Defensive Carry banner

Concealed carry at work

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  JustInCase 
#1 ·
I recently obtained Chl in texas. I was reading my employers policy handbook concerning weapons and it stated "bringing weapons to work, except as permitted by law". The lobby of the hotel where I work is open to the public, with no security lock. There are no 30.06 signs posted anywhere on property. I know of two members of management who are CHL, but not at my property. Am I legal carrying at work? I've kept it as a "dont ask,dont tell" so far because I assume if I drew on an armed robber it would be my last day on the job. Anyone have any legal insight on this?

#3 ·
Again not legally, and do not want you in trouble, but I agree with above quote. Two choices: 1) ask and clear air and if answer is no they need to change policy manual 2) continue don't ask don't tell policy.

You are fortunate if you can carry at work. I work at a Nuclear Power plant and cannot bring a firearm on company property, which I understand. Only problem I have is going to and from work when I am unarmed.

#4 ·
Since there is no 30.06 sings posted, and you handbook reads "bringing weapons to work, except as permitted by law". I would say your legal to carry. If they find you carrying, they may still take it upon themselves to terminate your employment. Not sure if TX is a "Right to Work" state or not. Given the info we have, the worst case scenario is being fired, no state laws violated.

#5 ·
Not from TX, but in FL, if an employer's policies indicated what you just relayed, then I wouldn't see any problem with CCW at work, provided weapons are otherwise prohibited by law at your job site.

1) No 30.06 signs
2) Manual states "as permitted by law"
3) Concealed is concealed

-JT

#6 ·
I would only pocket carry at work if possible. Depending on what you do and how you carry, its too easy to get made at work. I spend most of my time in my office by myself, but I know that its hard to conceal a gun on your hip 9 hours a day when your around alot of people. But, thats just me.

#8 ·
Did you agree at any time, in writing or orally, to comply with all the firm's rules, regs and policies?

Did you agree at any time, in writing or orally, that you would ask a supervisor or other company official of any questions you had regarding the firm's rules and policies?

#9 ·
There should be a box for the HR department comments and send one in with the question no names.....May be???

#10 ·
No no comment box, why raise flags??? I also don't understand the first two replies as I you are withing the law to carry on the premisis, this combined with no signs restricting I would say you are good to go. Make you have good concealment and don't say a word.

NCH

#11 ·
IANAL but it sounds like you are legally in the clear. If you ask I can almost guarantee you will be told you can't carry so I wouldn't bring it up. Here is what you have to think about, is your job worth your life? I wouldn't use my gun to stop someone from robbing my place of business. If you are killed at work your family may collect some insurance and your employer may send flowers to your funeral. I would use my gun to stop someone from directly harming me and perhaps another depending on the circumstances. I can always find another job but not another life.

#16 ·
If you ask I can almost guarantee you will be told you can't carry so I wouldn't bring it up. Here is what you have to think about, is your job worth your life? I wouldn't use my gun to stop someone from robbing my place of business. ... I would use my gun to stop someone from directly harming me and perhaps another depending on the circumstances. I can always find another job but not another life.
Do you carry a gun at work in contravention of your employer's rules and/or policy?

#12 ·
IANAL, but I have a Texas CHL and according to the law if there is not a 30.06 sign or not one of the places off limits you are leagal. The next thing is by the wording in the hand book they could go either way IMO you are safe. When I worked for a Couirer company in Dallas they did not say one way or another on weather I could or could not so I did carry at all times. The owners of the company found out that I carried, one of the three owners has a CHL themselves and all they told me was that do not carry where you are not to carry at. The also gave me some higher paying jobs that were how do I say had more chance of getting robbed on. If it was me I would keep carring till I was told I could not carry.

#13 ·
I do not know what Texas employment laws are, but a fair amount of states are right to work / right to fire states - meaning they need no "legal" or "justified" reason to terminate. Although you may be in the "clear" legally speaking and with regard to federal, state & local laws. You might not be in the "clear" with the company or supervisor/manager. I would seek to clarify if you value your employment at all.

#15 ·
My work states that no illegal weapons are allowed on premises. I talked to HR, and she said that state law says that only cops can carry. I said that your vastly mistaken, and need to review the laws. I researched, and found that if you have a CCL you can(here), but they can still fire you anyway. She just zipped her lips.

She also gave me a heads up that the handbook isn't the "law" that they go by, they can interpret the meanings however they want with the clause that they have us sign.

In my mind, don't ask don't tell.

#17 ·
It sounds like you're well within the law to carry but, as I said before, it's a personal issue where you have to count the potential cost. :wink:

#18 ·
I can absolutely almost guarantee you that if you ask they will say absolutely not. They'll simply view it as a CYA action and you will then have a formal interpretation of their stance to fight with later on if you do decide to go ahead and carry.

#19 ·
Judged by twelve or carried by six. In the event you actually had to use it, legality would take a second place to still breathing. I carry at work even though it's verboten, but it's either pocket carry or Smartcarry with a snubbie, which I'll never get spotted with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.