Defensive Carry banner

Looking for a Lightweight Commander or Smaller, I think?

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  golfer 
#1 ·
I have been looking at the lightweight Colt's, Commanders (XSC I think they are) and really want one. I held a 4" Kimber Raptor over the weekend that was just beautiful, but not lightweight.

I "think" I want a Commander size or at least 4" to avoid the problems I have heard about with shorter 1911's but what I like the most is the smaller framed aluminum models. So I get confused when I try to juggle between going for a smaller model with reported reliability issues to a larger but not full size model.

I am most interested in what I am missing, I know their are some nice Springers and some people love their Kimbers, and a Colt, is well, a Colt, a great piece of history.....so I am curious if I am missing the boat on an obvious other 1911 to consider.

So, here is my criteria (again, I think!):
  • 1911 platform in 45 ACP
  • Lightweight to carry if I like, although I have a Glock 30 for that main purpose
  • Want a full grip of the gun, no pinkie dangling, I have medium hands
  • Want something well made and reliable without spending more than say $1,300 or so

I wish Kimbers didnt scare me (from the bad rap's I have read, to the MIM quality complaints) because the Stainless Raptor I held was a work of art!

Thanks in advance for your help and thoughts.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd personally stick wirh the original 5" barrel length for the following reasons:

* Less chance of a malfunction due to the faster cycle time of the slide.

* Higher velocities = better ballistics

* Longer sight radius for more accurate shooting

* Just as easy to conceal as a Commander length pistol with a quality holster and belt. Carried my Springer Standard almost everyday for 19 years and was never made.

* No full length guide rod!!!! :mad:

I personally owned a SA Champion that made 5 trips to the factory before it would run. Never trusted it again and sold it off.

Have personally seen numerous chopped .45's give their owners fits more than full length size 1911's and Kimbers were the most troublesome of them all.

Now on a positive note I would only own a Colt Commander if I was to go back to packing a 1911 with a short barrel. Have shot quite a few of them and not one bobbled on me. I do want a Commander as a range / fun gun as I do think they are one classy looking pistol!

Having said that I'll stick with my 5" Springer as my bedside weapon. I trust it!

JMHO

#3 ·
Kimber Pro CDP meets your spec...

I only own one 4 inch Kimber so I can't claim expert status, but the one I have, a CDP Pro, has worked perfectly for about 5 years and several thousand rounds. It is well suited to carry, with a lightweight aluminum frame, melted slide, night sights and checkered front strap. I have added slim grip panels and a single side safety to replace the original ambi safety. I trust the gun.

#6 ·
I only own one 4 inch Kimber so I can't claim expert status, but the one I have, a CDP Pro, has worked perfectly for about 5 years and several thousand rounds. It is well suited to carry, with a lightweight aluminum frame, melted slide, night sights and checkered front strap. I have added slim grip panels and a single side safety to replace the original ambi safety. I trust the gun.

The Kimbers scare me from what I have "read"...but I love them in the hand.....

#4 ·
I shot my Colt New Agent today for the first time. Very reliable, no problems and no sights. Very nice gun. I had a Colt Defender that I sold at a good price to a friend . It, too, was utterly reliable. Check out Colt's offerings, they make a good product and the unique way they throat the barrel chamber seems to really work as far as feeding goes. Good luck and if you have any questions about either of these models, I will be glad to help. I can't post pictures though. john

#5 ·
Thanks John, and I appreciate the offer for more questions. I was seriously considering a small (like 3") 45 but from all that I have read, was turned off a bit for fear of poor reliability. I have a custom built full size 1911 (Safari arms frame, Colt upper) that I have has since 1989...and no other 1911's and now have the itch...really wanted a small one but feel that a Cammander is the smallest I should go.

So my Q to you is, have you, in your experiences, found the small Defender models to be as reliable as larger 1911's? I love the Talo Night Defender, or the regular Defender. Also, why did you go with the New Agent after owning the regular defender?

#10 ·
I like the Commander.

By Commander, I mean the Lightweight Commander - I'm an old guy.

The three-quarters off the barrel length isn't so important, but the twelve ounces of weight differential is serious in concealment factor. Plus, with the full sized grip, recoil is not markedly more severe than the full size gun.

My Commander is an older pistol, I believe from the '70s and I have no idea what they cost these days. They do show up used from time to time and are usually functional or at least worth replacing a couple parts and a bit of tinkering.

#13 ·
I'm a stickler for only carrying pistols that have never ever had a single FTF, misfire, stovepipe, etc and out of the 10 semi-auto pistols I own, that group only includes my Glocks (G32 and G36) and my Kimber Tactical Ultra II. I've put plenty of rounds, in excess of 1,500 rounds both practice and SD hollowpoints per gun, through each of my carry guns before they have the chance to become a carry weapon. And the Kimber is right up there with the Glocks from my personal experience. And accuracy is excellent even with the short sight radius. I can't speak for the decrease in velocity from the shorter barrel but I'm fairly confident that a 45 ACP +P TAP or PowerBall round would be sufficient to get the job done.

Don't discount the Kimbers just because some folks have had problems. Some problems are operator error, bad maintenance, or just that lemon gun which happens with any brand. IMHO Kimber makes a pretty nice pistol for the money. If you want something you can throw down in the mud, drive your truck over it, and then pick it up and engage a target, I'd get a Glock. For a well made 1911 at a reasonable price, I wouldn't pass up that nice Kimber that put a twinkle in your eye.

#16 ·
I like the Kimber lightweights. I also have medium hands and use the shorter grip quite well. It is just right for me and all fingers are in full contact with the grip. Your hands may be different.
dI have 4 commander sized pistols with short grips and one Kimber Ultra 3". The 3" has been a wineer for me and has not failed on a single round yet. That surprised me as I thought they might be fussy.
Kimber, Springfield, Wilson, Nighthawk, Baer all make lightweight pistols. You will be happy with a lightweight. They are easier to carry, still controlable and handle well.
I had my way with Colt long ago and frankly am not interested in anything they have. IMO, there are too many options that give you more for the same dollar. Your mileage may vary.
Best wishes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.