Defensive Carry banner

Good Dissecant for ammo in storage....

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  nutz4utwo 
#1 ·
Fellow shooters,

I have a tupperware container with around 800 rounds of SD ammo. I worry sometimes about moisture and such damaging my precious ammo (these days ammo is precious). I would like to know if you guys recommend a dissecant for me to throw inside the container in order to preserve the ammo.

Suggestions?

#3 ·
Silica Gel at Wal-Mart, or on-line. It is reusable. Get the one with the tint that changes color when you need to dessicate them.

#4 ·
Go to a pet store and get silica gel cat litter. Package it in something like a sock or cloth bag and you are done. Recharge in the oven occasionally at 200 degrees for 2 hours (obviously without the sock).

$15 gets you like 10 pounds.

#6 ·
Be warned about the Silica Gel kitty litter. There are several types / grades of Silica Gel (not all is created equal). Also most Kitty Litter that is made from a desiccant has Pheromones or scents added to it.

Also, avoid any Silica Gel that contains the BLUE silica gel which are indicating beads that contain Cobalt Chloride. Which is banned in the UK and listed as Hazardous material. Plenty of research and reports showing it is harmful to environment and can cause cancer. Just google Cobalt Chloride Hazardous and you will find plenty of info.

Several companies now sell the Orange Indicating Silica Gel that does NOT have Cobalt Chloride. Just Google Silica Gel Packets and there are a few that sell the Orange Indicating Silica Gel.

#5 ·
Know anybody who works construction? Pieces of sheetrock will do the trick. I save every little bag out of electronic equipment, medicine bottles, shipping containers and whatever to put in my ammo cans. I've also bought the large bulk bags at gun shows and rejuvenated them in the oven when needed. Most of my silica has come to me free!

#8 ·
Thanks for the suggestion about the Cobalt Chloride toxicity. I have never heard of it before. Ammo itself is fairly toxic (lead bullets and primers). I think as long as one washed their hands after handling and avoided children... it ought to be just fine.

here is the MSDS:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...PnSI2xM9C5gjqY6mA&sig2=1X4IiZI2cUavxzGWpxgHqw

Ramrod- Drywall- in the Kearney Nuclear War Survival skills he mentions that you can bake drywall to make a fairly effective desiccant. Field expedient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.