Defensive Carry banner

Speed Strip vs Speed Loaders

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  boricua 
#1 · (Edited)
I would like some folks to weigh in on this. I have several speed loaders. They work just fine. However, when in their pouches, they are incredibly bulky and do nothing for conceal carry. What about speed strips? Never had or used one. Thoughts?

#3 ·
I just bought my first revolver for CC (S&W 642) and decided on speed strips instead of the speed loader also for concealment concerns. I am still practicing the best technique for reloading but find them easier the more I practice.

I have also read on this forum that you can carry a "3-0-2" configuration that makes it a bit easier to direct the first 2 in--I'm trying both ways to decide for myself.

I can pocket carry 2 reloads (though I normally go out with 1 for now) in my pocket using the speed strips too, which I also consider an advantage.

#4 ·
When I carry my 642, typically in summertime, I carry a speedloader and a speedstrip. In cargo shorts the speedloader pretty much disappears in one of the exterior pockets. The speedstrip rides in a Simply Rugged speed strip pouch on my belt.

#9 ·
I bought a 7 shot S&W 686 and got two HKS speedloaders. So far, I can't get the knack of inserting bullets in speedloader, twisting the knob and having the rounds all drop into the cylinder. I get 2-4 of them that stay in the speedloader. Maybe I am slow...

#10 ·
I have both speed strips and Jet Loaders for my 638. I'm pretty slow with the strips. A touch of arthritis doesn't help. The spring loaded Jets are pretty fast and positive to use.

To conceal the loaders I use a small cell phone pouch. Never get a second look.

#11 ·
I prefer speed strips because they are easier to conceal. They do take some practice to become proficient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.