Defensive Carry banner

Turned the Wife to the dark side

3K views 35 replies 27 participants last post by  Paco 
#1 ·
Well, we have done it. Last night the Wife and I spent a romantic evening on the TX CHL site doing her application.

Now all we have to do is go try out some handguns to see what she likes and will carry, then off to sign her up for a class.

For some reason it was just exciting to watch her fill out the app, as boring as that can be. She actually seemed to enjoy it, she even made a joke wen she noticed she but down blue eyes, red hair, and white (ethnicity) and jokingly said she's Red, White, and Blue!

Now I'll have to see if I can get her on here to start getting tips and tricks and what not, other than what I have already been feeding her from this site.

#2 ·
Congrats! Another one for the cause. My wife just got her CHL in the mail Monday. Austin must be crackin the whip to get them out quicker as she mailed in her app back on August 21. That's just 37 days!

May the force be with you both!

#3 ·
Cool
Now all she needs is a Glock :wink:and a user name
redwhiteblue sounds good to me :hand10:

#5 ·
Good for you and her both. You think she had fun with the application, wait until she sees all the guns she gets to choose from. You think shopping for shoes is bad! lol

#8 ·
Any idea on what pistol she wants?
No clue. She has never handled a pistol. My Sigma .40 scares her, she thinks it'll knock her on her butt. I told her it isn't that bad and the muzzle flip is manageable. I am thinking she'll opt for a compact because of her hand size and her options for concealment.

I'll be sure to show her as many options as possible, she may surprise herself :image035:. I have sent her to Lima's Range Diary to check it out, so she can see you can still look like a lady with a full size gun.

What will be fun to figure out is her carry options more so than what she carries. Homeschooling Mom with 4 kids, hrm...

I am going to steer her away from purse carry, the pistol would get lost in there, I think she has one of my rifles in there but I can't prove it.

SOB may be the best option, with a can't so she can reach it. Obviously I'll need to get her many options to fit her various outfits (not all have belts, etc.). I may have to get her a belly band, since she wears a lot of "Soccer Mom" sweat suits.

Do "they" make a bra with a holster in the middle? If not, I think I know how I'll make my first million $ :rofl:.

#10 ·
Good for both of you. Now you have another reason to buy more fun things for the range, protection, etc.

#15 ·
My wife, also a mother or 4 home schooled children, IWB appendix carries a Kel-Tec PF9. When cooler, she will sometimes carry her XD9 in a Blackhawk Serpa under a wind shirt or coat. She finds the PF9 much easier to conceal and prefers its light weight compared to the XD.

I strongly recommend against any off body carry (purse, etc). It's too easy to get separated from the gun and very slow on the draw.

#16 ·
Paco, if your wife hasn't determined where to take her CHL class, Reborn and I would love to have you at our range. Just let us know...

#17 ·
Congrats!

#20 ·
Paco & Bride . .

First off: Congratulations! It is a nice feeling having your wife carry with you. My wife & I have discussed tactics somewhat & I have always told her that if I have the time, I will move to the lateral somewhat . . Hopefully the BG's eyes will track me & give her time to do what is needed . . .

On another note: For the life of me, I cannot get my wife to carry in a holster, she prefers to use a CCW purse. A word of advise to you both: If you wife decides to try a CCW purse, the best ones we have found are from Coronado Leather

( www (dot) coronadoleather (dot) com.
On Edit: I did'nt know how else to kill the long winded blub from the web site . . .

She has tried some other ones, but they have not held up as well. Not by a LONG shot! The oldest one she has is 5 yrs old & still looks like the day she bought it . . . after 4+ yrs of daily carry. Your mileage may vary, but we feel Coronado is the best on the market . . .

Congrat to you & your wife!

#26 ·
This will open up a whole new realm for the both of you.
I have lost count of how many "Dates" and Anniversary's we have spent at the range since my wife got her CCW.

Congratulations to the both of you!

#27 ·
Congratulations !!!:congrats::congrats::congrats:

My wife has had her CCW for over 20 years.

Prior to that her, favorite gun was a S&W Highway Patrolman .357 6"barrel, not really a carry gun !!!
She used to shoot my Blackhawk .44 mag in metallic silhouette competition.

But, even though I tried hard with Glocks, 1911's, Luger P-08, etc. she doesn't like semi-autos. When she sees my 17 rds mags, her line is: "Oh, you plan to miss a lot" ...
So now she carries a S&W .357 Scandium 3"...

When I met her 36 years ago, next Sunday, she had never touched a gun ... I taught her most of what she knows about guns and marksmanship.

In that process, I learned a few things that I want to share with the OP.
In the army, I was firearm instructor and range master. Well , the way you teach your men is NOT the way to teach your wife ... unless you want a divorce :wink:

Seriously, I never told her how to do things (except basic safety); I always showed her different options explaining my personal choices, but always letting her make her own decisions.

It is very tempting for a more experienced person to try to tell a novice what to do. IMNSHO it is not good; if you don't let the student make mistakes, the student will never become a master.

And remember to always keep a good helping of FUN in the learning process.

You will discover a new level of bond when you'll be both armed.

Yoyu are a lucky man, enjoy !!!

#36 ·
#31 ·
If that were to happen to me and Obama didn't get in the White House, I'd feel like I won the lottery.
Fixed that for you. :scruntiny:

#35 ·
Just posting to say thank you, Boomana. I had the same concerns about side-access purses. I was looking for a top-entry one, and just ordered the one you linked to. Many thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.