Defensive Carry banner

Colorado State University considering ban on CC

4K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  mprp 
#1 ·
My wife just gave me the heads up on this. I googled it and got several leads. CSU Colorado, CCW

CSU officials weigh a gun ban; student leaders disagree - The Denver Post

CSU officials weigh a gun ban; student leaders disagree
By Monte Whaley
The Denver Post
Posted: 12/02/2009 01:00:00 AM MST
Updated: 12/02/2009 05:54:10 AM MST

Public-safety experts at Colorado State University and the school president's cabinet all agree the campus needs a concealed-weapons ban.

CSU student leaders, however, say packing heat keeps everyone safer. They may move tonight to try to keep the university one of the few in the country where concealed weapons are allowed.

"I think really it's an issue of if it's not broken, why fix it," said Matt Strauch, spokesman for the Associated Students of CSU.

The ASCSU student senate tonight is likely to pass a resolution that asks CSU president Tony Frank to keep current policy, which adheres to the state's concealed-weapons law. It allows someone with a concealed-weapons permit to carry a handgun almost anywhere on campus.

Only in residence halls are weapons forbidden.

Frank will weigh the ASCSU vote in deciding whether to form a different weapons law for the university, said CSU spokesman Brad Bohlander.

Currently, 23 states allow public campuses or state systems to decide their own weapons policies, with nearly all choosing to be "gun-free," according to the American Association of State Colleges and Universities.

CSU is one of the rare exceptions, deciding in 2003 to follow the state's concealed-weapons law. The ASCSU points out that concealed weapons have been allowed at Blue Ridge Community College in Virginia since 1995 and at Michigan State University since June.

No bans in Utah

Utah is the only state that prohibits its state institutions from barring guns on campus, the American Association of State Colleges and Universities said.

Recent events such as the mass shooting at Virginia Tech in 2007 prompted CSU's faculty senate last year to ask that CSU's concealed-weapons law be clarified, Bohlander said.

Both CSU's public safety team — which includes the campus police chief — and the president's Cabinet agreed in October that an almost total ban on weapons was prudent, Bohlander said. Exceptions would include security details for high-level visitors to the campus.

But students have overwhelmingly come out against concealed-weapons restrictions, Strauch said.

"I'm having a difficult time finding people really against keeping it as it is," he said.

The proposed student resolution — still being drafted Tuesday — said every shooting on a college or university campus in American has occurred on a campus that had banned students from legally carrying concealed weapons.

Left "defenseless"

"A ban on students legally carrying concealed weapons leaves students defenseless in these situations," the resolution says, as well as leaving them vulnerable to rape, robbery and assault.

Physics professor Richard Eykholt — chair of the CSU faculty council — doesn't buy into the students' arguments.

"If you have a classroom situation where somebody starts shooting and other people are shooting back, there is a real opportunity there for more bystanders to be injured," said Eykholt, who spoke as an individual.

He added that perpetrators in school shootings seemed bent on killing themselves and others.

"I don't think they'd be deterred by threats of anyone having a gun," Eykholt said.

#2 ·
Haven't school bans on guns completely kept guns off campus? Not. Just allows psycos to bring a gun on campus and leave students helpless.

#35 ·
Well, maybe if they posted "No Guns" more noticably, the psycos would read them too thus leaving their stolen gun at home. :rofl:

#3 ·
"If you have a classroom situation where somebody starts shooting and other people are shooting back, there is a real opportunity there for more bystanders to be injured," said Eykholt, who spoke as an individual.

He added that perpetrators in school shootings seemed bent on killing themselves and others.

"I don't think they'd be deterred by threats of anyone having a gun," Eykholt said.
One would expect a bit more logic from a Physics Professor.

#4 ·
Physics prof...really?

Physics professor Richard Eykholt — chair of the CSU faculty council — doesn't buy into the students' arguments.

Im with you Sticks....you would think this guy would at least understand correlation. Sure would like to know what he is basing this statement on. :spankme:

#6 ·
Lack of street smarts and/or any time spent in the real world. I'd even hesitate to guess 2D thinking. Too much time spent staring at a bunch of lines and squiggles on a chalkboard.

#7 ·
I heard about this last night in an email from a Colorado State Senator. He stated he's got his circle in the Senate writing and calling to offer more representation of our side. Pressure from Alumni will do more than pressure from the public. Sticks - I've got some email addresses for you (good guys in CO State Senate).

#9 ·
That really is one of the oddest things I've heard a professor say, and that's really saying something. If some lone whackjob started shooting up his classroom, I can honestly picture him saying "Okay, everyone stand still! He's going to kill himself any minute now....any minute...we only need victims getting hit, not more bystanders....annnnny minute now...."

They may or may not be deterred. However, if they're NOT deterred, the point of legal guns in the classroom is to STOP the shooter so he doesn't shoot any MORE bystanders. I honestly don't know why some of these people refuse to see their illogical arguments. And that's exactly what it is...willful ignorance.

#11 ·
He may as well said that no criminals one would be deturred by police on campus with weapons.......and he would be right at least........
Lets see...... definition of bystander: Person without weapon to defend them selves......

#12 ·
CSU is forgetting one small thing, THEY DON"T GET TO PASS LEGISLATION. The Larimer County Sheriff already told them they would be breaking state law to ban CCW on campus without placing a metal detector at every enterance to every building. CSU is a public college so the following applies:

(4) A permit issued pursuant to this part does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a
public building at which:
(a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each
entrance to the building;
(b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether
the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and
(c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon
in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.
(5) Nothing in this part shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a
private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity.
(6) The provisions of this section apply to temporary emergency permits issued pursuant to section 18-12-

This also applies:

18-12-105.5 Unlawfully Carrying A Concealed Weapon - Unlawful Possession Of Weapons - School,
College, Or University Grounds
1. A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if such person knowingly and unlawfully and without legal
authority carries, brings, or has in such person’s possession a deadly weapon as defined in section 18-1-
901(3)(e) in or on the real estate and all improvements erected thereon of any public or private elementary,
middle, junior high, or high school or any public or private college, university, or seminary, except for the
purpose of presenting an authorized public demonstration or exhibition pursuant to instruction in conjunction
with an organized school or class, for the purpose of carrying out the necessary duties and functions of an
employee of an educational institution which require the use of a deadly weapon, or for the purpose of
participation in an authorized extracurricular activity or on an athletic team.
2. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 18-1-106, upon a conviction for a violation of this section either
within or upon the grounds of any public or private elementary, middle, junior high, or high school or
vocational school, the defendant shall be a special offender and the court, if it determines that incarceration is
appropriate, shall be required to sentence the defendant to a term that is greater than the twelve-month
maximum sentence specified for the class 2 misdemeanor but not more than twice the twelve-month maximum
term specified for the class 2 misdemeanor. In addition to such term of imprisonment, the court shall fine the
defendant without suspension at least the maximum fine of one thousand dollars specified for the class 2
misdemeanor but not more than ten times the one thousand dollar maximum fine specified for the class 2
misdemeanor.
3. It shall not be an offense under this section if.
a) The weapon is unloaded and remains inside a motor vehicle while upon the real estate of any public or
private college, university, or seminary; or
b) The person is in that person’s own dwelling or place of business or on property owned or under that
person’s control at the time of the act of carrying; or
c) The person is in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance and is carrying a weapon for
lawful protection of that person’s or another’s person or property while traveling; or
d) The person, at the time to carrying a concealed weapon, held a valid written permit to carry a concealed
weapon issued pursuant to section 18-12-105.1 as said section existed prior to its repeal; except that it shall be
an offense under this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of
Section 18-12-214 (3); or
(d.5) The weapon involved was a handgun and the person held a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun or a
temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to Part 2 of this article; except that it shall be an offense under this
section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of Section 18-12-214 (3);
or
e) The person is a peace officer, level I or level Ia, as defined in section 18-1-901(3)(1)(I) or (3)(1)(II)(A);

#13 ·
www.9news.com

there is a poll up on 9news.com. on the lower left hand side of the page. let's hit that poll and really show our support.

"If students have a concealed weapons permit, should they be allowed to carry guns on college campuses?"

currently it's 281 yes, 180 no, 3 no opinion

#15 ·
I got my BS from CSU. Thanks for the heads up.

#21 ·
Looks like you didnt get the last of the BS they had, it's still being spred... O heck, your talking about the good kind of BS...:wink:

#16 ·
The poll is gone, must have been overwhelmed and did not get the results they wanted.

Easily 95% of the posted comments are for keeping CC on campus, as well as the student council voting to keep it as it is.

Must suck to be in Admin right now.

#17 ·

And creating a gun-free zone has worked so well. When will these idiots realize its about a right to self-defense and not just deterring a would be mass murderer!

#19 ·
Still can't find this poll. My Googlefu is weak today. Will someone post a direct link?

#22 ·
#23 ·
Yes 2591 Votes
No 2003 Votes
No opinion 50 Votes
4644 Total Votes

I have a hard time believing it is this close. Especially when the vast majority of the comments are pro gun.

#26 ·
Much I read about our current society is that nobody wants the chance of taking responsibility. For example, suppose a campus shooting occurs, a loony kills say 3 students and another student shoots him, stopping the rampage and in the process harms one bystander. There is a segment of society that will decry the shooting and say that a bystander was hurt. Some will blame the University for the shooting since guns were allowed on campus. For a cautious administration its just easier to say "no guns allowed" and then when the loony kills 30 people instead of three they can say " Its not our fault, we have a no gun policy".

#29 ·
This pretty much sums it up for all schools, employers, or many stores. If they have a mass shooting and get 20 employee killed another 30 wounded that is cheaper than one errand round from a CCWer. They would be sued for millions if they allowed CCW and someone gets "scared". The decision makers only look at bottom line and they have a legal dept full of lawyers saying they better have a zero tollerence policy on weapons.

#27 ·
Let me see if I understand

Shootings have recently occured at schools where concealed carry with permit is denied.

So... in reaction, here at a school where Concealed Carry is allowed and no shooting have occurred we better change something.

Got it... sounds like we have more people getting their "BS" at CSU now than ever before!

#28 ·
Just got this email from RMGO

CSU to ban self defense, Denver CCW Class Dec. 14th and Ft. Collins Jan. 11

Colorado State has been rattling it's empty saber scabbard for years about a "No Firearms Policy", but this week the (bad) idea reached a fevered pitch.
After the CSU Faculty Council (read: Liberal, freedom-hating professors) recommended to CSU President Tony Frank to ban firearms on campus, the student government quickly stood on the side of freedom and asked Frank to leave the policy as it is (i.e. permit holders, including students, can carry).

Then, Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden, himself first elected as sheriff solely due to the concealed carry issue (the previous RINO sheriff had refused to issue permits), publicly told CSU that his office (which controls the only jail in the county) would not enforce any ban on permit holders, wouldn't participate in detaining any valid permit holders, and his jail would not hold them. He also added that he didn't think CSU had the legal authority to enforce a ban that is contrary to state law.

And, despite a barrage of letters and calls from State Legislators, citizens and CSU Alumni, the CSU Board of Governors today recommended to President Frank (who makes the final decision) to ban all firearms on campus.

Understand that there are a few different issues here:

1. Banning faculty and students, via employment contracts and student code of conduct contracts, is an end-run around the state policy, and may or may not be legal.

2. Banning all firearms on campus, even with a permit, is a much longer step. And clearly, this is not legal, as Colorado law doesn't allow that, and even a liberal judge (the Meyers decision in 2004) ruled that Denver couldn't make it's own concealed carry rules, despite being a "home rule" city. How, then, could a taxpayer-funded public university?

Colorado University's Board of Regents voted many years ago to make their campuses "gun free", but CU's Regents are constitutionally created, and elected. CSU has nothing of the sort. So unelected bureaucrats are making policy in direct and flagrant opposition to Colorado law.

Did the Colorado legislature, in 2003's SB24, intend to have permit holders walk on campus armed?

As the only professional pro-gun lobbyist to endure the 9-year battle for "Shall Issue" concealed carry in Colorado, RMGO Executive Director Dudley Brown made it clear that this issue was addressed, routinely.

"This issue was addressed routinely, and though the NRA tried many times to include campus-carry bans, the legislature rejected it," said Brown, a gun lobbyist for the last 16 years. "The final bill, passed in 2003, explicitly allowed permit holders to carry on campus, but apparently some bureaucrats believe their students should be defenseless."

"Virginia Tech, Columbine High School, and every gun free zone sends one message: it's a Criminal Safezone, where citizens are defenseless," Brown said. "We'll fight this ban in court, as it is clear that liberal academia isn't going to stand for freedom."

RMGO pushed CSU to recognize the right to carry in 2001, and has been on the leading edge of the issue ever since.

#30 ·
Idiots. I really do wish someone just once would use the words "Illegally Possessed or Carried Firearms"

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | Colorado State University bans guns

DENVER (AP) - Colorado State University will join most major colleges nationwide in forbidding concealed weapons on campus after a vote that pitted faculty asking for a ban against students demanding the right to carry guns.
Advertisement

The university's Board of Governors voted 7-0 Friday to require gun bans on its campuses in Fort Collins and Pueblo.

Guns are already off-limits at K-12 schools in Colorado, the University of Colorado and at virtually all campuses nationwide. But Colorado State University has followed state law that allows people to carry guns, even concealed weapons with the right permit.

Both concealed and unconcealed weapons will now be banned.

Officials said the gun ban will leave Utah campuses as the only ones where concealed weapons are allowed. Utah has a law allowing concealed weapons on state property, and a court has ruled there is no exception for colleges.

Colorado State board members acted Friday after a faculty group at the Fort Collins campus asked for a ban.

"Overwhelmingly the faculty feel our campus will be a safer place" with a concealed weapons ban, said Dan Turk, associate professor of computer information systems.

Many students opposed the ban, and the student government at the Fort Collins campus urged the board not to ban guns.

Senior Brady Allen, who lawfully carries a weapon on campus, told the board that fear of an accidental discharge from a concealed weapon was a silly reason to ban guns.

"You might as well ban everything that has a potential risk - cars, alcohol and sports," said Allen, a 25-year-old history student and a former Marine.

Almost all college campuses nationwide ban concealed weapons. But gun-rights advocates say the bans make students vulnerable to attack. The question took on greater prominence after a gunman at Virginia Tech killed 32 people and wounded 23 before killing himself in 2007.

Since the Virginia Tech massacre, proposals to repeal campus gun bans have been considered in many states, although none has been repealed.

Currently, 26 states ban concealed weapons on any school property. Twenty-three states, including Colorado, allow individual campuses to decide for themselves, though CSU officials say they don't know of any other major schools that allow concealed firearms.

In Colorado, it's unclear how many students at either campus are permitted to carry concealed weapons. The campuses don't keep records.

Spokespeople for both schools have said they suspect that few carry guns. Many students aren't even eligible, because Colorado requires permit holders to be 21.

Colorado State's unusual gun policy stems from a 2003 Colorado law that made concealed weapons legislation statewide, not variable by county. After that, the University of Colorado in Boulder banned concealed weapons.

Gun rights activists sued, arguing CU couldn't change state law on campus.

When a judge sided with CU in April, upholding the gun ban, the faculty at Colorado State's Fort Collins campus proposed a ban there, too.

Now it's up both Colorado State presidents to write and enact gun bans on their campuses. The board's vote instructs the presidents to submit a weapons plan by February.

#31 ·
Stupid liberal ideology, just gets our kids killed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.