Defensive Carry banner

Mini-30

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  ImaShepardRU 
#1 ·
In my collection/arsenal, I don't have anything that is chambered in 7.62x39.

The obvious choices are AK-47 and SKS.

I was thinking about taking a little bit of a different road. I have a Mini-14T and I love Rugers, so a Mini-30 seems to fit the bill.

I know you could probably buy 2 AKs or 5 SKSs for the same price, but besides that, I will take any opinions anyone has on them.

The bigger issue: The mags are about impossible to find. More so than many other larger capacity magazines. Does anyone know if AK mags will fit or can be modified to fit the mini-30?

#3 ·
I have a mini 30 ranch and an AR15 upper in 7.62x39 they both shoot fairly accurate ,good enough to take a deer out to 2-300 yards pretty easy

#4 ·
In my collection/arsenal, I don't have anything that is chambered in 7.62x39.
The obvious choices are AK-47 and SKS.
I was thinking about taking a little bit of a different road. I have a Mini-14T and I love Rugers, so a Mini-30 seems to fit the bill.
I know you could probably buy 2 AKs or 5 SKSs for the same price, but besides that, I will take any opinions anyone has on them.
The bigger issue: The mags are about impossible to find. More so than many other larger capacity magazines. Does anyone know if AK mags will fit or can be modified to fit the mini-30?
I had one years ago - nice rifles - not as expensive back then.
They make a nice deer rifle / home defense gun.
I spent waaay too much for a few highcap mags. :frown:

I have graduated to AKs for all around use now though. :yup:

#6 ·
I have one. Nice size, good performance, lots of cheap ammo available. Downside might be the relatively high cost of magazines, but unless you are planning an insurrection or something, you dont need too many of those....

#7 ·
I'm not such a fan of .223 and like the 7.62X39 as a sensible intermediate round so would go for it if I was going to acquire one of the Ruger Mini's. Magazines wouldn't be too much trouble to gather if you start NOW.

#9 · (Edited)
Have one. Love it.
This rifle has taken more deer in my hands than any other rifle I have owned. It is small and easy to bring into play. Solid mounts for scope. 5 round magazines are readily available for hunting. The 7.62x39 round with a 150gr round nose is DEVASTATING on deer. (Commercially available or easily re-loaded)
Magazines are not common, especially latley, but they are available, even up to 30 rounders. As far as that goes, this is not necessarily an MBR. How many extra high caps do you really need? I also have a Sako Tikka 7mm Rem Mag. try to get an extra box magazine for that puppy! :aargh4:
One down side that I have never liked is the scope mounts to fit the Ruger ranch rifle (the only thing available) do not allow for iron sight usage while the scope is mounted. (At least that I've ever been able to find). That bothers me in mind, but has only presented a problem on a close range, running snap shot once. (Couldn't get a scope picture) :mad: But the scope and rings can be removed fairly easily if there is a scope failure, and even holds a fair zero on re-install.
Ak's are better 'assault' rifles or main battle rifles, (although if buying surplus, condition and shoot-ability vary) mags are everywhere, but they are not as good of a hunting platform and they do draw more attention from :sheep:. Sometimes being the grey man is better.\

Oh yeah; SKS's are ungainly, ugly, cheap, mostly tooooo loooong, and not always accurate. They go bang, are less expensive to acquire, and accesseries are numerous.
OMOYMMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.