Defensive Carry banner

Choosing my first handgun, thinking XD 9

1K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  jtmoose 
#1 ·
So I'm in need of some help in choosing my first handgun. In the interest of full disclosure I'll point out the following so you can best assist me.

- I've never owned any type of firearm
- I've never fired any handgun
- I've used .22 rifles and 20 gauge shotguns on a limited basis, mostly when I was a teenager in Boy Scouts. We had a scoutmaster who was a LEO (asst chief of police) so he would frequently take us out to the FOP lodge outside of town and we'd shoot and run the police training courses (unarmed, obviously).
- I have a Kansas Hunters Safety Certification, so I'm not completely ignorant when it comes to firearms, but I'm pretty clueless.

I have two reasons for wanting to buy a handgun (as if one is really needed around here.)
- Learn to shoot
- Protect my family (at home right now, I'll worry about CC later)

I had originally looked into buying a Walther P22, due to its price and the low cost per shot to go to the range frequently and become proficient. I was attracted to the design and the fact that I'm a sucker for German engineering (I drive a Volkswagen, I buy those fancy Wusthof kitchen knives, etc) but after I went to a gun store and poked around a little bit more today, I decided to start handling a few guns. As soon as I picked up the P22 it seemed like a toy. I have slightly smaller hands then average, but after handling it I felt like I was going to break it if I actually shot it.

Worse then that, I looked at .22 LR ammo and decided "this isn't going to stop anyone trying to rape my wife."

I have once chance to make a purchase. My wife is rather "anti-gun" ... not in the sense that they we should be removing them from everyone, but that she doesn't really want one in her house. I have managed to convince her to allow the one, but I'd rather not risk asking again in 9-12 months when I've decided the .22 isn't going to cut it anymore and want something with a little more oomph.

So after giving up on the P22, the dealer put an assortment of other guns in my hands but it wasn't until I picked up the 4" XD 9mm that I fell in love. Right size, right weight, right feel. Obviously, I've not shot it yet, but it just seemed so right. Best yet, they had it on sale for $550 new.

So, am I thinking correctly? Is this a good choice?

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a fine gun. Practice will bring aim and confidence, but you need to make sure the gun you shoot "feels right". From my understanding the XD9 is considered to be atop the polymer shooting world.

#3 ·
Great weapon, my daughter just bought one. You may want to consider moving up to a .40 S&W if you want a little more horsepower. But either way fantastic CCW and a 9 with the right rounds should serve you well.

#5 ·
I think it's a good choice, especially for a new or less-experienced shooter. IMO, the loaded-chamber indicator and the striker indicator may help a new shooter's awareness of the weapon's status until he or she becomes accustomed to just knowing the status. I also like the grip safety, especially when I holster.

I've got a similar size XD in my pants right now (XD 45 compact, roughly the same size as the XD 9 service).

#6 ·
I also like the grip safety, especially when I holster.
I wasn't sure how common that was, so I didn't want to say anything about that at first, but I was really attracted to that as well. I like the idea that if I need to pull this out and fire it at someone/something that the switch isn't going to get caught on something and move or I'd forget to move it.

#8 ·
9mm is an excellent choice, but I'd keep looking for the right platform. If you really want an XD, keep an eye out in the for sale adds or in the used pistol cases at your local shop. There are plenty of used XD's to be had for cheap.

#9 ·
I think it's an excellent choice on the gun, but I'm not sure your getting a good price. You don't say exactly which configuration (all black or black/stainless) but I can get the 4" all black model (just checked on Davidson's) through my local dealer for $454.00 and the 4" black/stainless model for $506.00. You may want to check around a bit before you buy.

Hoss

#10 ·
The XD-9 was my first handgun as well as the first hand gun I ever shot. :king:

With that said, two weeks after buying and shooting it only ONE time, I was able to save my own life with it during a home invasion incident.

User friendly out the box even for the inexperienced. Great first gun. When I get the sucker back (if ever) its getting cleaned and going into the safe never to be fired again. :smoke23:

DO IT!

#11 ·
Go to the local range and rent one, fire a box or two of ammo through it, them decide. Shop around for the best price, consider used as well.

#12 ·
Just an additional thought: I also own the XD-9 subcompact. The barrel is 1" shorter than the service, and the grip is shortened to aid in concealment. With the short magazine, it holds 10 rounds. However, the subcompact also comes with a 16-round mag just like the service. With the larger mag, the feel of the subcompact in the hand is virtually identical to the feel of the service. I've shot both and I find no difference for me in accuracy at self-defense distances.

You probably know about the subcompact already, but thought I'd mention it anyway in case concealment might be an issue for you. I don't think the service is difficult to conceal with the right holster, clothes, and body type, but the subcompact will be easier to conceal.

I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, but have you also seen the XDM? Similar to the original XD but with a few minor differences. No compact in the XDM, though.

Good luck on your choices.

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.