Defensive Carry banner

AR15 iron rear sights...suggestions?

7K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  OD* 
#1 ·
Wanting suggestions on which ar15 (m4a3) iron rear sights people like?

I never plan on adding optics.

#3 ·
Used it the way to go. People are always taking off their rear iron sights and selling them when they buy fancy optics. There is little need for a folding one if you never plan to add optics.

Mine has got one of these it works fine: Lewis Machine & Tool Company :: www.lewismachine.net

Do you plan to use the range markings to calculate bullet drop as was intended?

#6 ·
The LaRue BUIS is what's sitting on my rifle, my brother's, and my dad's. We like it. My next BUIS will be Troy folding BUIS to see how they compare.

Check your PMs, something. :wink:

-B

#7 ·
LaRue BUIS does not have the in the field windage and height/range adjustment. I would miss it. It even says it is intended to be a backup, not a primary sight.

The CSAT has a small aperture for 7-100 yards? The small aperture greatly reduces your field of view at close distances and in darkness. Offset from sights to barrel is overrated. 2 inches low at 7 yards is just fine with me. Who needs rifle sights at 7 yards? :)

The standard military carry handle or M4 rear sight has some clever things that do make life easier. This weapon and it's sighting system are designed to be flat shooting +- 2 inches out to 200 meters or so... Little need to mess with extra junk.

My LMT sight as above has a large aperture for 0-200 meter shooting. No range adjustment necessary. Flip up the small aperture and you are set at 300 and can twist and adjust height to 800 meters.

#8 ·
I got the A.R.M.S. sight.... and don't like the large aperature at all, to me it's hard to quickly sight in anything... even at close range. The small flip aperature is fine, but I find the top groove for quick sighting at long distances the easiest.

#27 ·
Troy for a folder.

Daniel Defense and Larue for a fixed.

RRA for an adjustable.
Added DD to the list, but otherwise this is good general advise.

-B

#24 ·
I have a Magtech buis on mine. It works well so far and was a cinch to zero in. It's currently in use on the AR I built out a few months back and it's been a tack driver so far. I haven't had an occasion to run it out past 250+- yards yet though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.