Defensive Carry banner

Shipping to California for return drive

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  DrTodd 
#1 ·
I may be flying out to California from Virginia - where I have a CHP - and then driving back. For obvious reasons I'd like to carry on the return trip and with the exception of CA it's easy to stick to states with reciprocal permits.

The real problem is how to get the firearm to CA in the first place? Can/should I check it as luggage or would it be better to simply ship it UPS to CA and then pick it up once I got there.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Ship the gun to yourself in CA. Leave the +10rd mags outside the state or break them down into components before shipping. Assemble them outside the state.

Yes I do a lot of shipping to California so I have experience with their law.

#3 ·
If I have read the other post correctly you do not need a license for parts of Cali provided the mag is not in the well. Open carry is legal in some parts. Would fly out with it and drive it home. Just check handgunlaws.us to double check the states that you will be traveling thru.

#5 ·
Just make sure you are in compliance with federal shipping regulations of firearms.
There may be no limitations if you are shipping to yourself. Just make sure you are not breaking any laws.

I recently did something vaguely similar.
My wife drove to MI, and I flew out to meet her and drive back. I packed my gun & ammo in accordance with federal transportation laws and sent my carry gun with her so she would be in compliance while she traveled.

just make sure you are in compliance with federal transportation/shipping laws, or check it with you on the airline in accordance with those laws and airline procedures.

Have a safe trip!

#6 ·
It’s simple to fly with a firearm. Hard case that locks and the weapon has to be unloaded. Place the container inside your suitcase. Keep ammo in original box. I used a rubber band to make sure bullets did not fall out in flight. Make sure you declare it at the ticket check in counter.
When you get to CA, leave your pistol that way in the trunk. Federal transpiration rules

TSA: Traveling with Special Items
See TSA traveling with weapons

Have fun on your trip

#11 ·
I would research the CA laws very carefully, but if legal would just fly out with it in my checked baggage. Unfortunately (maybe fortunately) I haven't flown into CA for ten years so can't help with current restrictions.

IIRC handguns need to be shipped overnight by other than USPS ? ?

#12 ·
Civilians cannot use the US Mail to ship handguns. Only FFLs.

Civilians must use a private contract carrier whose policy states they must be shipped overnight. It is not illegal to ship a handgun UPS ground, it's just against company procedures.

#14 ·
I left Ontario international in California last Saturday and will be returning in a few days. Had my gun in a locked hard sided case in my luggage and the ammunition in the factory box. TSA looked inside the suitcase in my presence but did not look in the gun case itself. Less than a minute and I was on my way. Leaving out of Dallas/Ft. Worth to go back and expect the same. I would just pack it and check it.

#15 ·
I flew from Grand Rapids Michigan to LA(X) and back last September with my firearm. No problems whatsoever. Check the law in California and just make sure you are legal (10 rd mag capacity, etc.) The locked case will get you to your car. I stayed at my brother's place; just unpacked it there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.