Defensive Carry banner

Concealed Carry at Taco Bell...but it wasn't me

6K views 26 replies 25 participants last post by  Bob O 
#1 ·
Yesterday while in line at Taco Bell for a delicious Big Taste Taco, I overheard two gentlemen to my side talking. One was fishing in his wallet to get his credit card out, and I heard him say, "This is my permit, which has a different color than my drivers license, but otherwise is nearly identical." He followed that comment up by discussing the "CCW class".

As I am trying to be patient and wait for my permit (still another 70 days or so to go...I am one of the most impatient people on earth so I am going insane), I felt very at ease and comfortable knowing that a CCW permit holder was in the premises.

The strange thing is, I am not sure how comfortable I would have felt had he been OC (if it were legal in SC, which it isn't). Are my hesitations about OC justifiable, or in states where it is required, is there still a permit required for it?

#3 ·
NE is an open-carry state, but it has been years sense I have seen anyone OC, and at that time, if I remember it was during the hunting season, and the gun looked like the hunting type, not a SD type.

I can see advantages and disadvantages for each type of carry.

Z

#4 ·
Wyoming is an open carry state and no permit is required to do so. Every once in awhile you will see someone open carrying. Most trucks have a gun in a gun rack and most keep them loaded because that's legal here also. I will be in Nebraska this weekend and since they don't recognize anyones concealed carry I'll open carry while in the vehicle. Most other places I unfortunately will most likely disarm, don't need the hassel of alarmed sheep causing problems.

#8 ·
Ha! Actually it was the one on Asheville Highway towards Hearon Circle. After observing a blatantly obvious drug sale there today in the parking lot, it made me very uneasy and wishing I had my CCW Permit. (I called the police and left)

The wait is horrible.

On subject, I guess my issue is that if you have gone to a CCW class, and have your permit, you are #1) Not a felon. #2) Have some sort of training. With open carry it just seems different to me. I wouldn't have issue I suppose, if they had to go through the same training, and are not convicted felons. I know most people seem to be against "any" gun regulation, but I can see the benefit of some basic training for those carrying.

As for me, I am making sure I have the training to handle my weapon. However, after going through my CCW class it was obvious that there were many there who didn't know which end was which on their firearm.

#6 · (Edited)
Yesterday while in line at Taco Bell for a delicious Big Taste Taco..........,
There's the first issue.......yummy:blink:

The strange thing is, I am not sure how comfortable I would have felt had he been OC
Perhaps your just like most, the best gun in the place is your gun. Unless I know the person and am comfortable with thier skills, then I'm watching until I'm sure they're not a threat........just like I watch everyone else.:scruntiny:

Everone has reservations about someone else with a weapon, anti's.....'gun nuts'.......sheep, dosn't matter.:gah:
It's your level of control and self discipline that dictates your response and how you feel about it.:yup:

#7 ·
Arizona is open carry and I've noticed that if the gun is a Western type no one says anything except admiration. If the gun is a high end 1911 that looks really nice, let's say a Kimber with custom grips or a high end STI people look but I think they figure a person who puts that much money into a gun and dresses neatly must be a good person. But, even I worry when I see a black gun carried by someone who looks like a bum.

#10 ·
Frankly I see no pluses for open carry except when hunting or camping. None! I do see a lot of negatives.

However, that's my opinion. In Kansas OC is legal at least in some locales. I asked a LEO friend if it was legal in my locale and he said "yes, it is, but if a LEO sees you open carrying expect your face to get well acquainted with the dirt until he has checked you out."

#12 ·
Just a reminder, this is a concealed carry discussion forum.

#13 ·
Ok, what if he was CC but printing badly? Why is the visibility of another persons weapon an issue to you? If they are armed, they are armed. Assuming the weapon is still holstered it is no more a threat to anyone if it is in plain sight or under a jacket. It doesn't become an issue until it comes out of the holster.

#17 ·
Just because somebody has a CCW permit other than you, it's not a reason to feel safe. You're assuming that he knows how to use his firearm. Just having one doesn't mean anything. It's possible that he could get himself and others killed if he doesn't know what he is doing. Also, not all CCW permit holders are good, law abiding people. There are some bad eggs who get by the application screening process.

Another thing I don't care for is talking about the CCW permit in public. It's stupid to go around showing people his permit while in line at a fast food restaurant and then talking about the CCW class. I get the impression that this guy is more obsessed with the permit and carrying the gun instead of being prepared to use it.

Be careful when you think things are safe and relaxed. That's when people end up dead. Most of the people who get shot think that it would never happen to them.

You're not alone. All of us were impatient when we were waiting for our CCW permits to arrive in the mail or get the acceptance call from the sheriff's office. Mine took 72 days and it seemed like an eternity. My brother put his app in on the same day and it still has not arrived. He's going on day 121.

Good luck! I hope it comes soon.

#19 ·
Missouri has technically always been an OC state, except that it has never been accepted for folks to carry that way. In fact most cities had local ordinances against it, which pretty much made it a Big No!

Now we have ccw I'm a happy camper so it doesn't matter. It sure took them a heck of a long time to go with CCW, but once they did, they actually have a pretty darn good ccw law. I'm happy with Mo's law. Would like a lifetime permit like Indiana, but it's something to work on.

I am wondering why the OP thinks he might feel a little apprehensive about seeing someone open carry? People who openly carry are almost exclusively good guys!

Besides, when was the last time you saw a criminal sporting a $250 custom holster?

The criminal carries concealed and you only see their guns when they whips it out and shove it in your face.

#21 ·
Kentucky is an open carry state also. But that being said you can expect to be harrassed by the police if spotted OCing in a largish cuty like Lexington or so, I've seen it first hand. There were 2 officers to start with and within 15 mins or so there were no kidding 4 more squad cars pull up. The guy wasn't arrested or anything just lectured and talked to like an idiot, he just showed his CCDW permit then pulled his shirt over the what looked like a Springfield Armory 1911 and went on his way.

#22 ·
The strange thing is, I am not sure how comfortable I would have felt had he been OC (if it were legal in SC, which it isn't). Are my hesitations about OC justifiable, or in states where it is required, is there still a permit required for it?
You shouldn't feel hesitant about folks who OC (I am one :wave:) and we are just like you. Of course I CC also.

States differ from one to the other. Here in Tennessee, our permit is not a Concealed Carry Permit but a Handgun Carry Permit and there is no legal requirement to conceal the gun. None at all. Open carry is 100% legal.

OC is no big deal, no matter what some folks say. It is quite common here in Tennessee and in other states where it is legal.

#23 ·
The only time I worry about someone with a gun that's in a holster .... .... is if I see them reaching for it.

#26 ·
While your example is sadly likely. Used to it or not the officer stated he knew the law. To premeditate to commit unlawful detention because an officer is at odds with the Bill Of Rights is inappropriate. But here we are talking about two completely different things one maybe tolerable even reasonable (not likely) the other is a threat to commit assault at the very least, a death threat as in make them eat dirt or take a dirt nap at the worst. If he is too stupid to understand the gravity of how things are articulated he is to stupid to be a police officer. At least no officer I know is an idiot goon that runs off at the mouth making threats to harm those they are sworn to protect and serve because they do not like the Constitution they swore to defend. This guy is nothing more than a bully in uniform aka an idiot goon without any honor or integrity, unworthy of associating with the men & women I know who put their lives on the line daily protecting their fellow citizens and the Constitution as they are sworn to do.
IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.