Defensive Carry banner

Low sun - lighting

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Tom357 
#1 ·
Statistically I know it is reckoned that majority of encounters are low light or even dark.

I did wonder tho today, as walking back to house from office and scanning - just how darned difficult it is seeing well against the sun. Makes me think of fighter pilots attack methods - come out of the sun! Gets easier of course as sun gets higher towards summer - tho evening sun still problematic at times.

Obviously if something goes down, chances are we have zero choice about positions - lighting etc. Even strong street lamps can be tricky if in your eyes and a potential threat is in shadows - they have an advantage and our ability to identify threat could be well compromized.

So, really just acknowledging something that could work against us quite badly - even if a good yellow maintained. I'd much rather have the strong light/sun behind me!!

#5 ·
I forgot to mention - me too re a cap - most of every day.

Thing I was noticing tho was, with sun so low and yet still dazzling, even the cap was not giving enough protection - the glare was quite profound and certainly enough to prejudice easy vision in that direction.

This degree of extreme back-lighting is not too common but certainly has a most undesirable effect - I could envisage too at night - something like a low placed tungsten-halogen lamp producing some problems.

#6 ·
P95,
I know what you're saying. I didn't mean that a BB cap would solve the problem you described, just that they can help in a lot of lighting situations. Well, if you don't wear them backwards. :biggrin2:

#11 ·
Valid point Brian - problem is I don't wear them all the time - and Murphy would dictate that just when I had not got any - trouble! :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.