Defensive Carry banner

Oversized flash hole????

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  HotGuns 
#1 ·

Have any of you ever seen factory ammo with a flash hole the size of the one shown on the left? (one on the right is standard 45ACP flash hole). My shootin' buddy has a whole box of these. He normally puts empty brass back into the same box they came from and this box was marked 230 gr. WinClean BEB (the BEB is Brass Enclosed Base). He can't say for sure if this large flash hole brass came from this box or not, but he's about 95% sure it did. He is sure that he has never purchased any blank ammo and that's the only thing that I'm aware of that has a larger flash hole. However, I would think that blank ammo brass would be marked in some way to prevent reloading it at standard pressures. As you can see in the photo, this brass carries nothing other than the standard WW and 45 AUTO markings. Any information on this brass would be greatly appreciated.

Hoss

See less See more
#3 ·
Nope. That's as good as a picture is going to show without having a microscope to take pictures through. I'm looking at it with my eyes and a flashlight and it looks just like what you see in the picture. However the hole was made, it was made the same way on all 50 rounds of brass in the box. I may not have made that clear before. This wasn't one fluke round out of a box, the entire box is exactly the same.

Hoss

#5 ·
Or maybe I should have just looked around the Winchester web site to start with. (Duh -- I feel so stupid)
Question: Are WinClean cartridges reloadable and why is the flash hole in the shellcase enlarged?

Answer: Regarding the enlarged flash hole of the shellcase loaded in 45 Auto WinClean products (WC451 and WC452): The flash hole in this shellcase was enlarged in order to achieve optimal ignition while utilizing a lead/ heavy metal free primer. Winchester conducted extensive testing prior to the introduction of this product and determined that the larger flash hole will not have an adverse effect on reloads using standard leaded primers. Please remember, Winchester does not offer a component lead/ heavy metal free primer. Other calibers within the WinClean line are manufactured with a standard diameter flash hole. As always, reloaders should utilize published data from a recognized source and work loads up carefully.
Hoss

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.