Defensive Carry banner

A prayer before putting on CCW?

7K views 65 replies 52 participants last post by  Tom357 
#1 ·
Does anyone say a prayer (or would like to share theirs) before they put on their weapon in the morning?

I am very new to concealed carry, but it is a right so sacred that I never realized how powerful it was until I was able to do it!

I alway say, "Heavenly Father, please keep me safe today, keep my family safe today and please protect me from using this weapon unless I need to".

Bill

#4 ·
Dear Lord, let my weapon be used honorably, if it is to be used. Let it be straight and true, and never harm an innocent. Give me the wisdom, courage, and skill to use it well, yet keep me humble while I am armed.

Amen

I don't say it like that every day, but usually something to that effect.

#8 ·
I haven't done it yet, but I totally agree with it because I have read alot on CC & Self-Defense and from what I have read if you have to use your weapon it can be a very daunting experience from a physical & legal standpoint. It would be good to have god on your side in either case.

#44 ·
... It would be good to have god on your side in either case.
Sorry, but it would do no good to have a god on your side...God on the other hand is EXTREMELY powerful and if He is for you, who can be against you? (Romans 8:31 I believe).

A bit of a pet pieve of mine...God should be capitalized. Otherwise, it is not refering to the true God but a false god and what good does that do?

No offense meant whatsoever:smile:

#11 ·
It would be good to have god on your side in either case.
On the uniform belt buckle of every member of the SS the words "Gott Mit Uns" (God is with us) was enscribed.

I pray every morning. I carry because I believe God told me to (could have as much to do W/ how polite it makes me as anything else)but I never ask God to bless my piece.

I would pray when hunting that God help me not to cause any unecessary pain.

#65 ·
Mittens? and prayers

On the uniform belt buckle of every member of the SS the words "Gott Mit Uns"
To which traditional wisdom/foxhole legend holds the proper US troop's reply was "We have mittens, too."

I don't have any sidearm specific prayers. However, always say morning and bedtime prayers. Always, carry from morning to bedtime. So the act of praying and putting on the sidearm are coincidentally linked. In addition, the content of the prayers, although generic, cover the situation of being armed, as well as other things.

I alway say, "O Lord, support me* all the day long of this troublous life, until the shadows lengthen, and the evening comes, and as the busy world is hushed, and the fever of life is over, and my* work is done Then of thy great mercy grant me* a safe lodging, and a holy rest and peace at last. Through Jesus Christ my Lord." [* the words in the 1941 Song and Service Book for Ship and Field are "us & our."]

Then I ad-lib free-form details of my own.

Most time I read some scripture and some from the same Song & Service book. I especially like Washington's Prayer for the Nation.

Almighty God, we make our earnest prayer that Thou will keep the United States in thy holy protection, that Thou will incline the hearts of the citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to government, and entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another and for their fellow citizens of the United States at large.

And finally that Thou will most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that charity, humility, and pacific temper of mind which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion, and without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a happy nation.

Grant our supplications, we beseech Thee, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

(Written June 8, 1783 and sent to Governors of all the States.)

#12 ·
I think about it every now and then...now I was much more inclined to say a prayer before every shift when I was an LEO...Never a bad idea...

#13 ·
Does anyone say a prayer (or would like to share theirs) before they put on their weapon in the morning?
No.

I took a blood oath when I first pursued being legally armed. That applies to my every waking moment, now. I simply give it a final "pat" once I've holstered-up, as acknowledgment that it's there and as a reminder of the responsibility I have. The rest is up to criminals: don't attack me, and you won't have to be shown the meaning of "no."

#15 ·
No, not every time I load up, but I do often pray that I'll never need to use it and that if I ever do, that I will do so swiftly, responsibly and effectively. :wink:

#16 ·
I usually get up every morning and clean my gun. I use a brush and I pour the oil into a ceremonial bowl. Then I light incense and meditate in my kimono while I clean the gun. The blindfold is over my eyes as I sit and stare into the darkness that is in my soul. I know that I am a sheepdog and that it is my honor to defend the lives of the unarmed and the weaker people. Like other sheepdogs of history such as the Spartans, the Japanese Samurai, the Roman Centurions, The Praetorian Guard, the Vatican Guard, the Knights of Olde, and various other examples of history's sheepdogs.

I meditate for a few hours after cleaning my guns in the ceremonial manner and I meditate on the fact that I am ready to take the lives of humans if need be. I realize that I am entrusted with a sacred duty to protect the lives of others in our society. I know that I am honor bound to protect the sheep and I realize that I must be prepared to do what is necessary to do so. I realize this may include taking human lives but I am ready and my soul is bound with the warrior spirit and God knows that I will act righteously.

The state has entrusted me with the ability to defend myself and the lives of others by issuing me a CCW permit. This is a grave responsibility that I also see as an honor. It is quite possible that history can be changed by the intervention of a CCWer and I meditate on that fact quite often when I meditate before arming myself to go about my daily business. It is not a responsibility I or anyone should take lightly and it is a burden that I willfully undertake so that others will be safe in my presence. This is the kind of thing that us CCWers do because we are imbued with the spirit of the warrior and the essence of us is the protector, some call the sheepdog, as we are today's heroic warriors.

I would not call my daily meditation a prayer but more of an internal spiritual reflection.

#17 ·
That's just beeeutifool Oldskool. You had me at " Dear Gawd", I'm touched. I will pray to be more like you,a Ninja/Sheepdog/SpiritualWarrior for the ages. May the big carrier in the sky give me some of what you've been smoking.. .err...I mean what you've got inside you.

#19 ·
This is my handgun. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My handgun is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my handgun is useless. Without my handgun, I am useless. I must fire my handgun true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will.

Dear God. If you ain't packing, get out of the way!

Dear Lord, all I ask is a clear killing field so I may quickly waste the miscreant who is attempting to mess with me.

Yea, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil - for I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

All tongue in cheek. I'm not a religious man.

#32 ·
This is my handgun. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My handgun is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my handgun is useless. Without my handgun, I am useless. I must fire my handgun true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will.
:rofl:

#22 ·
Every day, but that's just habit of life not of being armed. I do pray on Sundays that God would put a shield of protection around our church and the families in it, and that if He calls me to be part of that shield that I would have courage and true aim, see clearly and protect my flock.

I don't script out prayers, though, just talk to God and let it go at that.

#24 ·
A great idea, but not necessarily something I think about doing everyday. I still have a DC list and other intentions I share with my Creator.

(If God decided to carry, it would of course, be a Glock!:yup:)

#25 ·
If I did, it might go something like this:

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. We shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

#26 ·
I say a prayer before bed and when I wake up regardless of carry. Ive always prayed for safety and health and such. Before I carried and even before I joined the VFD here, its always been something I did.

~Steve

#27 ·
A Note To The OP And Others

Normally we do not allow DC Forum threads centered around religion or religious prayer based threads for obvious reasons.

Some leeway is often granted if the thread topic is directly firearm or self-defense related as this one is.

Those reasons would be that we also have forum members that are not religious but, they do have the exact same rights to post their comments and opinions.
We value all of our members be they religious or not.

Personally I think that we would all be better off if our non-religious members (myself included in that group) would just follow The Golden Rule.
That would be:
"Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated."

Following The Golden Rule would go a long way toward ending the condescending and sarcastic comments on DefensiveCarry in general.

What ever happened to the virtue of Tolerance?
We are all on the same side of the pro-2nd Amendment/pro-gun/pro-personal self-defense fence.
There is no good reason to jump down the throat of a fellow forum member just because that person may (or may not) pray or a member is (or is not) religious.

The OP in this thread is not preaching that anybody who does not say a prayer when putting on his/her firearm is going to Hell.
He is not being religiously antagonistic or demeaning.
He is not forcing his religion down the throats of any other members.
He is simply asking a simple prayer related question of other members.

If the thread is not applicable to you because you are not religious then either move on to another thread or post your own personal opinion in this thread in a civil and respectful manner.

AKA we go back to the Universal Golden Rule:

Treat other members on this forum the same way that you would want other forum members to treat you.

We are not enemies here.

Rule #9 On The Forum Rules Page.
9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we prohibit these subjects in our discussions. We also discourage "caliber wars" and the virtues of "open carry" topic; strongly encouraging you to take these discussions to other forums where these topics are the focus.

```````````````

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.