Defensive Carry banner

DM Bullard for a G26... issues

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Silver Wolf 
#1 ·
I bought a Bullard IWB Tuckable for the new G26. I got the one with the adjustable leather-backed metal clip. It's down toward the bottom of his webpage there, shown with the clip removed in one image.

First, I'll say that the construction seems to be top-notch, no-frills but sturdy, thick leather, and well-made. When I first unboxed it I was quite impressed, especially for the price. The detail is excellent, the G26 fit snugly but not overly so, and retention was great.

Then I tried it on. Ouch. This has to be the most uncomfortable IWB I've ever tried, and I quickly realized why. It's so obvious I should have noticed it right off.

That's a picture from his website showing the backside of the holster, the side against your body. As you can see, it is boned with as much detail as the front side, to include the edges of the slide. Worse, it's not a flat back piece with only a molded front "shell" attached, instead both halves are equally boned, almost symetrical in shape, and the two halves are joined at the centerline of the slide. If you look at the muzzle end of the holster, it looks like a square box, sharp corners and all.

The problem is those sharp edges of leather (which is quite thick and non-yielding) that run along the slide and frame really DIG into the body. A full size 1911 frame in an MTAC is 100x more comfortable. I couldn't wear this Bullard for more than about 10 minutes before I had to get the thing off, and quick -- I'm sure it left marks on my hip!

I'm bummed because I was impressed with his price, fast shipping (bought it from his eBay store), quality, etc., and had heard great things about his stuff. This just seems like a REALLY bad design decision, especially for a boxy gun like a Glock.

I suppose I could write or call him, but honestly for a $60 holster I probably shouldn't bug him about it, I should have paid closer attention to the design before buying. Another for the holster drawer I guess while I look for something else. I wanted IWB with clips that can easily be donned/removed without removing the belt. Maybe I'll get another MTAC for the G26, but I was just hoping for something a bit more compact in case the wife needed to drop it in her purse, the car console, etc. It's not my primary weapon, in fact the wife is hopefully going to make it her EDC, so we'll need to get something that works for both. I know the MTAC works great for 1911's, but it's a bit bulky for something we may need to remove but leave on the gun.

Suggestions? Not looking for another VMII either, it would be overkill at this point. Just something remotely approaching the comfort of an MTAC, Crossbreed, VMII, etc. but without the bulk and extra expense. I just dropped $1700 on two new guns Friday, have an almost complete Sparks VMII rig on order to the tune of well over $200, so I really shouldn't be going through another couple hundred dollars trying to find a practical holster for the G26.

I know I don't ask for much... :tongue:

See less See more
#2 ·
Suggestion.
Since it obviously is not working out for you but, it's still in like new condition - why don't you call the maker and see if you can switch it out for an OWB and then sell that on the forum in Members BST?
That way you could at least recoup some of your $$$ and another member could get a decent deal.

#3 ·
Should have bought a Fist...:gah:...haven't found an uncomfortable one yet. OMO of course!

Many of us have that 'box' of experiences...

My last purchase was the #1A IWB and the #41 IWB/SOB for the Glock-26...see Fist holsters via the 'Related Links' above...had both in less than 4 weeks.

Stay armed...Fist works...stay safe!

#7 ·
Thanks all, I've e-mailed him to see what he thinks. I also pointed him to this thread in case he's interested in reading or replying here.

Greetings.

I did some research on his site and found that he has a money back policy. Here is the link:

D.M. Bullard Leather Mfg. Home Page
Yeah, I remembered his guarantee, I just feel bad about asking for a refund. Not sure why, it doesn't bother me anywhere else. It's just such a nice looking holster, I feel like I should have paid closer attention to the design or asked around about this particular model before ordering.

#8 ·
Honestly , I have never found a 3" sized gun to ride comfortable for me IWB. The slide is too short to provide a good , stable ride with the weight of the grip pulling down.
As said contact the maker before worrying too much. People are all different so what works for some may not work for others.
It seems we all have a box o' holsters , trying to find something just right.

#9 ·
I have 3 of David's creations, but they are all the Dual Carry. They are all detailed on the back also, but none are uncomfortable at all (Ruger SP101, Kahr PM9, XD SC). I suspect the reason might be the difference between having a single clip on the fattest part of the gun compared to having two clips at either end of a wider span of leather.

As much as I like mine, I must say I have tried a number of holsters with single clip on fat part of holster and didn't like any of them; they put too much pressure right back against that already thickest part of the whole shebang.

In your case, probably only two things to try: moleskin layer on the back, or maybe try another model. I know David will work with you, and either just refund or work something out on another design, or something...best of luck finding the perfect solution.

- OS

#10 ·
The Glock 26 is a thick pistol...no question about it. Every leather holster I tried just seemed to add to the thickness and uncomfortable level.

That was...until I found MTAC. The hybrid combination between leather and Kydex just worked for me. Now I just forget I'm even carrying the G26.

#12 ·
The Glock 26 is a thick pistol...no question about it. Every leather holster I tried just seemed to add to the thickness and uncomfortable level.

That was...until I found MTAC. The hybrid combination between leather and Kydex just worked for me. Now I just forget I'm even carrying the G26.
Yeah, I love the MTAC, I have one for my 1911's and I can wear it for 12 hours at a stretch and forget I have the thing on. Problem is that it's a bit large and awkward when you're NOT wearing it, and I was looking for something a bit more compact that could be removed with the gun still inside and stashed easily in a bag, console, etc. I realize that most comfortable holsters are going to be the widebody styles like the MTAC and VM2, so I'm willing to give up a little bit of comfort in favor of a smaller form-factor. I just don't want to be bruised. :wink:

You might consider Bullards "Dual Carry". I have 3 of them, 1 for a Sig 226R which is a big gun. They are all very confortable. It is designed different than the "Tuckable" and I think would solve the problem.
Yeah, it's a bit wide but doesn't appear as awkwardly shaped as an MTAC. If/when Mr. Bullard responds to my e-mail, I might suggest an exchange for a Dual Carry instead of a refund.

In the meantime though, I've been talking to Silver Wolf/Dave from Little Bear about making me up something custom based on his IWB V1, that will be better suited to the wife and me also. He had some good ideas, and if he's up to the challenge, I'm looking forward to what he can do! Of course I'll post the results here. No pressure, Dave! :wink:

#11 ·
You might consider Bullards "Dual Carry". I have 3 of them, 1 for a Sig 226R which is a big gun. They are all very confortable. It is designed different than the "Tuckable" and I think would solve the problem.

#14 ·
The down side is if you wife likes it, you may not get to wear it at all.
Hey, if my wife likes it enough to wear it every day, I will be thrilled and would probably buy another from you, even though I don't intend to carry the G26 that often! Or if by chance the VM2 I ordered doesn't work out, you might just have to make me a matching one for a 1911. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.