Favorite semiautomatic .22 LR. - Page 4

Favorite semiautomatic .22 LR.

This is a discussion on Favorite semiautomatic .22 LR. within the .22 Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks for all the replies. I think I've decided to take a chance on Taurus and get a TX22. They have had great reviews. I ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree169Likes

Thread: Favorite semiautomatic .22 LR.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I've decided to take a chance on Taurus and get a TX22. They have had great reviews.

I really wanted to get the Ruger, but then I remembered that the last 3 Ruger pistols I bought were jammomatics. I don't know what happened to their QC, but it's MIA.

Thankfully their CS is top notch. It's just a dang shame that I had to waste my time and effort sending them back to get them running like they should have been from the get go.

On the positive side, I do love their revolvers.

I'll be sure to give my review of the TX22 after I've gotten a thousand or two rounds through it.
    airslot and ShooterGranny like this.

Colt Woodsman.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I have a 1961 colt huntsman dad bought to teach me to shoot with at 6 years of age and its been dependable as it can be . Today I have a DW 22lr revolver that a fine shooter too and a 6" ruger heavy barrel mk3 then went home soon after buying for reliability issues and now has a valquartsen trigger kit in it but its not nearly the shooter that old colt is or as accurate and with a still stock 2lb trigger that makes a well tuned 1911 envious . No interest in others .
    msgt/ret, bmcgilvray and SatCong like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I use to have one favorite 22 pistol, Ruger MKII. I now have two favorites . Added to my MKII is my Taurus TX 22, I don't go to the range without these guns in my range bag. Both are a great way to end a trip to the range.
    airslot likes this.

I have a Ruger 22/45.. Exceptional accuracy, and eats most anything, and is a joy to operate.. So smooth.. However, I will NEVER open it up again.. It will get turned upside down, and sprayed out.
    Also have a Ruger SR 22.. Its pretty nice, but I really wish I had gotten the M&P .22 instead. Quite accurate gun, easy to operate as well, but I still wish I had bought the M&P .

Have a tiny little North American Arms single action 5 shot .22LR/.22 Mag.. Its made like a piece of exquisite jewelry. I can't hit anything with it unless I am maybe 5 feet away.. At most... Its REALLY small.. cute as hell though!

and like everyone else I have a plain old $200 wood Ruger 10/22 .. simple and so reliable and accurate, with ANY ammo, that in my opinion its THE best value out of any .22 rifle ever made by anyone, and that still holds true in the modern age.. That little rifle is a joy to own and shoot..

A few months ago I was just about to add to my small .22 collection. I spotted a cute little mint condition Jennings .22 with original box for $125, Could have had it for $100.. Told the store owner I needed to research the gun a bit and I would be back later that afternoon, or the next day... Read horror story after horror story about horrid quality, firing pins that break if you dry fire the gun, and the fact that they invariably fired when dropped, even with the safety on, and that it was recommended to NEVER carry this gun with a round chambered.. er umm no thanks, I will keep my .22 collection as is for now.... bob

msgt/ret, airslot and Texas Red like this.

I got a nice Beretta 21A at Scheels this last week for $65. I didnt expect much, but I can shoot it really well.
    5lima30ret and bmcgilvray like this.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    S&W M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9
    Kel-Tec KSG - S&W M686+

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar
    I've had a couple Ruger Marks over the years, currently have a MKIV, had a 22/45 once and didn't like it at all. Also had a Buckmark hunter with the 7.25 in barrel and never could get used to the barrel length. Recently bought a Buckmark Medallion that is fairly new to the Buckmark line up and after doing a little work on it I think it is the best .22 target pistol I've ever owned.

Member COTEP CBOB0772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

Ever completely forgotten about a gun you had?

I did...

A buddy customized a 10/22 a few years ago...dropped in some Volquartsen parts, slapped on a nice bull barrel...accurate little beast. But...he also customized the stock to fit him, and it never fit me at all...he sold it to me a while back, and I figured Id replace the stock...but never did. So it sat in its case, in my closet...forgotten.

Until today; I was at my local fun shop, and spotted a bare stock sitting behind the counter...looked nice, asked what it was for...

Its a Boyds (I think? Looks like one of theirs, and the laminate leads me to think it is) that someone had modified for an adjustable comb, but then they covered the laminate with what appears to be green bed liner. The price was right...and I suddenly remembered I had a 10/22 that needed a stock!

Now, I need to get to the range with it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Favorite semiautomatic .22 LR.-4b5c31c3-a83d-4862-8d4f-362606af3e26.jpeg  

There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I presently have the Mark IV 22/45 target which runs flawlessly with bulk ammo and is super easy to clean. It's my first choice for the best I've had which also includes a Walther and a Buckmark.

bmcgilvray and airslot like this.
    U.S. Army Veteran SP-5

My 2 favorite semi-auto .22's are both S&W M&P's. M&P 22 Compact and M&P 15-22. Both are very reliable even with crappy cheap bulk ammo which I have quite a bit of! (Thanks to the ammo shortage several years ago!) I have a Ruger 22/45 that is extremely accurate...but it tends to be very picky on what it eats!
    airslot likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    My 2 favorite semi-auto .22's are both S&W M&P's. M&P 22 Compact and M&P 15-22. Both are very reliable even with crappy cheap bulk ammo
    I have both those guns and they are indeed a lot of fun and not fussy about ammo. It would be real hard for me to pick one as my favorite over the other. When my son and I go to the range it's surprising how fast we run through a brick of ammo with those two.
    airslot likes this.

VIP Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    My favorite .22 semi-auto rifle is my old Remington Nylon 66, which I've had for 55 years
    airslot, bmcgilvray and msgt/ret like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    Wanted an Apache Black Nylon 66 when I was a young teen. Really caught my eye. Thought about collecting Remington Nylon 66 rifles a few years back when I kept turning up the various color variations at the gun shows where I do overnight security. Never made a start though so still don't have one.

Mohawk brown, Seneca green, and Apache black. The Seneca green is suppose to be the most uncommon and that and one gun show exhibitor had two of 'em. I don't believe I'd ever seen one before. Both were under $300 too. Oh well, could 'a, should 'a, would 'a.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    I'm wondering what are the best old-time vintage semi-automatic .22 rifles out there that one could pick up. Two ".22 automatic" rifles live here, a Winchester Model 190 and a Ruger 10/22. Everybody knows the 10/22. The Winchester Model 190 is a sort of an underwhelming cheap-o design. What would be the best of the semi-automatic .22s from the age when materials and workmanship was king? Read that "blue steel and walnut."

I've had experience with others' Browning semi-automatic .22, Remington Models 24 and 241, and Winchester Models 03 and 63 but never owned one. Don't know a thing about the Winchester Models 74 and 77, Remington Model 550, or a Savage Model 6A.

Which ones are most trouble-free? Which one's are easy to disassemble to properly clean?

A really nice Winchester Model 77 with box magazine is for sale at my local gunsmith's, $225. Trim, modernistic and somehow intriguing, but Winchester did begin to field some cheapened designs that were fair turkeys by the mid 50s to early 60s.

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links