but ....

I need help (with photos if possible) of grandmother carry ideas for casual wear, going out (eating, socializing), shopping, hot weather situations, and so on. I understand that she will need more than one carry setup to match the weather, activity, and clothing. Any grandmothers out there that can offer some suggestion from their own experience?

Thanks,

Mike

#15 ·
OWB is definately the more comfortable choice, but for me, IWB is my preference because I do not generally wear a cover shirt.

Most any holster can feel "okay" when trying it on while standing up and moving around, but the problem comes when sitting down. Our curves cause grips to tilt IN when we sit down and poke into ribs. Most holster makers don't take into account with IWB and women -- is that our torsos are generally shorter than mens. So the angles on the holster need to be adjusted to "fit" our bodies better.

David at DMBullardLeather.com customized an IWB for my Colt Defender. The cant is angled toward a cross draw and the belt clip makes the gun sit a little lower on the belt so the grip of the gun lies almost parallel and just behind the belt instead of sitting on top of it. I carry at appendix. The cross draw cant allows the grip to sit almost parallel to the top of my belt and keeps from poking me in my ribs and the slight transverse slant of the muzzle keeps it from poking me in the groin when I sit down.

It conceals well and is not uncomfortable to carry. It's perfect.

I want to add a plug for smartcarry. I use it a lot, but I don't wear it as traditionally described. I use it up closer to the waist band of my pants so the grip is also just below my belt line and it's easy to get to. I don't have to dig down into my pants to reach it. It's perfect for a lot of reason, it conceals well under heavy fabrics like jeans and lightweight fabrics like sweats. It stays where you put it and that means a lot when you're going to the bathroom. There isn't any concern the gun will fall out when you drop your pants, because it is secured around your waist! For people who don't want to use belts w/holsters this is the ticket.

#16 ·
David at DMBullardLeather.com customized an IWB for my Colt Defender. The cant is angled toward a cross draw and the belt clip makes the gun sit a little lower on the belt so the grip of the gun lies almost parallel and just behind the belt instead of sitting on top of it. I carry at appendix. The cross draw cant allows the grip to sit almost parallel to the top of my belt and keeps from poking me in my ribs and the slight transverse slant of the muzzle keeps it from poking me in the groin when I sit down.

It conceals well and is not uncomfortable to carry. It's perfect.
We are going to be in Denton next month. It might be worth our time to go by his shop and talk to him.

I want to add a plug for smartcarry. I use it a lot, but I don't wear it as traditionally described. I use it up closer to the waist band of my pants so the grip is also just below my belt line and it's easy to get to. I don't have to dig down into my pants to reach it. It's perfect for a lot of reason, it conceals well under heavy fabrics like jeans and lightweight fabrics like sweats. It stays where you put it and that means a lot when you're going to the bathroom. There isn't any concern the gun will fall out when you drop your pants, because it is secured around your waist! For people who don't want to use belts w/holsters this is the ticket.
I assume you are still wearing it in the front lower abdomen area though. My wife says her pooch would bother her at that position. I may get mine out again and experiment on her.

Thanks

Mike

#18 ·
Thanks. I will ask her to try the smartcarry tomorrow.

I showed her you email. I am not sure we are interpreting your IWB correctly. To simulate how the holster works: you put the gun in the right side waist band at about 1 pm with the barrel straight down the leg and the grip facing left toward the middle. Then rotate the grip away from the middle of the body until the bottom of the grip is close to parallel.

Does it look something like this, but as an IWB rather than OWB?

Thanks.

Mike

#19 ·
This was the concept picture I sent him. The first image is directly from his website. I asked if he could the position where the belt clip was attached. By rotating the holster slightly it changed the cant to more of a cross draw angle. It also lowered the position of the grips so it sits lower behind the belt - instead of ontop of the belt line.

This is the end product - the grip sits right behind my belt. the muzzle lies at a slight angle instead of straight down. This helps keep the grip out of my ribs and the muzzle out of the bend in my leg when I sit down.

The part of the grip resting on top of the belt normally sits behind my belt, I untucked it to show where it was in relation to the belt.

#21 ·
Still Looking

By rotating the holster slightly it changed the cant to more of a cross draw angle. It also lowered the position of the grips so it sits lower behind the belt - instead of ontop of the belt line.
Thank you for the info. We have not had a chance to go visit with Bullard leather.

I have been talking (phone and email) with Rusty Sherrick about building her something similar to your holster, but as an OWB. If I understand Rusty's design, it is similar to a crossdraw but a strong side frontal (appendix carry). It would be worn in front of the strong side hip, with a rearward cant. He says this, like the crossdraw, is more comfortable and easier to draw for many women than the traditional hip holster.

If I understand his design, it would be the same as yours except it would be OWB. My wife thinks that in many cases, her pants are a bit too tight at the waist for an IWB. Of course, her T-Shirt would need to be long enough to cover the holster.

What would be your thoughts Rusty's design.

Thanks

Mike

#20 ·
Sorry I'm no help to the OP, but for you MikeV99, and your wife's issues, I am not a Grandmother but I am the mother of 4, and have all the weight gain to prove it. I use a smartcarry, and love it. I DO NOT use it in the traditional way, I wear mine like MrsFosforos does up around the top of my waistband, but the pocket is at about 2:30 - 3. The grip tilts in, but because my hips are larger than that place on my waist, the gun does not dig, and the shirts I wear(tshirts mostly) tend to "wrinkle" a bit in that area anyway so no worry of printing... I live in a very windy area, so babydoll shirts, and other floaty fabrics do not work as they tend to float too much ;) If you have a smartcarry - even if it isn't sized for her, see if she'll try it.

Good luck to the OP! Hope she quickly finds something that works!

#22 ·
2AMomma,

Pardon me for my dumb question ....

When you discuss the modified location for wearing the smartcarry, I assume you are still talking about wearing it under your pants or shorts? My wife is concerned that the waist band on her shorts are rather tight and would not comfortably fit over anything.

Thanks

Mike

#23 ·
Hi Mike,

It sounds like a great idea in design. OWB is definately more comfortable all the way around.

MOST OF THE TIME, the waist band on women's pants sits higher on our bodies than the waist band on men's pants (unless she specifically wears a lower rider pants). That might be why he's suggesting the crossdraw cant too, it changes the angle of the grip to make reaching the grip in a more natural position for women.

As an example - I used one of my husband's guns and holsters recently at the range and was practicing drawing from the belt. I had it positioned between 2:30 & 3:00 o'clock. The gun grip was so HIGH, I had to "chicken wing" it to get it out of the holster. My Bullard holster has the position of the clip dropped lower than a man would carry so the gun sits in a comfortable drawing position for me.

One of the fit tests should include drawing from a sitting position. I can get to any of my guns - using a smartcarry, a true crossdraw holster or at appendix, EASILY when standing; but it's a different story when sitting down.

Considering the amount of time we spend in cars, it has to pass the "sit test" too. If she can simulate practicing drawing from sitting in a chair and in a car with a seatbelt on-- that would be a good indication if she can get to it if she needs to. Positioning it in front of her hip like you described sounds like it would (as long as the seatbelt didn't get in the way).

Most of all, I like that you found a holster maker who is working with you to REALLY customize a holster to fit a woman's body!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.