Defensive Carry banner

Hoover Dam

7K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  BikerRN 
#1 ·
I may have occaision to drive over Hoover Dam soon.

I will be legally carry a concealed weapon on my person in CA, AZ and NV. My question is this, can I carry over Hoover Dam in my vehicle as long as I don't stop? I can understand not allowing you to carry on the Dam Tour and such, but what about driving through?

It's been years since I went over the dam and may have to do it again soon. Last time I went over the dam they weren't searching anything. now I hear they are searching all vehicles driving over the dam. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Biker :palmier:

#2 ·
well I think that you should be able to carry your dam gun inside the dam tour and on the dam visitors center. I don't think that the dam authorities should care when dam visitors are law abiding citizens who gave a dam supported by dam taxes.

lol

have fun!

#4 ·
"carry as long as I don't stop" that's funny, cause in March when we road our cycles over Hoover, it took us about 1 hour to cover about a mile, so if things are the same, you will be stopping, most people were getting out of cars because of the wait. If you have not seen the new 4-lane under construction, you WILL be impressed. Water level was down about 100 feet I was told, and it looked like it.

Have a good trip.

Z

#9 ·
I am, but don't want any hassles since I'm carrying under LEOSA and will be off duty. As per LEOSA, certain government locations may be prohibited from concealed carry.

I don't plan on getting out of my vehicle, BTDT. I'm just looking for the fastest route to Vegas and the dam provides it.

#8 ·
I searched "department of interior hoover dam" and got this link to a pdf file that has info regarding crossing the dam.

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/crossingguide.pdf

An excerpt from the pdf:

Can I carry weapons in my vehicle across Hoover Dam?
Yes, as long as their transport complies with state and federal standards, i.e. guns must be unloaded and
in compliance with concealment laws. Also, no more than 1000 rounds of ammunition may be
transported across the dam

#10 ·
When I was there last October, I didn't notice any cars being searched. I personally didn't drive across the dam though. My wife and I did the tourist thing and was walking around. Traffic was moving slowly largely due to the people walking around/drivers viewing the sights but not due to roadblocks and vehicles being searched. Going through the museum part, not the actual tour itself, security is rather heightened. They actually confiscated some Tootsie Rolls that were in my wifes purse :boese51:! Ironically, you could buy Tootsie Rolls in the gift shop...my guess they were all the confiscated ones LOL! As long as you're legal with your gun, you shouldn't have any issues but by God do NOT try to sneak any Tootsie Rolls through :nono:.

#11 ·
ppkheat:

Thanks for the link. That's what I was looking for, but couldn't find. :smile:

#14 ·
But remember Boulder City NV

I may have occaision to drive over Hoover Dam soon.
The real problem may be driving through Boulder City on your way to or from the Dam. Title 7, Chapter 1, Section 3 is their notorious "deadly weapons" law (also North Las Vegas). Although there's always talk about that being reversed, a lecture at Front Sight (Pahrump, NV) in May 2008 said the laws were still on the books. No carry.

#16 ·
The real problem may be driving through Boulder City on your way to or from the Dam. Title 7, Chapter 1, Section 3 is their notorious "deadly weapons" law (also North Las Vegas). Although there's always talk about that being reversed, a lecture at Front Sight (Pahrump, NV) in May 2008 said the laws were still on the books. No carry.

HR218 (LEOSA) Exempts a LEO from any State or local law, with some minor exceptions. Basically if he's got his LEO ID and is qualified he can carry anywhere in the US or in any US possession.

#18 ·
You will pass through 2 security checkpoints

There are checkpoints in both directions. Generally, they don't stop cars --- BUT --- if there is an increase in threat levels all bets are off.

Unless you *really* want to see the dam, drive to/from Las Vegas via Laughlin. I do this on my trips to visit my father for 2 reasons:

1) avoids any hassle regarding concealed carry

2) though 27 miles father, I typically save 20 minutes or more!

It's 4 lanes down to Laughlin and up in bothe directions.

Safe journey.

#19 ·
But they will stop a PU and ask to look in the back, and no they did not say anything about my cased M4 in the back, or the 2 ammo cans that were there either.

#20 ·
We went there earlier this year. Our vehicle was not searched, but a pickup behind us was (he had a tonneau cover, which apparently drew their attention :rolleyes: ). I don't recall them doing body searches when they did the vehicle, but I suppose if you look "suspicious" enough, they might.

They do conduct metal detector searches if you decide to take the dam tour.

#26 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

All I want to do is: DRIVE ACROSS THE DAM, NOT STOP, NOT TAKE A TOUR OR EVEN WALK AROUND.

I believe I have found my answer. For those of you that didn't catch what I typed before, I am legal to carry in AZ, CA and NV. I have no reason to be concerned about Boulder City and their CCW laws, thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.