Defensive Carry banner

Concealed carrying in grocery stores + malls

11K views 47 replies 40 participants last post by  HavOkSIS 
#1 ·
In Washington state, there are some retailers who place signs that they are a "gun free zone". I have never seen those signs yet in the 10 years I have lived here. From the news I read, most crime happens in retail outlets like malls, 7/11s, gas stations, banks and parking lots of grocery stores.

I was wondering if some of more experienced members had suggestions or opinions about this.

#3 ·
Here in Las Vegas all the malls I know have signs posted at the entrances advising that firearms are not permitted. They don't mention that they are a "Gun Free Zone" but I suppose they could put one up that reads, "Target Rich Zone."

#4 ·
As one that lives a couple miles from you, I carry every were except , bars, and government buildings. Would you really go into our Walmart or Westfield Mall unarmed. If it came to it I would rather take my chances with 12 when it comes to mine and my families life.

#10 ·
As one that lives a couple miles from you, I carry every were except , bars, and government buildings...
I'm pretty much on line with this approach as I’m fairly confident a lot more folks are too. If someone should see it, Ok then leave. If they don’t (most likely) who cares? If you should ever have to use it under those conditions, then it wouldn't really matter to me at that point.
Regards,

#5 ·
I personally I dont pay to much attention to gun free signs unless I know that I cant legally carry there because all they can do is ask you to leave. In WA state preemption basically means that cant arrest you for bringing your gun in, but if you do get made they can ask you to leave. If you dont then thats where your going to get busted for trespassing. Anyways, sense I'm not good at explaining things here is the WA RCW on state preemption.

RCW 9.41.290 State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the
boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer,
discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including
ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only
those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW

9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided
for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the
requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the
code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

#6 ·
We have the signs in Kansas. If they meet the Attorney General's criteria and are conspicuously posted then the owner of the establishment can bust you for trespassing if you carry (whether you voluntarily leave or not). Check the applicable laws...only way you'll know for sure.

#8 ·
For Kansas there is one and only one 'Gun Buster' sign specifically described in the Law.

If you did not see or ignored the sign, the worst that can happen [other than loose your conceal license] is that you could be arrested for trespassing if you fail to leave the building when asked by management/staff.

My CHL cost $250 and a 60 day wait. I am not going to jeporidize loosing it to make a lame point about some non-compliant sign. Just move on.

#12 ·
Go about your business 'safely'...concealed is concealed.

Stay armed...Shhhhhhh...stay safe!

#13 ·
West Virginia doesn't have a particular type sign, but it has to be posted, or if it is a private residence, they must tell you or post a sign. I have on a few occasions seen signs banning firearms, and those are legal. If I don't see a sign, then it's ok. Exceptions are the usual local, state, federal and school property that isn't required to post them.

#14 ·
Pikachu, I don't know if you're aware or not, but those signs have no legal meaning in Nevada. You can be asked to leave, but that's it. Signs mean absolutely nothing. I continue to carry in malls, hospitals, etc. It's concealed, and unless I have to draw, no one will be aware of it.

#17 ·
Reminds me of the sign: “We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone”. Actually, there is no specific “right” under the law that supports this, other than you may be asked to leave for a specific reason. Where is the ACLU on that one?
Regards,

#18 ·
I used to work as a hotel desk clerk/night auditor. The sign you refer to, "We reserve the right to refuse serve anyone at anytime." is the exact type sign as the anti-gun signs. We had a few select people who were not welcome at the hotel. The general manager of the hotel made a list of people who fit this criteria.

#19 ·
Here in Florida the sign means nothing legally. Although I do avoid places that post such signs, infact Im happy to report one of these signs came down recently at a LEO/FD/EMT supply store. I also havent seen the sign that used to be posted at a local movie theater, then again Im not looking hard for it.

#22 ·
I have lived in WA a long time. I have yet to see one of those signs. Be that as it may, WA state is easy.

No schools (drop off and pick up in your car is ok).
No "over 21 only" areas of a bar.
No federial builings.
No local goverment buildings.
No secured areas of the airport.

anyplace else, sign or no sign, I carry.
because it is legal.

#24 ·
When we first moved here to Tennessee from Alabama (where I never saw a single sign by the way) we were shopping for a new bed room group for my daughter. New house and all, she needed a new bed and dresser and everything. We went to a Value City furniture store on Germantown across from Wolfchase Mall here in East Memphis. It was there that I saw my first sign. I was shocked.

So, to prove a point I put my gun in the car, as did my wife. We went in, picked out a bedroom group for her, talked to the sales associate, had them bring it all out in boxes ready to ring up, all $800 or so of it, then as he was tallying it all up I acted as though I saw the sign for the first time.

I asked him about it and he stated that it was company policy and he was very happy that it was. (Had he said he did not agree with it, I may have bought the furniture anyway) So, when he showed me the total and asked how I would be paying, I told him that I would not be paying. That I do not do business with a company that goes out of it's way to deny me my right of self defense. I told him we would spend our money with one of their competitors. And we did. And I made it a point to come back the next day and show the manager the receipt to make sure they knew how much money they had missed out on. I asked that the manager pass this info on to their corporate office. And I also wrote them an email with a scanned copy of the receipt. I never even got a reply but the manager did seem to see my point.

I always make it a point to tell a business owner or manager why I am not spending my hard earned money with them if they have a no guns sign.

#31 ·
We went to a Value City furniture store on Germantown across from Wolfchase Mall here in East Memphis. It was there that I saw my first sign. I was shocked.
What is it with furniture stores and gunbuster signs? I've been to two in Houston so far, both of which had signs up. Granted, the signs weren't even close to legal as defined by Texas law (Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection) so I ignored them, but it's still weird that I'm mostly just seeing the signs up at furniture stores.

I wasn't too surprised that they didn't want any weapons on the premises after I went in and was hassled by their pushy salesmen... :aargh4:

#25 ·
Bravo!!!! I will use that one next time I attempt to do business with a similar company.

BTW, here in AZ, the signs mean next to nothing and I carry discreetly EVERYWHERE (except the usual prohibited places)....signs be damned!
It's a war zone here with the tsunami of illegal immigrant thugs invading us. Murder, rape and car jackings by these swine and their gang banger groupies are commonplace in our cities these days. Going unarmed is just not an option for me.

Rant mode off. :wave:

#26 ·
That is a great thing you did Mike! I think most urban societies have become anti-gun....some of my acquaintances who live in their million dollar condos in Seattle get really anxious and disturbed when I tell them the importance of self defense and owning a gun.
Last year one of their sons was mugged in Belltown right outside his swanky apartment building. He was in a coma for a month. So the dad moves into a quiet suburb on the Eastside so he won't have to confront the muggers again. He STILL does not own a firearm!

I think liberalism has made us reactive and not proactive. By liberalism I mean Hollywood and television.

Jimbo, I am still waiting for my CPL, 2 weeks to go till it is 30 days, after that I decide to carry everywhere I go, especially to the mall.

The day the shootout happened, I had just left the mall. Had I been there, I would have been a total victim like the rest of the crowd.

After my CPL, I won't have too much fear of being in a situation like that.

#27 ·
I live in a pretty good ccw state. Unless I'm going into a school, courthouse/jail/police station, government office or post office the signs are really more of a policy statement.

It is not a criminal offense for violating posted signs.

The consequences for not leaving peacefully if caught and the police are called is a fine for 1st offense and a fine plus ccw suspension for multiple offenses within a 6 month period. The amount of time your ccw is suspended is dependent on how many offenses you had.

It's my understanding the police won't do much if they were called and you were not given an opportunity to leave peacefully before they called the police.

No one has ever noticed a concealed weapon on me in all the years I've carried so I pretty much do not worry about it.

However, each state is totally different on how they deal with violations of posted signs so it is best to know your own states particulars and any state you may be traveling in under reciprocity. It's my understanding that in a few states, you can actually be charged with a misdemeanor crime or a felony.

If it's a violation of the law in your state, I don't recommend doing it.

#28 ·
There is a Michigan specific website that posts businesses that do not allow guns. The validity is verified to make sure it is correct. The reason for this section of the website is so that people like myself can avoid these businesses and spend my money elsewhere. Is there a website like this for your state? Whether or not the sign has any legal bearing it does clearly show intent of the store owner. In this economy someone else will gladly take your money.

#30 · (Edited)
With the exception of on base at NAVSTA Everett (and designated Fed no-carry zones) and my daughters school (but only if I have to get out of the car) I carry everywhere (even when getting my nails done!) , including at work thanks to a like minded property owner. I only just encountered my first no-firearms sign. It is at the entrance just to the bar area specifically (not the main entrance of the establishment) of the El Gitano restaurant in Smokey Point

#33 ·
Just to be on the safe side, everyone should take the time to actually read their state code themselves. I'm in Oklahoma and EVERYONE I spoke to on the subject said that all they could do is ask you to leave. As long as you left upon their request there were no legal consequences.

Of course, as you might imagine...not true. According to our SDA if you're "made" in an establishment and the staff decides to report it then you've got a misdemeanor, fine and 6-month suspension of your CCL, whether or not you left upon request.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.