Defensive Carry banner

5.11's Thumb Drive Holster!

6K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Chevyguy85 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I kinda like it. Would like to try one. Thanks for the link.

#5 ·
Interesting protection, but a bit bulky for CC here in FL...not a bad idea, though...:smile:

#6 ·
Very interesting, and probably good for a duty holster or open carry. However, I'm not a big enough guy to conceal something like that without wearing conspicuously large clothing.

#7 ·
it seems like a good holster, however, just for Glocks and I am not sure on the fit. Seems kinda big, but for my tactical reasons seems good. A good contender for the Blackhawk Serpa. I wish they would have shown more about the holster and not their shooting. I know they can probably shoot, but I want to see more of the holster in action. I guess I need to play with it. Good looking out Thumper!

#11 ·
Agree with comments. Thanks for heads up on this interesting design. The design does not appear to be for pocket carry but makes absolute sense for other carry positions. I pocket carry and realized right away that most pocket carry holsters "slide around" too much. They may not come out of pocket but I did not like the sliding around as I gripped the firearm to present it. Starting with a cheap Mikes, I ended up glueing several pieces of bike tire at the point on the holster where my thumb would normally be as I grip the firearm. It works like a charm and allows my thumb (in its normal place) to basically hold the holster in place as I grip and remove my firearm. I moved on to a real thumb push design with the FIST kydex holster and even though I use its thumb push platform in some pants pockets, I still glued pieces of bike tire as an additional platform slightly lower than the FIST design for added flexibility. I now see other kydex pocket holsters (grandfather oak) that are less expensive and, with my retrofit, would have worked fine. I do not mind having a
bike tire retro; I consider the holster a tool that is in my pocket and is not for designer review.

#15 ·
Looks like it would make a good duty holster or for soft clothes details.

#17 ·
De Santis Facilitator

The De Santis 'Facilitator' OWB holster (DeSantis Holster & Leather Goods) seems to be very similar (guess there's no copyright on holster designs). I tested one for a magazine article some time ago, and found it very fast.

On the Facilitator, the release button is directly under the thumb as you make the draw. The holster is Kydex, while the backing plate is leather, with three slots for adjustment.

#18 ·
The De Santis 'Facilitator' OWB holster (DeSantis Holster & Leather Goods) seems to be very similar (guess there's no copyright on holster designs). I tested one for a magazine article some time ago, and found it very fast.

On the Facilitator, the release button is directly under the thumb as you make the draw. The holster is Kydex, while the backing plate is leather, with three slots for adjustment.
This looks like a nice holster..

#19 ·
I looked at this out of pure curiosity, and know zip about at-the-waist anything holsters, but I liked what I saw so much (the ability to do pull-ups on the grip of your gun when it's in the wall-mounted holster; the heat/melt retardance) that I saved it to make Kevin watch.

His opinion, watching that video, went from "I'm watching this because you asked me to" to "interested" to "impressed" to "I need to have one" long before we got even to halfway through the video. He has experience as a first-responder in disaster scenarios and that experience is what would make him have an opinion on the subject. If that's at all meaningful to you.

my question, though, is if it's so easy to depress the thumb button, what keeps a BG from depressing the thumb button and getting the gun? Is it simple anticipated unfamiliarity with the holster? Or is there some angle-of-pressure action protection going on?

#20 ·
I guess i'm going to let me geek side shine through but when i read the thread title "Thumb Drive Holster" my first thought was "haha someone made a holster for a thumb drive" (the jump drive/thumb drive thingies you put in a computer/laptop). I didn't pay attention to which sub forum it was in just assumed it was in the off topic/humor. Clicked the link saw the 5.11 and said oh crap 5.11 made thumb drive holsters thats pretty cool! Then the video really started playing and all I saw was an actual holster...completely killed the cool factor and anticipation of seeing a thumb drive holster. Darn the geek inside of me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.