Defensive Carry banner

Racking The Slide: Pull Back or Use Release

6K views 46 replies 35 participants last post by  Rob99VMI04 
#1 ·
I have a question about racking the slide on a handgun.

I have seen this done at the range many times, with many guns, and in two distinctly different ways.

With the slide open (and locked), some people will give that little pull backwards and let the slide fly forward. Others will push the slide release lock to let it fly forward.

It seems to me that by doing the latter, you could possibly wear out the release catch faster. Pulling back and letting go allows the release latch to click to its normal position without extra strain.

Does anyone have opinions on this, or do you think it doesn't matter either way, and it's just personal preference?

#2 ·
I used to just use the slide lock lever to drop the slide when chambering a round. But during the holster class I took this spring, I was taught that it's a bad idea, due to the risk of fumbling in a high-stress situation and possibly jamming your weapon. I now slingshot (pull back) the slide every time, which actually works better IMO.

#3 ·
...due to the risk of fumbling in a high-stress situation and possibly jamming your weapon.
I understand that concept, but I don't think you would have your gun locked open during normal carry or a high-stress situation. I assume it would be ready to go. I was questioning the more casual use of racking the slide, during practice or target shooting.

#4 ·
The slingshot method allows more spring tension to be used to force the slide shut on the next round ,If the recoil spring has been weakened from use it may not have enough force to close from the lock position resulting in a jam.

#5 ·
2 methods. Both work, a lot depends on how you were taught. I believe the thought of fumbling refers to reloading under stress, which may happen in a gun fight.:wink:

#30 · (Edited)
+1
I was taught from the the get-go (way back when) to use and practice both. I still do although racking the slide is, IMO, the best method for the simple reason that the strong remains properly on the grip, trigger finger out, and sighted (roughly) at your target. using the slide release requires(for many shooters) adjusting your grip somewhat. Gross motor skills (i.e. racking the slide) usually win out over fine motor skills (i.e. using the slide release).

Kenpo Tex describes the way I was taught....holding the slide and "punching" your grip (the sidearm itself) forward.

#6 ·
Pull the slide all the way to the rear and release. More momentum to more reliably strip the cartridge from the magazine.

The 'slingshot' technique is prone to fail. Not when the slide is locked to the rear but when you perform an immediate action drill as in: tap / rack, starting with the slide in the forward most position. It is very easy for the slide to slip from between your thumb and index finger before you can pull it all the way to the rear. Use the 'hand over' method, where all of the fingers pinch the slide against the base of your thumb. Very gross motor skills.

Randy

#9 ·
I have done it both ways, but mostly I use the slide release to drop the slide and chamber a round.

I figure if for some reason one or the other hand is injured in a gunfight then I would be accustomed to dropping the slide with one hand.

When I practice shooting with my left hand, I also practice chambering a round using that hand only. I use my left index finger to manipulate the lever.

#10 ·
This is from my CZ-75 Manual:
Retract the slide to the stop and allow it to snap forward.

This is from my Ruger LCP Manual:
Grasp the top of the slide and pull the slide to the rear as far as it
will go. When released, the slide will fly forward.

This is from my Ruger Mark II Manual:
Pull the bolt to the rear as far as it will go. Release the bolt so that it will fly forward.

So, none of the manufacturers (of my handguns) suggest that you do it any other way. Seems that I will continue to slingshot to chamber a round. I was just curious, as mentioned before, why I see so many people do it the other way.

#11 ·
Some of the older Colt slides would wear the slide stop relief cut a bit.
That is really no longer an issue with the more modern steel slide material.
So with a high quality slide stop and a high quality slide there is no problem using the slide stop as a release if you want to do it.
That according to Colt so it is right from the Colt Horses mouth.
Neither method will do physical damage to a 1911.

Speaking only for Colt...my personal opinion is that if your pistol requires more oomph than just using the slide release to chamber a round then that should be taken as an indication of two possible things.
Either your recoil spring needs to be replaced or your pistol could use a "throat job" and a feed reliability job performed by a qualified pistolsmith.
Since (as a test) any properly tuned 1911 should feed and chamber a cartridge from the magazine even riding the slide and letting the slide run forward as slowly as possible.

#12 ·
Pull back and release every time. Forget that you even have the option of using the slide release button. This has been taught to me in the Police Academy. At my Department. By every department I know of. And in every SWAT class that I have ever attended. In fact if I was ever caught using the slide release button, I would probably be forced to do push ups, or at least be made fun of for days or months.

Why pull back and release? Because in a real gunfight you might have to manipulate the slide. Why? Reloading obviously. The slide locks back on an empty weapon.

Why is pulling back and releasing important? If done correctly using the hand over method, it doesn't require you to use fine motor skills. Fine motor skills don't usually work in a life threatening confrontation, due to the fact that the blood partially leaves your extremities and goes to your innards to help pump more blood, remember increased hart rate is another reaction to combat. The point is that you can't count on fine motor skills in combat, so train not to use them as best you can.

Why not use the slide release when loading the gun in a non combat environment? Because gunfighting is not something that you want to over complicate. You should always try and stream line your techniques. Or another way of saying it is, you fight like you have been trained. If you sometimes use the release button and some times don't, then you might very easily try and use it in a combat environment and that is not recommended.

I see no pros to using the release button. However I see a whole lot of cons. :drillsergeant:

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks JudoJake. That's a great post. I always do pull the slide back anyway, I was just curious why I see so many others do it the other way.

#15 ·
Thanks JudoJake. That's a great post. I always do use the slingshot method anyway, I was just curious why I see so many other do it the other way.
I believe the "slingshot" method is where you grab the slide between you finger and thumb and pull back like a slingshot.

The more appropriate way would be the over hand grab on top of the slide to reduce the chance of the slide slipping out. :hand10:

#17 ·
I was taught - and do believe - that you are more likely to screw it up if you slingshot. If you dont release immediately and ride the slide, it may not have the force required to go completely into battery.

Drop it with the release lever. If you wear out the release lever (!) buy a new one. $10-15 for a lever is the expense of learning a good habit the proper way.

#18 ·
Every class I've been through teaches the slingshot method. More of a gross motor skill vs fine motor skill. I think the idea is under stress you might flub hitting the slide release, the slingshot method is more him fist proof.

I think if you've trained with using the slide release...it would be come rote (muscle memory) as well.
do whichever works best for you

#19 ·
I always release the slide with the slide lock lever on the 2 pistols that I carry on and off duty, Glock and Kahr. If that's the way you train, then that's the way you will do it in a gunfight, if you need to reload. I get so sick of hearing the "gross motor skill" BS. Pulling a trigger is a fine motor skill. Pushing a mag release button is a fine motor skill. Using the slide stop lever is no different.

It's not uncommon to receive an injury to one hand during a violent confrontation. Good luck with the overhand method if one of your hands is a bloody, mangled mess. I can draw, fire, drop the empty mag, secure my pistol, attain a fresh mag, insert the mag and drop the slide....all with one hand, either hand. If you can't, you will lose.

If I can't retain the presence of mind to hit a slide lock lever with my thumb, I don't see how I'll be able to use the same thumb to hit the mag release button. I somehow doubt that I'll turn into a quivering mass of motor malfunctions, unable to perform simple tasks that I've done over and over in training. How the heck am I supposed to get my G22 out of my level 3 holster, if I can't even hit a slide lock lever? Heck, I have to hit a thumb release, a middle finger release, rock my pistol back, then pull it out before even getting it into action!

I wonder how all of the LEO's that came before me, with their hopelessly "fine motor skill" intensive revolvers, ever survived a gunfight in which they had to reload? Holy smokes, they had to first realize their gun was empty, then hit the cylinder release with their thumb, then pop the cylinder out with their other hand, then dump the spent casings with the ejector rod, then get a speedloader out of a pouch, shove the fresh rounds into the cylinder and twist the speedloader knob, or push it if it's the push-release type, drop the speedloader, close the cylinder, and re-engage the threat, all without dumping the fresh rounds onto the ground.

In addition, using the overhand method is SLOWER than hitting the slide release. Slow is bad in a gunfight, especially one in which you've expended all of your ammo and it didn't do the trick, necessitating a reload.

If you use overhand on a DA/SA pistol, get ready to learn a whole new set of malfunction drills when you inadvertently activate the safety or decocker lever.

I see no positives to the overhand method, and at least one fatal negative when it comes to fighting with an injured hand. My $.02.

#20 ·
I use the hand over the slide, not slingshot. I use the slide lock to lock the slide back when needed. Other than that, I don't use it at all.

#21 ·
Whichever the manufacturer of the weapon in question recommends (if they make such a recommendation).

Some (Kahrs in particular) are persnickity about it; they want you to use the slide release; they have a slight tendency to jam if you don't. I don't know why, except it has something to do with high tight they are, and how tight their tolerances are.

Others, esp. 1911's, IME, it doesn't really matter much.

#22 ·
Here's a good discussion to read: Is using the "Slide Stop" to release the slide really going to get me killed? It's a bit long, and the site has no shortage of personalities, but it's a good discussion on the subject.

Folks have done it using the slide stop and not. For my 1911, it's not a very ergonomic option. If I had a Glock (or, 'when I get my Glock'), which places their slide stop more rearward, I'd use it.

-B

#23 ·
Racking The Slide: Pull Back or Use Release?
Whatever floats your boat. Several of my pistols will close with the insertion of magazine anyway. I like that. Personally, I'll do either one of those actions depending. It does not make much difference aside from the tactical or malfunction clearing instances. Whatever you feel comfortable with is the best way.......until such time you realize a bit more about yourself and your chosen pistols for SD.

#24 ·
This is just my personal opinion, but..

Its best to clap your hand over the slide and run it like you normally would. In high-stress circumstances your fine motor control goes to crap and muscle memory takes over. Get in the habit of making 'bold' movements with your hands and not with your fingers.

#25 ·
I was taught to pull the slide always, that way it is muscle memory, not confused with other actions.

It seems that "most" LEO are taught the pull slide method, but they of course would need to address that. My education was from several swat instructors. That's how they teach it in my area.

#26 ·
I use the "slingshot" method, but apparently a little differently than some of you.

I turn the pistol sideways, with the right side up. I pinch the rear of the slide between my left thumb and the side of my left index finger. Then I PUNCH the frame straight forward using my right hand. This is done with the gun at high chest level.

#27 ·
I can’t agree more with metro 40!
The main reason cops are thought that “most” don’t shoot enough to ever get good proven habits down. Frequently they shoot the area up like everyone in front of them is the enemy with little or no regard to the safety of others.

Case in point: Detroit Police VS Wayne county Sherriff Department. One raided a sting house on the east side of Detroit that the other department was running. The raiding department never declared upon entering that they were LE, a gun battle started. When it was over, one officer suffered minor wounds from jumping through a window. After each department shooting more than 100 rounds no one was hit. I could go on for days but that was the only cop to cop shoot out I can recall with those numbers.

Another one that comes to mind a vehicle chase starts on lower west side of Detroit actually in a suburb (I think) any way it ends 30 or so miles away in the north east side of metro Detroit off of I 94 somewhere.
The driver is an obese black woman 30-40 years old. The car is hung up on the median wheels are off the ground. Several police departments (if memory serves me) Detroit/ Michigan state police /Wayne county /Oakland county /several other suburbs start shooting at a vehicle that cannot move from its present spot without help. After more than a 100 shots two LEO’s are hit, two passing vehicles are hit. The intended target of the shooting is also hit. Once in the ankle! Oh by the way it was stated at first that the defendant fired at police. Later it was found that she was unarmed.

I just read a report by the fed’s stating that police departments should not concern themselves with the thought of over penetration due to the likely hood of a pass through shot hitting innocent bystander pails in comparison to the possibility of being hit with one of one hundred or so misses. It’s not verbatim but close enough that we all get the picture.

In closing Cops (not all but a lot are) Some of the poorest, and scariest gun handlers I have ever seen.

#28 ·
Always rack the slide. You get more "spring" from the spring and it's more of a gross motor skill than hitting that little lever.

I personally prefer the overhand method, but I'm not going to make a big deal out of it if someone does the "roll and slingshot."

#29 ·
Metro 40 presents a good argument for the use of the slide lock lever which is the way I handle my automatics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.