Defensive Carry banner

Your Favorite .40S&W Bullet Weight

7K views 27 replies 25 participants last post by  UtahRSO 
#1 ·
Here's one for all you who carry .40S&W. I know what bullet weight I prefer... I would like to hear what you prefer to carry and why.

I haven't made it a poll as I'm not sure how many different weights are offered in .40S&W and didn't want to leave anybody out.

#2 ·
My personal favorite is 135-grain or 155-grain for the added velocity, but many will favor the 180-grain subsonics.

#6 ·
Another vote for the 165gr HST JHP. Shoots like butter through my XD(m). I am not a fan of the 180gr - just can't seem to get a tight pattern with it.

I would like to give some 135gr / 155gr a try, but the ammo shortage has put that on hold.

#12 ·
180 gr Gold Dots. The 165 gr GDHP's have excellent specs as well. :yup:

#15 ·
I prefer the 180 Grain loads myself as they seem to be less "snappy" and tend to more resemble a .45 ACP than some of the lighter bullets do.

I have carried and used the 155 Grain bullets and would use them again if my supply of 180 Grain bullets ran out. I think I still have some stashed away. :smile:

Biker

#17 ·
Not all 165gr loads are the same. Some are pretty mild loads. Some, like the Gold Saber 165, are full power stuff. I load 135gr Quick Shok in my Kahr .40 and 165 Gold Saber in the spare mags. When I run out of the QS, I'll switch to all Gold Saber probably.

#21 ·
I shoot 155, 165 and 180gr pretty well, but prefer to carry 165gr for personal defense.

#28 ·
For years I've carried 155-gr. stuff pretty well exclusively in my 40's. I've tried Speer GD, PMC Starfire, and Hydra-Shok. All good. I shoot a few of the premium stuff at the range every now and then, so they get used up. A few months ago I found some Federal XM40HB (supposedly it's the HST bullet), and that's what I'm carrying now. They've all made gallon jugs of water come apart in a spectacular manner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.