Defensive Carry banner

Frangible ammo in carry gun

4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Mtbiker 
#1 ·
Anybody carry with frangible ammo that does not have any "special circumstances", such as having to worry about richocet in your everyday lives? Good or bad idea to avoid over penetration in crowded areas, etc? What about in your home? I've shot it in training before, but personally carry Winchester Ranger JHP ammo in .40. Thoughts?

#2 ·
The only frangible ammo I have is for a .44 Magnum handgun, which I do not use regularly as a home-defense handgun. If I ever were to decide to carry it, I will use .44 Specials as a carry cartridge.

#3 ·
I have Glaser Silver Safety Slugs in my H&K USP .45 that is used only for home defense, as I live in a condo. Any carry gun gets regular hollow points.

#5 ·
The trade offs for the over penetration are not worth the risk.

I do believe in a standard I would say 12-14 inches is good for a defensive load to reach vital organs on a human shot from almost any angle. Most of that frangible stuff and even the Glaser safety slugs do not penetrate very well. There have been cases of even guys wearing heaving clothing and the projectiles barely broke skin. Most of that stuff goes in and within 2-4 inches breaks up, from most angles vital organs are well beyond those parameters.

If you follow the basic safe room scenarios, i.e. staying in your safe room and not going hunting around your house thus making you the prey, creating a funnel for your firing lanes in a home invasion you can configure your home to where your not going to over penetrate alls possible. A well place book shelf, TV, Water bubbler could possible solve this issue as a temporary backstop.

#6 ·
I carry 230gr. Hydra-Shok all the time. For peace of mind, a person should practice,practice,practice. Know your skill level. Practice under low light conditions,day light conditions,after running 25 yrds. If you worry about over penetration,go back to the range. My 2 cents.

#8 ·
If you are truly concerned about over penetration, I would suggest 00 buck or .223/5.56. These have been shown to go through fewer walls than handgun rounds. Many SWAT teams have switched from 9mm sub guns to M4s because of this. Neither one of these rounds is a compromise in their respective platforms. Frangible ammo in a handgun is, in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.