Defensive Carry banner

Bill To Allow Concealed Carry Without Permit Passes House(merged)

12K views 128 replies 62 participants last post by  HahnsXD 
#1 ·
A bill in Wyoming just passed the house that will allow concealed carry without a permit. Now that is pressing the 2nd Amendment issue to the max!

Have to admire those ranchers up in Wyoming!

You can read about it at:
Gun Rights Report

#2 ·
WY is beginning to get close to what RKBA was really meant to be about.:yup::congrats:

#27 ·
Same here. I still find it funny that in the couple of states that made cowboys famous (and gunslingers) that we can't carry openly if we chose to and that we are "forced" to get a CHL.

Then again, maybe our history is why those restrictions were imposed, as wrong as I think they are.

#7 ·
Wyoming .... my hat is off to you for continuing to set a good example.

:hand10: :hand10: :hand10: :hand10:

#9 ·
Nation wide we need to stand as one and make our voice heard, loud and clear. As a whole; our country and elected leaders need to understand that our Bill of Rights states that we the people have the right to keep and bear arms and no piece of paper in the form of a state permit or otherwise should be required in addition. This needs to be our way forward,.....our way back! Me!

#16 ·
^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^

But its all about control.
What disturbs me is the fact that when THEY decree it's alright for you to do something, they can always take it back

'Because that's all the ammunition we had.'
Polk Co. Fla. Sheriff Grady Judd

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, I think that is great, but let me ask this, now that WY is taking a '
2nd layer out of their finding out if someone is a total dipchit or loose cannon, is there anything to do with the background checks the initial stages to ensure that no loose nuts slip by to ruin this for the rest of us.

What I'm getting at here is so the Antis can't come back later after an incident happens and say see "if they would have had to go through that CCP course or check also, they would have caught that looney".

Just mentioning it to see, the more layers you take away from a preventative measure, the easier it is for something to go wrong. Just like in the military or nuclear sector of our country, we put in layers of defenses to stop anyone from getting through, sure stuff still happens, but not as much if those layers were not there.

#13 ·
Ok, I think that is great, but let me ask this, now that WY is taking a '2nd layer out of their finding out if someone is a total dipchit or loose cannon, is there anything to do with the background checks the initial stages to ensure that no loose nuts slip by to ruin this for the rest of us.
The bill is for CC WITHOUT A PERMIT..so no background checks. There are already federal laws that prevent(ahem) felons from touching a gun.

Bad guys are already carrying concealed without a license...so what's the problem. This is just levelng the playing field.

#22 ·
If you are a Montana resident and you decide to travel, will you be able to carry in other states? Reciprocity is based on the states involved having a screening process and issuing permits. Just curious.

#36 ·
Gun bill gains backing

It would allow concealed weapons without permits

Gun bill gains backing
CHEYENNE -- A proposal that would allow people in Wyoming to carry concealed weapons without permits passed an initial legislative hurdle on Thursday.

If the bill passes, Wyoming would become only the third state in the nation, after Vermont and Alaska, to allow conceal-carry without a permit.

Under House Bill 113, the only people not allowed to carry concealed weapons in the state would be people under the age of 21, convicted felons, those convicted of drug-related charges, alcoholics, those with physical disabilities that impair their ability to handle firearms, and people who have lived in the state less than six months.

Currently, Wyoming residents must apply every five years for concealed weapons permits.

While most of the restrictions right now on acquiring a permit are listed in the bill, current permit rules also require applicants to show proficiency in using firearms and forbid issuing permits to people who have been judged legally incompetent or who have been committed to mental institutions.

Rep. Lorraine Quarberg, the Thermopolis Republican sponsoring the bill, said the legislation is meant simply to spell out rights that are already guaranteed under the Wyoming Constitution and the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

"I just believe people have the right to protect themselves and defend themselves," Quarberg said. "And I want to make sure that we put it in statute and people know they can do it."

Even if the bill becomes law, Wyoming would still issue concealed-weapons permits to residents wishing to carry their firearms across state lines, as many other states require permits before allowing them to carry concealed weapons there, Quarberg said.

Gun owners would also still be prohibited from bringing their firearms into courtrooms, police stations, jails, bars, governmental meetings, athletic events, schools, or houses of worship.

Some of the six state representatives who voted against introducing the bill said no longer requiring permits could pose a danger to law enforcement officers in Wyoming.

Rep. Pete Jorgensen, D-Jackson, went further, saying that loosening gun control regulations, except for hunting, would be dangerous to everyone.

"I've been in situations in other countries working where I'm glad I didn't have a gun," said Jorgensen, who served overseas in the U.S. Army. "I've not sure I would've controlled myself."
[Emphasis added]

#26 ·
Don't get me wrong here folks. I think this is a great idea, in theory it's great, in reality, in my view and we all have our own views here and though I may try and change a view, that's all I can do is try if I don't oh well, no harm in trying.

We had a thread on here recently about a guy in a bar with a gun shooting a blackberry (a 32) of course it didn't go through, he had a CCP.

Now take that and multiply that one individual by Millions, not just thousands, but millions and with common sense disappearing at a rapid rate in this country and take away the CCP, well I don't need an imagination for this one. This is jmho.

#29 ·
A gun is used over 2 million times per year by good people to stop violent crime, the vast majority of the time without shots ever being fired. People who already aren't enthused about firearms and have a desire to carry and be good at it aren't even going to know about this legislation. And yes, as much as you may not like it, your looney neighbor who doesn't know about guns has the right to protect himself and his family against violent crime as much as you. If you don't like it, call your senator and ask him to propose an amendment to the constitution refuting the second amendment. Whats wrong here is that after I have taken the class and payed the fee and filed the paperwork, I still have to play the waiting game before I am allowed to exercise my right and protect myself and my family out in public. If violent crime finds me before the 60 day wait is over...too bad for me.

No shooting test required in Utah either.

Guardian, I wouldn't worry about liberal gun haters getting a hold of this legislation, I would worry about them getting a hold of your exact argument and using it....

#30 ·
Bad idea! However, we assume that most local Wyoming folks have been brought up with guns in the wide open spaces. But, we can also foresee some bad sad sensational stories caused by people who just get or buy guns and then start carrying them all around town. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Our CCW classes emphasized the responsibilities and potential legal and civil consequences of CCW and making mistakes. No problem for anyone to have guns in the home, as long as they were not criminals and are reasonably sane and well behaved. Drunks with guns having fun in bars and cars? Who's the best in the old west?

#33 ·
It hasn't happened in Alaska or Vermont.

OTOH, drunks with guns having fun in bars and cars seems to be the norm in Chicago, NY city, Washington DC, etc.

Something :banned: wrong with the logic of all gun bans -- even partial ones such as requiring permission to exercise the RKBA.

#51 ·
Nothing can save one from being sued. The only thing that can save one from losing his freedom in criminal proceedings or losing his home in civil litigation is being on the right side of the law and having a jury to see the the efficacy of one's action.
WY is moving toward the removal of the requirement for CCW permit. Please re-read your BoR, 2A. The opponents of the bill evoke the same arguments we heard not long ago in the dark ages of concealed carry rights:
"t adds another level of danger to our peace officers who are the front line in the field. It ties their hands in determining whether or not an individual is lawfully carrying a weapon or not."
I side with the sponser of the bill:
"It's a good idea for anybody in the United States, not just in Wyoming, because it basically solidifies and codifies and affirms our Second Amendment right, and allows us to protect ourselves," - Rep. Lorraine Quarberg, R-Thermopolis (main sponsor of House Bill 113). (SCOTUS ensures nothing but the BoR need "codify" our 2A right). The bill now goes to the House Judiciary Committee. Godspeed.

#40 ·
The downside to not having a permit is without a permit you can't carry in reciprocating states,no permit no carry,It would be great to have no permit carry in all 50 states,but with only a couple doing it you would still need a non resident that reciprocates with states you travel too or you are limited to the state you live in

#46 ·
See post 36 above:

Even if the bill becomes law, Wyoming would still issue concealed-weapons permits to residents wishing to carry their firearms across state lines, as many other states require permits before allowing them to carry concealed weapons there, Quarberg said.

#53 ·
Wait a second, who said the good guys are sitting at home because they can't carry off their property they can if they get a permit. The issue is about doing away with permits. Now who is interjecting their own views into this which is fine, that's what this sight is about.

My whole point in this was, we will if some have their way now of millions of people carrying weapons that otherwise would not have due to having to take a test and go to a firing range to get certified to have a CCP license, now they won't, how anyone can see that as an accomplished and a good thing is beyond me.

I'm not trying to prove any point here, my point is proven by watching the news every night or reading the papers. I'm not trying to say that states that allow carry have higher crime rates, I could care less, that was not my point in the first point youngda, so now if you want to pat yourself on the back and say see Guardian doesn't want to prove a point he wasn't undertaking, go for it partner, whatever makes you feel important or good.

It's ok, I'll state my view, I think it's a dangerous road to go down. I'm fine with CCPing.

By the way, the only two states that have no license requirements that I know of at this moment in time are Alaska and Vermont and I think their combined populations don't equal Dallas, so an anaylsis of crime rates for those two states compared to anything or area would be useless in a comparison rating youngda.

I learned a long time ago in the military, when dealing with someone who thinks they are right all the time or is unwilling to listen to any point but their own is to wish them a good night and be blessed and take care.

That is what I wish for you, have a good night, be blessed and take care.

#54 ·
We all need to think past our state lines; we are a people of one nation and our goal needs to be one nation, one law. Currently Alaska will issue a CC permit if you require the need to CC in another state where reciprocity is currently granted. That being said, we need to work to make all states the same as AK and VT. Once we recoupe our rights as stated in our Bill of Rights, the issue of reciprocity will be no more. Remember, just because there are state lines, we are all Americans....living in one nation. We need to work togather as one people.

#55 ·
Now I do agree with the above, As I stated in the beginning, I like the idea, but do have some concerns with it also. That's doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see it happen or if someone came up to me and said Guardian your the deciding vote on whether the bill passes or not, well the bill would pass then.

#60 ·
Arizona Is Next

I just read where Arizona's proposed gun law changes will include a concealed carry without permit provision!

Proposed changes to Arizona concealed carry law

Alaska and Vermont are there, Wyoming is a lock, and Arizona will press hard!

Is this a movement?

#61 ·
If Wyoming and Arizona follow Alaska and Vermont's example then it may lead to a chain reaction just as Florida's shall issue legislation back in I believe it was 1987. We probably don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves though but this is definitely good news.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.