Defensive Carry banner

Need help in my AR decsion.

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  David in MI 
#1 ·
I have narrowed down my choices for my use and budget. They are:

BOTH M4PROFILE
A: CMMG bargain bin AR15, 1:9 barrel, WASP coating, made from traded in parts. $650 out the door take it off the wall and go home.

B: Built my own using a Double Star complete upper "kit" (everything minus stripped lower), and a Sharps lower. 1:9 barrel, chrome lined, "F" marked front sight :confused:. $625-650 total with shipping and ffl.

Is the DS upper gonna be better than the CMMG just because of the CHROME lineing? If there is any extra "value" in building it, is it worth the time to put together and wait on parts?

Discuss please. :boese51: Trying to figure out wich is the best route to take of the two listed options.

Yes, I do know that both will need mags (already ordered) and a rear sight or optic.

#2 ·
Chrome lining reduces barrel wear and carbon buildup, but can have the effect of slightly reduced accuracy. An F marked front sight base is a little bit taller and designed to be used with a flat top (railed) upper. Note that with a 1:9 twist you will probably be best off sticking with 55gr ammo.

What is your purpose for this gun - is it a range plinker, a toy, or are you planning on taking carbine courses, using it as an LEO, or any other serious social purposes? If the latter, I would suggest saving up another $300 or so and buying what is referred to as "top tier" components to build your rifle. Parts from companies such as Colt, BCM (Bravo Company Manufacturing), LMT (Lewis Machine & Tool), Daniel Defense, Larue Tactical, and Fail Zero are a little bit more expensive than the bargain bin parts but are worth every penny when reliability is more important to you than a lower entry cost. It's not necessarily a matter of being leaps and bounds ahead, but it's attention to detail and the little things, like using the proper buffer, extractor spring, magnetic particle (MP) testing and shot peening, a properly reamed chamber, etc... all things that could be done as upgrades to a cheap gun to improve it but are already incorporated into the top tier guns. Over on M4Carbine.net, a similar question was recently answered, and here is how he broke it down:

USMC03 on M4Carbine said:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=552153&postcount=29

Here is a list of things that Colt, LMT, and BCM do to their rifles to ensure reliablity and long service life.

Note that that DPMS, Bushmaster, Stag Arms and Olympic Arms (and others) DO NOT include these features:

-MPI Bolt
-Pressure Test (HTP) Bolt
-Shot Peen Bolt
-Black Extractor Insert
-Properly staked gas key
-M16 Bolt Carrier
-MilSpec Barrel Steel (Bushmaster uses 4150, but it's not the same grade as defined in the TDP)
-MPI Barrel
-Pressure Test Barrel
-1/7" Rifling Twist
-M4 Feedramps
-"F" Marked Front sight base (needed for flat top receivers....this is why you need the taller front sight post for Bushmasters.....Stag has a F Marked FSB.... but the others don't)
-Milspec carbine receiver extention (this is why you can't fit a SOPMOD, Vltor, or any other Milspec stock directly onto the receiver extention)
-Staked castle nut (this is why sometimes the castle nut on the receiver extention (carbine buffer tube) comes loose on Bushmasters)
-"H" Buffer (heavy carbine buffer)

**The only exception is Stag Arms does include the following on their guns:
-"F" Marked Front sight base
-Milspec carbine receiver extention
-Staked castle nut on ***

The difference is quality, features, and attention to detail. The difference between quality and just as good as is a lot more than just a different roll mark.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I tend to think at first blush I would go with the DS.

#8 ·
Thanks. I've been looking at a differant kit than the DS I was planning to get. The new one is a del ton but its 1:7 and chrome lined for the same $$ as the DS 1:9 moly. My lower should be here today. If not I'm gonna be p**sed as none of my$150 that I ordered early last week has shown up yet.

#9 ·
Building from parts helps one to learn much about the AR rifle. I would say it is worth it just for the experience.

#10 ·
Do the bargain-bin CMMGs come with their normal lifetime warranty? I would check on that for sure. They may offer the warranty on the upper but the lowers are often from other companies (DPMS, etc).

I bought the same upper as the CMMG you are looking at, although with a gas-piston, and have been very pleased with it (in case you are looking for anecdotal evidence). My gun had a sheared hammer pin which occassionally caused the gun to fire off a 3-4 round burst. I contacted CMMG, sent them pics and they immediately shipped me two replacement pins. I wasn't thrilled about the broken pin but their customer service was quite good.

You may also want to check CDNN Sports, Inc. as they were offerering CMMG products at prices lower than CMMG was selling them for on their own website. Once you get to their page there is a link to "download catalog." This may take some time as the file is fairly large but you may find a new CMMG in the ad for not much more than the used guns in the bargain bin (I believe the uppers are new but the lowers are used).

EDIT: I just downloaded the catalog. Looks like the best price on a new WASP coated AR from CMMG is $750.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.