Defensive Carry banner

What bothers me about CCW

4K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  glock21guy 
#1 ·
OK, I'm going to pick up mine and the wife's CCW licenses tomorrow (89 days after application :aargh4: ).

Thinking about it, we have $200 tied up in training, $300 in CCW permit fees, plus our guns, holsters etc. So say $750 per person just to protect yourself.

What about the guy who lives in Bessemer or on the east side in a $69K house (bad parts of our town) and who works at Burger King? Not a stereotype either, my son lived in Bessemer (with three of my grandchildren) and worked at Pizza Hut while going through college

The guy who NEEDS the CCW is SOL.

Seems the system is working against the citizens who really need the protection. The sheriff's fees went up immediately after Shall Issue passed, and the 90 day limit is pushed to the limit.

I don't begrudge the training though. $100 well spent. Still, seems like we are leaving the ones who need it the most far behind.

#2 · (Edited)
You are correct it is High Price to pay 175 training here 105 for permit then guns holster i mean jezz since ive had my CCw while looking for a good carry gun ive bought

HK usp -Xd sub compact-1911-1911sc-1911 lightweight-colt cobra in there soemwhere-glock 17-now a glock 20 plus holsters etc etc Dang its been expensive

I dont know how someone making $7.50 at burger king like you said could do it

#3 · (Edited)
Well Larry we cant have " them types " defending themselves can we , that would lead to " dodge city in the streets " (feel free to replace them types with your favorite steriotype , be women , minoritys, or poor folk ) LOL oh and btw my house wouldnt make 40k on a good year down here lol

#4 ·
Does seems expensive to buy our 2nd Ammend. right doesn't it? I understand training and fee costs, but the price seems to be rising fast. I think the state/ fed govt. has printed me 6 or 7 times now .

#7 ·
Yes! That is what I love about PA. I live in Jefferson County, and I had my CCW in about 10 minutes. Went to the sheriff's department, filled out the paper work. They made a phone call, then 5 minutes later I was in front of the camera getting my picture taken. Another 5 minutes and I was out the door with permit in hand (like a driver's licenes, plastic card with info and picture). It was that easy. And, like QKShooter said, it cost me $19.

:)

#10 ·
Larry Ashcraft said:
OK, I'm going to pick up mine and the wife's CCW licenses tomorrow (89 days after application :aargh4: ).

Thinking about it, we have $200 tied up in training, $300 in CCW permit fees, plus our guns, holsters etc. So say $750 per person just to protect yourself.

What about the guy who lives in Bessemer or on the east side in a $69K house (bad parts of our town) and who works at Burger King? Not a stereotype either, my son lived in Bessemer (with three of my grandchildren) and worked at Pizza Hut while going through college

The guy who NEEDS the CCW is SOL.

Seems the system is working against the citizens who really need the protection. The sheriff's fees went up immediately after Shall Issue passed, and the 90 day limit is pushed to the limit.

I don't begrudge the training though. $100 well spent. Still, seems like we are leaving the ones who need it the most far behind.
Gotcha, the right to carry shouldn't have anything to do with your ability or inability to pay any fees etc...
First time permit in Alabama I waited 15 min's for quick computer check for felony's etc. then $20 bucks and stand in front of the camera - min or two later get a still hot lamated photo id CC card.
All in All about 20 min's and out the door with my permit.
Didn't even have to own a firearm - no listing serial numbers or guns. It was a few days after getting my permit when I actually purchased my first handgun.
Now every year I get a notice in the mail to send in my renewal fee ($20 bucks) and they mail my new card (same photo as first).
Much more affordable than some other states.
I still think as long as your not a prior felon than your drivers license or state issued photo id should suffice for your concealed carry permit too - without having to pay any extra fees.

#11 ·
Larry - that is just downright iniquitous!!

In fact tho QK mentioned the $19 here - that was (for me anyways) only correct 3 years ago - plus $1.50 to have the thing reduced and laminated. In and out 30 mins max, paperwork and NICS etc.

My wife got hers a year ago and now we have a DL type card with pic and IIRC it is $25 or $26. Still, by comparison a very cheap way to excercize a basic right.

I always recommend new folks to get some training but even so - if they came to our NRA courses - Basic Pistol or after that Personal Protection - they'd only be in to about $50 per course - which is voluntary.

The disparity is crazy - and certainly when you think of all the folks who should have CCW and yet may baulk at it because of fiscal limitations - it sux! Waiting periods too - that is a joke and if a state is ''shall issue'' in a true sense, there should be none of this delay crap and overblown expense.

I feel for you. hell - my biggest expense was $147 or was it less - getting my FL non-res - and my NRA certification was OK to obtain that - which did in total cost me some $500 - but hey - those expenses where from choice - at least the PA side of things was well OK.

You and Sandy have my sympathies on all that.

#12 ·
Larry, You make a good point, but not a new one. The cost and red tape that is involved does not sit well with me and I live in gun friendly Florida. Look at the folks fighting to get their states to "allow" them to defend themselves. It's one of the unfortunate conditions that accompanies government since governments started.

#13 ·
My DL has Motorcycle and Vessel on the back - I think it should also have Concealed Carry Permit on the back too & not worry about a separate pistol permit.
Orange Beach (small city in Alabama) offers free pistol training class from time to time for residents & small fee if non-resident. I think that's a good option. If required for permit then free familiarity class, otherwise should be optional.

#14 · (Edited)
Larry, i feel your pain. In Oklahoma, it costs $60 for the training class. $100 for the license itself, $25 for the sheriff to take your fingerprints, and $10 for the photographs. Thats $195, not counting gun, holster, ammunition, or the time you spend waiting at teh sheriff's office. Then to top it all off, it takes 90 days to get your permit, and mine took 90 to the day.

ArmyCop, i agree, CCW should simply be an endorsement on our DL's.

BEN

#15 ·
I don’t like the cost either. But on the other hand, it wasn’t too long ago (10 years) that we did not even have the option for concealed carry in Texas. I’m thankful for what we have, even if it isn’t the best system. And as time goes by, improvements are being made in the laws. As long as we keep going forward, and not backwards, I’m happy.

#16 ·
I used to work in a county where for your permit to be valid, you had to have $500 in cash on your person while carrying. It had to be cash, not valuables (jewelry, or gun). IIRC, the permit fee was $100, and the training was at least that much too. Seems that the cost of taking $500 cash out of your accounts forever just to carry it was a bit high. By the time it was all said and done, you could have easily invested over $1500 for the priveledge. In my opinion, rights are not purchased.

Here, the permit is $10, good for 4 years.

#17 ·
Seems the system is working against the citizens who really need the protection.
Yes, and not only are fees too expensive for a lot of good folks, the antis are constanly squawking about about banning Saturday Night Specials, taking away affordable guns from people who need them.

It's slick politics disguised as a policy to "protect our children from senseless gun violence" - when the people's ability to be independent is stripped away (and the ability to defend one's own body being one the highest forms of independence), they become dependent, and they turn to the System for protection. It's convenient having a lot of people relying on the System, because then they're easy to control and the System gets their votes.

#18 ·
Don't complain, you guys should feel lucky! I spent over $1000 just to get denied! Moved to a different county, just talked to the Cheif LEO this morning, he said don't even bother trying to apply, there is no reason good enough for him to issue a permit to anyone! Welcome to sunny California! I hope California feels safe knowing that you can't carry a gun, have more than 10rd capacity, and can't have a detachable magazine and a pistol grip on the same rifle!! I feel so safe here.

#19 ·
ArmyCop said:
My DL has Motorcycle and Vessel on the back - I think it should also have Concealed Carry Permit on the back too & not worry about a separate pistol permit.
Orange Beach (small city in Alabama) offers free pistol training class from time to time for residents & small fee if non-resident. I think that's a good option. If required for permit then free familiarity class, otherwise should be optional.
They have Talked about Doing something like that here go renew your DL,Plates and CCW all at same time that would be nice

#20 ·
Otis said:
Don't complain, you guys should feel lucky! I spent over $1000 just to get denied! Moved to a different county, just talked to the Cheif LEO this morning, he said don't even bother trying to apply, there is no reason good enough for him to issue a permit to anyone! Welcome to sunny California! I hope California feels safe knowing that you can't carry a gun, have more than 10rd capacity, and can't have a detachable magazine and a pistol grip on the same rifle!! I feel so safe here.
That's one of many reasons that I moved fm Cali..to Nevada:yup:

#21 ·
The CHL course my wife and I took was $120 each, including range fees and ammo, photos and fingerprints. Some certified instructors charge as little as $75 I believe, not including the extras. For most Texans, the license will cost $140. But for senior citizens or indigent Texans, the cost is only $70. For active/honorably retired peace officers or active/retired judicial officers, the cost is $25. For elected felony prosecuting attorneys, the fee is waived. :argue:

To be indigent in Texas (to get the "reduced" fee), the threshold is pretty low: According to 2003 federal poverty guidelines, you may be considered indigent if you are single and you earn $8,980 per year or less. The maximum income for indigence classification is $30,960 for a family of eight. :mad:

Expensive in Texas? Yes. Worth it to us ($520 total)? Yes! :danceban: Too expensive for many - yes, unfortunately.

Wish I lived in PA (except for that darned snow!)

#24 ·
Before shall issue passed, the sheriff was in my trophy shop and I asked him about getting my permit. He said "Sure, bring $50 down to the station and we'll get you fixed up".

When the law passed, the state allowed county sheriffs to charge up to $100, so guess what ours went up to? Our sheriff is not a lawman, he is a politician.

$100 training
$52.50 CBI check
$100 sheriff's dept.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.