Defensive Carry banner

Question for FL&AL members?

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  henryher 
#1 ·
My wife will be living in Pensacola, FL and driving to mobile to work for the next few months.She does not have a permit, but I was wondering will she have any trouble transporting her Sig in her Jeep to and from work? It will stay locked in her jeep the whole time.
Thanks!
Eta: She keeps it stuck down by her drivers seat..

#2 · (Edited)
In Alabama any firearm in a vehicle, visible or not, requires a carry permit. Of course locked up and out of sight would not garner the attention of LE but make sure it is not where insurance and registration papers are kept. Alabama and Florida have reciprocity so a Florida permit should work for her. I edited this to say any pistol or revolver.

#3 ·
In FL one can have a loaded firearm in the glovebox, but why not get her the FL CCW permit? Easy enough to get and in 6-8 weeks she could be legal in both states to have it anywhere in the car and on her person.
Caught in AL without a permit (if the above post is correct) would mean no more chance for a permit anywhere...OMO

#10 ·
To clarify, that applies only to non-permit holders in GA. Without a permit, you must carry openly and fully exposed to view, or else in an enclosed compartment. However with a CCW you can carry anywhere in the car, openly or concealed, as well as on your body.

Georgia Code 16-11-126
(d) This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle in an open manner and fully exposed to view or in the glove compartment, console, or similar compartment of the vehicle; provided, however, that any person in possession of a valid permit issued pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 may carry a handgun in any location in a motor vehicle.

#5 ·
My advice, have her obtain a Florida permit. This way she will be legal in Alabama, Florida and Georgia should she decide to travel through.

#6 ·
Florida requires the firearm be "securely encased", which would make the between the seats approach a no-go.

The container in which the firearm must have a lid or be otherwise closed, and the firearm cannot be fireable through the container.

Glove box or closed center console is fine.

Matt

#7 ·
Here is the vehicle weapon law for FL:

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

The FL carry permit is good in AL. Just remember in FL the carry permit allows you to carry on your person only. A highway patrol officer told me that with a carry permit it would be ok to have the gun on the seat next to you as long as it is concealed from view (but I think that is open to interpretation). With a carry permit you can carry on your person in the car without a problem. I keep mine under the arm rest. As suggested above, get a FL permit. It is not complicated and it can save you a lot of headaches later on. Here are the restrictions on carrying with a permit:

12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

#8 ·
Thanks Guys, We closed her on getting a florida permit next week!!
:hand10:

#9 ·
One quick thought about the Jeep... if it is a wrangler, the center console does not provide adequate security. My wife's has been broken into so many times, and it only takes a quick flick of a screwdriver to open them. If the vehicle will be in unsecured locations, you may want to consider also getting her an under-the-seat lockbox or something similar.

I agree with everyone else... Its never a bad thing to have a FL CWP!

#12 ·
In Alabama you need a Alabama Pistol License (Conceal permit) or one Alabama recongizes.

If you do not have a permit then you must use interstate transport rules. Pistol secuely stored with ammo atored separtely

#13 ·
Interstate transportation of firearms as I understand it says you have to have it securely locked with ammo seperate outside the passenger compartment of the car. Not allowed in the glove box. You have to have it in the trunk or in my case the toolbox of my truck which is also locked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.