Defensive Carry banner

Handgun with Light & Laser

5K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  SIGP250 
#1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if there are any handguns, Ie Pistols or Revolvers that you van buy with a pre-installed flashlight & Laser??? I was thinking about a gun for home defense and thought that a gun & laser would be a smart addition but would prefer if it I could find a gun with all that mounted and installed.

I know the S&W 340CT comes with a laser, but I have never heard of a gun with a laser & Light installed.

Is there such a thing, if so please explain. THanks.

Pics would be great!

#2 ·
None that I know of...I would suggest Glock or XD with a TLR-2 (new version with C4 bulb) it is very bright with laser included.

#3 ·
Here's my carry gun with the XML light installed. It stays on the gun at night in case any Baddies want to show up in the dark of night. The light works very well.

I do not carry the gun with the light on it though.

#4 · (Edited)
Most just have a rail, and you add what you want. My Sig P220 45 has a rail. I have a Streamlight TLR-2 that has a light and laser built into it. One shown is not mine, but shows it well.......

#6 ·
I've personally become a fan of laser grips, but I don't like lights on my handguns. I prefer my light to be in my other hand.

There is a reason for that, bear with me. In most cases, when you go to check out that "bump in the night" if your light is on your gun, you have to point a loaded gun at what you want to illuminate. That's fine if you illuminate the badguy, but what if it was Grandma raiding the fridge for a late night snack?

Also, the laser grip doesn't give away your position like a light would, and allows you to maintain your grip on the weapon. You can keep the laser on and cover the laser beam with your trigger finger. To work the flashlights, on the gun, you often have to adjust your grip to turn them on/off in most, but not all cases.

Where I do like lights on guns is in breeching or barricaded positions. In the case of the homeowner this would be in the "safe room" guarding the door after a threat has already been identified. Case in point, I clear the house and in the process of doing so am shot and killed. My wife has the shotgun with the light and the door to the room she is in is locked. Anything or anyone coming through that door is getting shot unless they identify themselves first, and the light on the gun is used to verify the identity.

Just something to think about.

Biker

#8 ·
ON LASER GRIPS

I will NOT be without one.

I have a laser grip on my .45, it is my primary home defense gun, together with a Borealis 1050 lumens flashlight.

After the alarm sounded...
My tactic is to get to the bedroom door and from there control the passage way and the living room, with the body protected by the frame and with only my half face exposed, one hand holding the pistol and the other hand the Borealis flashlight.

With a laser is not need to line up your face with the pistol, no tunnel vision, no exposing body parts to get into a shooting position.
If you are going to have a gunfight, this is the best way!

This, for me is the most valuable feature of the laser.

The flashlight with the 1050 lumens (two millions candlepower) will cook the eyes of an intruder.

Colt .45 with laser grips and the Borealis 1050 lumens flashlight.

Cheers

Black Bear

#11 ·
There are many types laser sights. Two of the most popular are Crimson Trace Grips and Laser Max.

Green laser sights are also becoming much more popular since the are easier to see.

Laser grips for some guns add to the width of the grip, not good. For this reason I usually look to LaserMax although they have not developed a laser for every gun and may never.

Kimber has a series of 1911's that are fitted with Crimson Grips.

My preference would be Laser Max instead.

Any gunsmith at the store where you purchase your gun can install a laser in a few minutes.

As for lights, I don't want to show myself so I won't use them.

Lasers are not an end all solution either except for point shooting.

#18 ·
I have Crimson grips on my XD (not my favorite pistol). It is just my preference that the width of the grip is not changed by adding a laser.

The slim width of the Walther PPS is why I carry it even though my Sig's are most dependable.

Adding a laser or light to the rail obviously presents problems holstering and concealing a pistol.

After using the Crimson grips with the XD I have decided that lasers and lights are not that necessary for me in most situations.

I understand your point about the possible effect of the mechanics of the pistol when the guide rod is altered by a laser.

Besides adding to the width of the grip, the Crimson Trace laser beam always seem to be in the way of my off trigger finger position.

For now, I probably won't add lasers to any of my other pistols, especially if it changes what I am used to in any way, either internally or externally.

#13 ·
My one snubbie has laser grips installed. It's the only piece with a grip mounted laser. I've tried them on Glocks and 1911s and my high thumb hold coupled with being left handed doesn't allow the use of a laser. All I do is paint my thumb.

My nightstand gun is a Nighthawk GRP Recon with a Surefire X300 mounted on the rail. In my particular situation, if it goes bump in the night, and it's humanoid shaped, it's getting covered. No grandma, no kids in the house. IF it ain't me or the wife, it's going to see the business end of a 1911 or a AR15

#14 ·
RE: original post, I have never heard of anyone selling a new gun with a light mounted already - If you find one let us all know! I prefer Crimson Trace and a Streamlight TLR myself.... Its better to have a flashlight and not need it than need it and not have it - particularly with dedicated home defense guns. Carry guns can be a different monster.

My .02

#17 ·
I use a Glock tactical light mounted on my G19 and a Surefire G2 hand held light for the very reason stated by jwhite75. The tactical light on the pistol is there to illuminate the target (BG). The Surefire is there for identification of possible intruders, you do not want your gun pointing at a loved one or a pet in the middle of the night.

I do not think that it is redundant to have a laser / light combo on your home defense weapon. You still should have a separate hand held light such as a Surefire or a Streamlight. OMO.

#19 ·
Two-for-one

I just bought this gun, a model 60 with a 2 1/8' barrel. I have so far only shot one box of 38's and half a box of .357's. I love the gun except that it seems to roll back in my hand on recoil, especially with .357's but even a little with 38's, as my bottom finger slips off the rounded grip base. I started looking for a different grip and found that Crimson Trace sells the "LG-305" that looks like it might be just what I need. It has a slightly enlarged grip base and the laser to boot. I bought it for my wife and expect the laser to give her more confidence.

How do you like yours?

#21 ·
I just bought this gun, a model 60 with a 2 1/8' barrel. I have so far only shot one box of 38's and half a box of .357's. I love the gun except that it seems to roll back in my hand on recoil, especially with .357's but even a little with 38's, as my bottom finger slips off the rounded grip base. I started looking for a different grip and found that Crimson Trace sells the "LG-305" that looks like it might be just what I need. It has a slightly enlarged grip base and the laser to boot. I bought it for my wife and expect the laser to give her more confidence.

How do you like yours?
Practice Practice Practice.

a different grip might help and I would be happy to sell you one but I think you are pulling on the trigger incorrectly. My guess is you sight but your hits on the target are down and to the left.
Am I correct?

If so, this is a very common problem.

I won't say any more unless you confirm that this is your problem.

#20 ·
you can buy Sig sauers with Ct grips straight from the factory but not with a light. Nighthawk customs sells their GRP 1911 with a sure fire x-300 weapon light but not the CT grips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.