Defensive Carry banner

Why i hate 2 piece Guiderods or Always Check your Gear

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Bud White 
#1 ·
Or better Titled Where did the F-ing thing go

So after spend most the day at my actual house waiting to pick the old lady up from airport i decided i was leaving the HK 45 for her so i would carry the glock 20

After thinking some more and fondling stuff in the safe one of the many versions of old slabsides was calling to me

SO i looked and the Springer lightweight had a mag it in so i took out of safe and check yep loaded and put it on

Wore it out to mom and dad took it off and happen to look at it and SOB the guide rod was missing this is the only 1911 i own that still had the guide rod ..

I post this to tell everyone ya should check it over other than a quick glance i did i know better but well ya know how it is

Now i got to find a GI guide and plug

Would the gun function sure would it damage it ? probably not but now i got 2 holes in the front instead of 2

SO everyone Give your gear a check out next time ya carry it and a good look over if you haven't carried it lately

See less See more
#2 ·
Salutary lesson there Bud - I too am not a fan of 2 piece rods or FLGR's of any sort!

For sure tho yeah - it has to be one of those things that need checked but, so easily overlooked.

#8 ·
Woody said:
I have to tighten mine occassionally too. Is it possible to dump the two peice?

Sure ya just need a Gi guide rod or stubby if you wanna go all out the parts from ed brown will set ya back 25$ or so

then you need a spring plug

Go to midwayusa for a good breakdown with selectable parts for the 1911 ya aint gotta buy from there but you can make sure your picking right parts

#9 ·
PatrioticRick said:
My springer has one, after shooting I was getting ready to clean and it was already loose. Was a wake up call.

Ive had this problem with every other springer but this one they way it was on my too do list and not done yet funny thing is i didn't shoot it yesterday so how did it disappear

Course on my loaded it got replaced because i lost the dang front half while cleaning the gun rolled of bench never to be found again

#10 ·
DITCH the doggone Guide Rod in the Colt & Colt Clone pistols folks.
They do absolutely NOTHING to improve practical accuracy.
And especially the 2 piece guide rods are trouble waiting to happen in a self~defense handgun.
And what do the guide rods "GUIDE" anyway???...nothing.
They guide nothing.
The recoil spring does not need to be guided...and never needed to be guided in Colt Pattern pistols anyway.
Just my personal opinion on that.
None of my Colt pistols have guide rods.

Oh...I forgot......They are supposed to "prolong" recoil spring life ?
And what do the BEST Colt recoil springs cost??? ~ $6 ~ $8 dollars Max.
And for a lousy $6...folks put up w/ PITA Assembly & Disassembly for months.
Folks should be changing their recoil springs BEFORE they need to be "prolonged" anyway.

#11 ·
Changing the guide rod assy. will sometimes change the POI. If you cannot get the POI that you desire(high/low) from a certin load, sometimes changing the guide rod setup will help. That's if you do not want to frig with the sights. They even make a Tungsten GR assy for those extra pesky gunz.

I have left mine in. They are OEM Colt.

One of my weapons(Colt MKIV/70) was very hard to setup to shoot the 165gr. CorBon ammo. Damn,that stuff is HOT !! -------

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.