Armscor 22 lr ammo

Armscor 22 lr ammo

This is a discussion on Armscor 22 lr ammo within the .22 Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to the range today taking mostly 22's. My ammo for the day was Federal Auto Match in the 325 round box and Armscor ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenny53
  • 3 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 1 Post By Kenny53
  • 1 Post By Talldog

Thread: Armscor 22 lr ammo

Armscor 22 lr ammo

I went to the range today taking mostly 22's. My ammo for the day was Federal Auto Match in the 325 round box and Armscor 36 grain hollow point. In of my 10/22 Federal ammo had 10+ failure to fire out of 110 rounds. Most the rounds fired when loaded in my Ruger MKII. Loaded 50 rounds of the Armscor in 10/22 and had 1 failure to fire. Loaded another 50 rounds in my MKII with out a problem. I found the Artmscor to be hotter and I am not sure if it is more accurate. But it did hit the paper in the general area I was pointing but so did the federal. I guess I am trying to say I like the Armscor 22 ammo and glad I picked up 4 bricks on a whim. I think it is going to be great for plinking when I head out to the desert.
    ShooterGranny likes this.

Senior Moderator
    With 5 10/22s here I'm moderately familiar with functional problems that arise.

First, Federal and CCI make some of the best .22 ammo in terms of reliability. My experience with multiple other brands has most anything by Remington at the low end of the spectrum and Winchester somewhere in the middle. FWIW I've been using mostly Federal AutoMatch in both a Ruger MkII 22/45 and a tweaked 10/22 for steel matches where reliability is vital.

When I suffer a failure to fire, I try to recover the unfired round to examine it for how good the primer strike was. That can be key to diagnosing the problem.

The 10/22 and Mk 'X' pistol bolts have similar firing pin designs. In both, an accumulation of crud in the firing pin channel can increase friction to the point that the FP velocity is reduced. In the pic below, you'll see one of my 10/22 bolts that's loaded up with crud and there's even a sliver of lead on the bolt face. The bolt would go into battery, but was probably 5 thousandths shy of fully seating the cartridge in the chamber. Without a firm "anvil" surface providing resistance to the firing pin, frequent failures to fire resulted.

Before you write off Federal ammo, I would also give your chamber a good scrubbing with a bore brush and solvent. The standard "sport" chamber of the 10/22 (vs. a tighter match chamber) is longer than a standard .22 LR case and allows carbon to build up between the case mouth and the end of the chamber. This can prevent the cartridge rim from seating fully. Once your chamber is spanking clean, feed a round into the chamber with your fingers to see if it goes in easily. If it does, try another couple dozen rounds to see if the Fed ammo still has problems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Armscor 22 lr ammo-light-primer-strikes.jpg  

ETXhiker, Kenny53 and BamaT like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    I don't have a rifle, but have .22 handguns. My Mark IV Lite will ONLY shoot CCI mini mags, but my other two guns do well with the Armscor HP .22lr rounds. Bought a whole case of it for a better price than the Aguila Super Extra I had been using and am about out of. Yes, I did try one 50 round box from a local store before I bought the case. The Armscor does feel "greasy" so I'm watching the inside of the guns and also the magazines closely for buildup of any kind.

Note that I have some S&B .22lr also but it is REALLY greasy feeling and it is relegated to Gramps' .22 rifle in which it seems to work just fine.
    Kenny53 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I have too many rounds of Federal to write it off. It worked fine in the MKII. I will give the Ruger a good scrubbing. I notice some of the primer strikes were light. Where ever I have loading, firing, or extracting problems I always look for a dirty gun as the culprit. I find that is the problem most of the time.
    gasmitty likes this.

I have a crapload of the Federal AutoMatch 325 round boxes. Works great in my wife's LCR and my NAA Black Widow. Doesn't work worth a damn in my Ruger SR22. I don't use the Armscor in .22lr, but I've had a lot in .22WMR. No malfunctions, but the cases stick in the cylinders a lot.
    Kenny53 likes this.

Sponsored Links