Defensive Carry banner

CWP revealed during a traffic stop?

6K views 22 replies 22 participants last post by  dripster 
#1 ·
I often see where someone mentions your CWP coming up when a LEO runs your tag, license during a routine traffic stop. I asked that question to one LEO, a friend of my son's, and he said no, that it would have to be specifically requested from a different database. This is in Florida.

Can anyone, preferably a Florida LEO, confirm this?
:hand1::questionmark::yeah:

Don't really care what happens or anyone thinks happens in TX, AR, etc. Different states have different systems.

#3 ·
I can only speak about Ohio. If a LEO has a computer and is tied into a data base such as MARKS, LEADS, etc., the information will pop up on his screen when he runs your plates. The car has to be registered in the name of the CWP holder for this flag to be raised. It will also come up if he scans your DL. In Ohio, there's a mag strip on the DL which has searchable information on it. I believe that if there's no computer, dispatch might have the information and pass it on, but it's not automatic.

The downside is that my wife does not have a carry permit. If she's driving my truck, the LEO who might stop her does not know who the driver is until he approaches, so if you have a CWP, and someone other than you drives your vehicle, it's a good idea to let them know that they may get "special" treatment.

#4 ·
I don't think the Florida CCW permit is as easy accessible to law enforcement as many other permits. I specifically got a FL permit, so it wouldn't come up when I got pulled over. Whereas with a Missouri CCW permit, it is on your driver's license and comes up when the police run your name.

#9 ·
I often see where someone mentions your CWP coming up when a LEO runs your tag, license during a routine traffic stop. I asked that question to one LEO, a friend of my son's, and he said no, that it would have to be specifically requested from a different database. This is in Florida.
FL LEOs do not automatically know that you have a CWFL.

#10 ·
In AL, it not only does not come up but the Leo that pulled you over can't even ask for it specifically or call dispatch. Our permits are held on file at the local Sheriffs office and are not accessible unless the LEO calls the sheriffs office of the county the permit was issued from during business hours. We also don't have to tell the LEO we are carrying.

#11 ·
Your Concealed Weapon or Firearm License does NOT come up in FL when LEO's run your driver's license.:nono:

#13 ·
Just checking in from Virginia.

I took a tour of the dispatch facility here, and YES, A RED BOX shows up on the dispatcher's Computer screen with your information about concealed carry in it. He/She will advise the officer that called that you have one.

#15 · (Edited)
Don't really care what happens or anyone thinks happens in TX, AR, etc. Different states have different systems.
Looks like only 5 of the first 13 responders paid any attention here...
:rolleyes:

#21 ·
I was thinking the same thing...

#18 ·
Very I-n-t-e-r-e-s-t-i-n-g.

The downside is that my wife does not have a carry permit. If she's driving my truck, the LEO who might stop her does not know who the driver is until he approaches, so if you have a CWP, and someone other than you drives your vehicle, it's a good idea to let them know that they may get "special" treatment.
Personally I have no problem with the LEO knowing MY CCW status but it might be worth while registering the vehicle only in your wife's name to prevent her from being hassled if she is driving. Just so you know, I have been married to my first wife for 45 years and her leaving and taking the car with her is not an issue. You may be some what less secure! LOL :danceban:

#19 ·
Yeah, my kids live in Florida but none of them dress like those cool rich cops on CSI. Also, they don’t carry guns since they just don’t agree with their crazy old military dad. Here in the ‘Guns R’ Us’ State of Arizona, it’s a don't ask - don’t tell affair. However, if I thought I could make a brownie point or get a 'slide-away' from a LEO ticket, I would flash away. Fact is, I don't drive a like a kid anymore, so I'm not really high on their watch list.
Regards,

#23 ·
Some states do tie their cwp registry to dmv hits, in that case they will know if you are a license holder as they are running your info. Florida has a separate database. They would call into command and have them run a query on commands terminal or maybe if they are up to date run it through their MTD inside the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.