How much time for carry ammo?

This is a discussion on How much time for carry ammo? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was thinking about this subject today and thought to amass the wisdom of the Defensive Carry folks. How long do you carry ammo in ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: How much time for carry ammo?

I was thinking about this subject today and thought to amass the wisdom of the Defensive Carry folks. How long do you carry ammo in your magazine before you deem it unreliable. I know the situation will change due to humidity and exposure to sweat or moisture.

I had an experience at the range a couple of weeks back with my S&W BG 380. The first mag was Winchester hollowpoint rounds I'd been carrying for about 8 weeks. I had light strikes or misfires on about 2 or 3 of the rounds. I thought "great, the problem is getting worse." The next 50 rounds were flawless. This will be about 400 rounds through that gun. Maybe it has finally blasted through the light strike dilemma!

Anyway, any thoughts or experiences are appreciated.
    Plan Z: Hope for the best.

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    It lasts forever. The problem is the BG 380, known for light strike issues. Keep your ammo for however long you feel comfortable, no one will convince you otherwise.
    oldman45, OlCop and AZJD1968 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon at large.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member
    You'll hear a wide range from the members here. For me, every 6 months. The top 2 rounds (the one in the chamber and the one at the top of the mag) get lit every range trip, to prevent a set-back induced squib load. (I do a lot of dry fire training at home, so I have to unload the round from the chamber. Reloading that round can cause a set-back of the bullet in the casing.)
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

If you have an excuse for failure, you will.

I don't use range ammo for my carry guns. When I go to the handgun range, the first guns shot are the primary and the BUG with the ammo in them and the spare magazines. I want to know that the guns and spare magazines work as carried. I usually go to the range at least every other week.
    Slice11 and gunpoor like this.

I shoot my defense ammo when I change the clock twice a year. Unless something happens that might cause problems with my ammo. Like when I got caught in a complete downpour on my bike. Gun and ammo were completely soaked. Cleaned the gun and changed out the ammo after I got home and shot the rounds off a few months later with no issues.
    5lima30ret and dangerranger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    I don't use range ammo for my carry guns. When I go to the handgun range, the first guns shot are the primary and the BUG with the ammo in them and the spare magazines. I want to know that the guns and spare magazines work as carried. I usually go to the range at least every other week.
    Pretty much my regime as well. The first mag shot at the range is the one I've been carrying, then I go to ball for practice. When I get home the spare mag with SD rounds go to into the EDC, the original mag gets filled with HP and goes into the mag pouch. So, my SD rounds live about a month.
    If you can't write your idea on the back of a matchbook cover, you don't have a clear idea - unknown
    Never mistake activity for achievement - John Wooden

I swap out my SD ammo (Used to be Gold Sabre by Remington, now Federal HSTs) every year. I tend to think that's a safe time period.
    FLSlim likes this.

VIP Member
    I change mine out about 3 times a year. At the beginning of the summer, end of summer, and around New Years. If I get rained on real good I'll change it out.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Your pistol the problem. Not the ammo . Best call S&W and get it fixed
    FLSlim likes this.
    “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.metroarms1911forum.com

1911's forever !!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It lasts forever. The problem is the BG 380, known for light strike issues. Keep your ammo for however long you feel comfortable, no one will convince you otherwise.
    I know. I'm moving towards carrying my Glock 26. It's a process. The BG was a gift from a mentor. I will eventually replace it with the G42. I want to have the option of having a smaller pistol. Not comfortable with that in 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    You would consider Winchester hollowpoints range ammo?

Administrator
    High quality factory ammunition is basically waterproof.
    Exposure to penetrating type oils can possibly be problematic though.
    If your factory ammo gets wet in a downpour simply dry it off.

I am not saying that high quality reloads are not waterproof only that there could be more potential variables with some reloaded ammunition.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by hick63 View Post
    You'll hear a wide range from the members here. For me, every 6 months. The top 2 rounds (the one in the chamber and the one at the top of the mag) get lit every range trip, to prevent a set-back induced squib load. (I do a lot of dry fire training at home, so I have to unload the round from the chamber. Reloading that round can cause a set-back of the bullet in the casing.)
    Squib load...had to google that one. Thanks again to the DC community.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by addywon View Post
    I was thinking about this subject today and thought to amass the wisdom of the Defensive Carry folks. How long do you carry ammo in your magazine before you deem it unreliable. I know the situation will change due to humidity and exposure to sweat or moisture.

I had an experience at the range a couple of weeks back with my S&W BG 380. The first mag was Winchester hollowpoint rounds I'd been carrying for about 8 weeks. I had light strikes or misfires on about 2 or 3 of the rounds. I thought "great, the problem is getting worse." The next 50 rounds were flawless. This will be about 400 rounds through that gun. Maybe it has finally blasted through the light strike dilemma!

Anyway, any thoughts or experiences are appreciated.
    I run fmj ammo in my .380 carry gun, which I shoot several times per week, so the ammo doesn't stay in the mag very long.
    "To reject the notion of expertise, and to replace it with a sanctimonious insistence that every person has a right to his or her own opinion, is silly."

Tom Nichols

Distinguished Member Array Coconut's Avatar
    BG380 is ammo sensitive, and in my experience it doesn't particularly like Winchester rounds, especially Winchester W Defend. It also hates steel cased Tulammo. On the other hand Fiocchi, UMC, Federal, Hornady, Precision One, and Lehigh all run fine.
    You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links