Defensive Carry banner

? for my VA Brethern - Luray Caverns

6K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  MadMac 
#1 ·
Missus Mac and I are planning a weekend trip to Luray Caverns in VA this weekend. Yes, I checked the handgunlaw site, but this area confuses me. It involves state parks, tourist attractions that charge a fee, etc. My CHP os from NC - a reciprocal state.

I am planning to tote along my Kimber. I will do the VA tuck for retaurants where alcohol is served, but wanted to know about issues with where I will be going.

P.S. I know you aren't a lawyer, but I appreciate advice and tips from my colleagues here.

#3 ·
Yup. If you eat in a restaurant where alcohol is served, you must be OC to be legal. I will not drink, and will cover up after leaving.

#4 ·
The Caverns are a private business not a state park. Look for no weapons signs. Skyline Drive is a National park, gun restrictions.

The Va tuck is the law says no concealed firearms in places that serve alcohol. Open carry is legal. Sounds stupid I know. I am going back for a class reunion in Sept. I will have to remember to "uncover".

Semper Fi

#11 ·
The Va tuck is the law says no concealed firearms in places that serve alcohol. Open carry is legal. Sounds stupid I know.
"Virginia Tuck" isn't actually the law - it's what we have to do to remain legal while eating in an alcohol-serving establishment: uncovering your sidearm and tucking the shirt-tail behind it so as to keep it visible.

And yes, it is stupid.

#6 ·
MadMac

CC in VA state parks is legal, currently OC is not as ordered by King Kane in opposition to a AG opp ion.

Luray Caverns is private property so CC would be permitted in absence of signs to contrary.

Skyline drive is NPS so currently carry is no go until Feb. 2010.

Be safe.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the G2.

So, if I drive along the Blueridge Parkway, I have to pull over on the on-ramp and lock my Kimber in my COM safe and put the loaded magazines in the locked glove box?

Also, My COM safe is under the driver's seat. If it's locked and the ammo is locked up somewhere else, is that legal?

Thanks for all the replies/suggestions.

#13 ·
Eh, it's not so bad...it's a fun experience. A little out of the way, but if you're headed through the area anyway why not? It's a good thing for you to stop at for a day while going to DC, or visiting someone up north.

It's not for people who have trouble walking, though.

Welcome, VA is a great place to CC except for the whole restaurant thing.

#15 ·
#20 ·
I said I would report - here's what happened.

Had a fun weekend. Carried everywhere. Never saw a sign saying no guns - even at the caverns. The locals were quirky but quite pleasant. Played golf. Wandered the town. Had a relaxing weekend.

Reply to Mr "It's a Tourist Trap" -

So is Paris, the Via Venetto, and the entire state of Hawai'i.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.