Defensive Carry banner

Clairification on South Carolina

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  FN1910 
#1 ·
SLED in SC has updated their reciprocity list to include resident Florida CCWs.

I reviewed the law on their site, and I want to confirm the following:

1. You can carry in a roadside restroom, since they are not on the prohibited list of places.
  2. There is no indication that one must notify a LEO when stopped.
Can someone from South Carolina confirm that I did not miss something?

I am very happy that Florida is now on the list. Putting my traveling companion into the glove box/console was a pain, especially when my wife and I would spit the drive between Florida and Western Pennsylvania. Many times she would drive from SC into NC and VA, and given that I would be asleep when we crossed the SC/NC line, she would be in technical non-compliance (no CCW) when the car was in NC.

#2 ·
1. you can carry concealed into a SC Rest Area. As long as you hold a recognized permit

2. Yes you do need to notify in SC

SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits.(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver’s license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty five dollars.

#3 ·
16-23-420
f) this section does not apply to a person who is authorized to carry concealed weapons pursuant to article 4, chapter 31 of title 23 when upon any premises, property, or building that is part of an interstate highway rest area facility.
23-231-15
(k) a permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to article 4 of chapter 31 of title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver's license from a permit holder. a permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to sled headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty-five dollars.

#4 ·
Thanks for that info...I'm pleased with the reciprocity of FL and SC, it's been a long time in coming.:congrats:

Stay armed...now in SC, too...stay safe!

#7 ·
You can bring all the ammo you want..... we still can't shoot it here. But I'll take donations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.