Defensive Carry banner

Pocket folder.

4K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  GunnyBob 
#1 ·
Ok guys, here's my dilemma. I've got two pocket folders that don't seem to hold an edge. I know there are knives that'll hold an edge for more than a week.

I'm not looking to spend more than $50, because I tend to lose them.

What do you recommend???

#4 ·
Spyderco Delica

Tangle said:
Spyderco Nature - great knife; but I think it's gonna cost more than $50.

Might be cheaper to buy a quality knife and hang on to it.
Spyderco Delica = $39.95 I have two and love them both! I prefer the partial serrated.

#5 ·
Here is my pat answer for this.

Trying to tell you everything you could consider is nigh impossible because there is so much out there. At $50 and under there are a lot of fine products and there's also a lot of junk. Knives are so subjective it's tough...

But if you want something nice in the mid price range that won't break the bank, my two standing reccomendations are:

The Spyderco Delica, Native or Endura - the new models especially are nice, and you can get a real good deal on the Native at Wally World of all places. It's normally $65, Wally World has it for $40. The reason I reccommend these three is that most people find their hands fit one of the three very comfortably. I'm an Endura person myself.

Something in the Benchmade Griptilian Series - 550 or 551. These are also real good knives, they're just different. I always list them because people tend to be Spyderco people or Benchmade people.

I'm no kind of expert but I like knives too, and I went through a lot of them before I found the one that made me happy. I wish I'd started with one of these models, because even if you move on it's handy to have a spare for the car, office, etc.

#6 ·
I carry a Colt M4-k. I've had it for about 4 months and it's held a great edge (and it cost just under $50.00).

#7 ·
My Buck Mayo TNT has held an incredible edge - but considering it is a $300 knife I paid $200 for - it is way up there for cost.

I am still planning on a Kirshaw next but Spyderco is looking appealing too.

#9 ·
Thanks Guys.

I have one I got for Christmas that's an "Outdoor Life". The lady at Kmart swore it is the company that bought all the plans from Schrade/Old Timer, when they went kaput. I know Old Timer made some hella good knives. This one seems to be CRAP. The knife, I like; the edge, won't stay sharp. I'll give it a little longer. Maybe I can get a real good edge on it and see how long it lasts. Plus, I'm working temporarily at a carpet store and carry a utility knife too, now that's sharp.

I touched a Kershaw at a gun show and nearly peeled my fingerprints off. Man it was SHARP.

#10 ·
I can strongly recommend the Kershaw Leek and Boa. The Boa is generally over $50, but (sometimes) you can find them on ebay, or borad listing for $30-$50.

The Leek is a more "delicate" profile, but up for anything other than serious prying. Wicked , "jabby", point, and makes a great fist-load, for medium sized hands, on the SD side of things.

#11 ·
In the under $50 range I'd look at Buck, Case, Spyderco, Kershaw (Ken Onion models) and the Benchmade "Red" line. For edge holding performance I prefer 154CM or S30V in stainless and M2 for high carbon, heavy use blades - but that usually puts the knife well over the $50 range.
Jack

#14 ·
Lots of good suggestions. If you're looking for a knife that's strictly for utility, I'd probably go with a Buck. I've got a couple that have served me very well.
If you want something that could double as a SD knife, I would recommend the Endura or Delica from Spyderco, or one of the Benchmade Griptillians.

#15 ·
Best cheap /stay sharp knife I have is my Gerber LST . Blade is 600 Steel-? Works bettert han any other knife I have tried. I can skin/gut process a deer with this knife before it goes dull. My Buck skinner doesn't hold an edge as long. Best part is this Gerber has been thru heck and back. i used it fore years working construction. It cost me about $30. I imagine a mini version would cost less.

#16 ·
If the knife is for utility, take a look at Uncle Henry 5UH. I've had one for many (22) years...it holds a good edge. I've used it as an electrician, cable splicer, and even field dressing a deer ocassionally when I forget my hunting knife. When the edge needs touching up, I use a fine grit carborundum stone, then an Arkansas white marble stone, and finally an old fashioned razor strop (with canvas and leather strops) to polish the edge. The other benefit with an Uncle Henry is if you lose it, they'll replace it...or so says the guarantee I have that came with the belt pouch for it. I don't know if that warranty is any good as I have never lost the knife...it's not considered a self-defense weapon BTW.

#17 ·
You can get a Kershaw Scallion for under $50, the Leek will cost a bit more. Don't have a boa yet, but it'll get here eventually, I'm sure.

#18 ·
since no one has mentioned them ill chime in with CRKT m-16 i picked mine up for just over $50.00 and it holds an edge pretty good. I like the " trigger" on them better than the " thumb drive" kinves for one hand flicks.

#20 ·
Your like me, I lose knives also.Well...I usta lose'em. Heres how to quit doing that...
forget about those small knives that you can put in your pocket.
The key is to get a larger one ( folder with 4 or 5 inch blade) with a clip. Use the clip and attach to the edge of the front pants pocket. That way you know it is attached to you. Its a bigger and heavier knife, so you will feel the heft. It'll also be easier to retrieve out of pocket quickly.
I have had my present knife about 5 years. A Benchmade Griptillian. :biggrin2:

#21 ·
Ya' got good taste artz! I carry a Benchmade 750SBT Pinnacle (framelock in ATS-34) and sometimes supplement that with an 806SBT (axis in D2) if I'm going into unknown areas. Both blades are between 3.5" and 4" (4" being the legal limit here in TN). Would like to find an M2 Nimravus Cub (fixed blade) for offside IWB carry but other things are taking priority at the moment.
Jack

#22 ·
I have used many knives but prefer Spyderco. AT one time or another I had a Harpy, Jester, 2 Delicias, CoPilot, a bone handle Kiwi, and a Mini Dyad. I find the Delicias to be incredible knives. One is used for work (lawn service) and has never been sharpened. It is still very sharp after 5 years of daily abuse. The Mini Dyad is by far my favorite knife ever. It is as usable as modern folders but reminds me of old timer knives, sadly it was discontinued. I plan on buying the next Mini Dyad I find and will give it to my son whenever I have one.

#23 ·
I have to agree with the good words said about Sal's Endura's and Delica's. I have several of each, heck one even has my agencys badge on it. I also have the Spyderco/Emerson Wave Endura (my personal favorite Spyderco) but for the price you mentioned, the Delica sure is a handy carrying knife.

#26 ·
I've never seen one or handled one personally, they look like a nice knife on the website though. If I were in the market for a new folder I'd seriously look into one of these. Although I've had my eye on a Para Military.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.