KelTec fans

KelTec fans

This is a discussion on KelTec fans within the .22 Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here ya go all you KelTec guys.....P17...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: KelTec fans

KelTec fans

Here ya go all you KelTec guys.....P17

KelTec fans-kel-tec-p-17-left.jpg

Senior Moderator
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    Kel Tec guns are for the most part garbage. Interesting concepts, poor manufacturing. If they work the kinks out great and the following is a sample of one. But it doesn't breed confidence.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by entertainment72 View Post
    Kel Tec guns are for the most part garbage. Interesting concepts, poor manufacturing. If they work the kinks out great and the following is a sample of one. But it doesn't breed confidence.
    I'm sorry you feel that way,I have two P3AT's I've had for several years now and after a fluff and buff I haven't had any problems with them and I shoot them often.
    OldChap likes this.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    The only KelTec I have ever owned is a P32. Due to the funky sights, it's mostly a point shooting weapon. But it has never jammed, not once, after hundreds of rounds. KelTec is a niche market - they make cheap firearms, and some work great, some don't. I would research carefully before I chose a particular KelTec model for defense. But the little .22 looks like fun, plastic magazines and all. I must say, that the weapon light looks really silly on a gun like that.
    OldChap likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macantic View Post
    I'm sorry you feel that way,I have two P3AT's I've had for several years now and after a fluff and buff I haven't had any problems with them and I shoot them often.
    Why feel sorry?

New guns shouldn't require a final manufacturing process like a fluff and buff to make their guns work. I'm glad not everyone's Kel Tec experience were as bad as mine. But they are low budget guns with low end results.
    msgt/ret, Rooster and Chuck808 like this.

Kel-Tecs don't need anything more than any other gun to make, or keep them fully functional. I had a 1911 that I ran in competition. The base gun was expensive, but that was a pittance compared to how much was required to make it competitive. Now one could argue that 1911's shouldn't need a final manufacturing process to make the gun work for that purpose, but I think we all know better. My two PF-9s run well enough that I have no issues using them at times as either back-up carry, or primary when nothing else will do.

I don't really need any more 22 pistols (or rifles for that matter).
    ETXhiker and M1911A1 like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Senior Moderator
    I didn't have a good experience with the P3AT I got in December of 2005. My brother-in-law had talked them up as the unique small .380 on the market at the time. This was prior to the advent of the Ruger LCP. I saw a purpose and the pistol was neato in concept, but execution seemed cheap-o and flimsy. Equating "fluff and buff" as promoted on a Kel Tec forum site with having to patch a set of four brand new tires before they will properly hold air, I resorted to shooting the thing until it broke in and it did finally smoothed out enough to function dependably.

That took 600 rounds and became its own sub-hobby during the year of 2006! Only when I shot some overly hot .380 ammunition through it did it decide to "straighten up and fly right."

Did fine for perhaps 1000 rounds and then got up to its old tricks again more recently. When the P3AT began choking and harking a second time I threatened it with it's life by tellin' it I was going to throw it into the lake out at our old family place on the lake. I also gave it a good cleaning and oiling as it had been doing duty as the "yard gun" when I mow and tend the lawn. It straightened right up. It's returned to yard gun duty.

That P17 in .22 does look sort of "snap-together" and I generally don't do plastic snap-together pistolas. But, it's in .22 Long Rifle and could be intriguing if its trigger proved livable. For a companion side arm in the yard, or for goofing around an afternoon out at the lake cabin I could see a fun use for it. No thank you on hangin' junk off of it or taking it seriously for defensive duties.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; November 8th, 2019 at 03:10 PM.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Did you see that price???. In a few months, they will be selling at $125-150 and thats with THREE! 16 round magazines!!!.. No brainer.. I can't own those mags here in NY, but that looks like a lot of .22 for really short money... bob
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Only KelTec I have ever owned was a gen 1 Sub 2000 ran like a champ.
    ETXhiker and bmcgilvray like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

I've owned two KelTecs; a P3AT and a PF9.

Did a basic fluff n' buff on both and both have run flawlessly.

Cheaply made and kinda ugly? Sure. They're no fine example of the gunsmith's art. But they do what they're designed for.
    OldChap, ETXhiker and bmcgilvray like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Nod
    I bought a KelTec P-11 when they first came out. In fact, mine has a 3 digit serial number. I've had it for over 20 years and cannot tell you how many rounds I've shot , I've never had a stove pipe, failure to eject, failure to feed or any other problem of any kind. I'll grant you that they aren't the best made pistol but mine has been 100% reliable. I used it as my carry gun until I bought my Canik C-100 . Another (CHEAP) but very well made pistol.
    OldChap, ETXhiker and bmcgilvray like this.

This is my first 9mm. I couldn’t shoot 2 consecutive rounds without it jamming. Sent it in to Keltec and it’s been flawless. I have since moved on to other pistols and this just sits in the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ETXhiker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    Did you see that price???. In a few months, they will be selling at $125-150 and thats with THREE! 16 round magazines!!!.. No brainer.. I can't own those mags here in NY, but that looks like a lot of .22 for really short money... bob
    Strike that.. Watched the YT video and the reviewer could barely get 1 round in 10 down the chute!.. What a disaster THAT was.. I'm officially spooked for good, great price not withstanding... bob

I have owed two Kel Tec's in my life. The first was the P3AT. Sold it to fund the Ruger LCP. The second is a Gen 1 Sub 2000. Bought it used at a gun show. It would seem the previous owner had been running either steel or aluminum cased ammo through the gun and it just didn't work right. Sent the gun back to Kel Tec and they rebuilt it giving me a almost brand new gun. It has ran perfect ever since.. My P3AT worked just fine and I never had any problems with it. I have never had a problem with inexpensive weapons, . They allow some in a lower income bracket the ability to defend themselves.
    Nod, Texas Red and ETXhiker like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links