Smallest lightest semi auto .22 Rifle available ?? - Page 2

Smallest lightest semi auto .22 Rifle available ??

This is a discussion on Smallest lightest semi auto .22 Rifle available ?? within the .22 Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldChap Not exactly a range favorite, but this is the smallest, lightest 22 rifle I know of. Attachment 306442 Ahhh... @ ETXhiker ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Smallest lightest semi auto .22 Rifle available ??

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Not exactly a range favorite, but this is the smallest, lightest 22 rifle I know of.

Attachment 306442

Ahhh... @ETXhiker You beat me to it, you rascal.

A real shame that it would have even been LIGHTER if it had a machined Aluminum receiver.
    But, on the plus side - at least all of the function related issues have been solved.
    OldChap and bmcgilvray like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Ok we checked out-

1-Mossberg 702 plinkster
    2- Henry AR 7
    3-Chiappa M1 - 22 LR
    4- 10/22 Youth [ my favorite, she despised it]
    We came home with nothing.. She was ok with the little Henry Survival, but didn't want to spend $250 on something she "would hardly use".
    She NEVER has trouble spending money on guns she likes, and we are blessed enough that money is no issue with us in our retirement, so lets just say she was ok with it, but not turned on by it.

The 702 she could handle ok as well, but looked SO awkward handling a long gun.. She is not a "rifle person" is the way she puts it..

I asked her if she thought she would like the Mossberg better if it was shorter [Plinker Bantam is 2 inches shorter, same weight, and $THIRTY$ dollars more expensive!!.
    No one anywhere stocks the bantam model and Palmetto State Armory is out of stock..
    btw, the little Mossberg 702 Plinkers have almost doubled in price the past few years.. 5 years ago they were around $100 everywhere and some guys got them on sale at $70...
    Now they were at least $169, with some places charging $189..
    Did find one in Pink at $90 shipped brand new, but its not the Bantam model and I want her to use the gun, and I have the feeling that 2 inches reduction in total length will make her feel more comfortable and more willing to practice with the gun.
    If anyone knows a shop that actually has the Plinkster Bantam in stock, please let me know, I will just buy it for her and hand it over.

Pink must be a tough sell because there were a lot of them under $100 new on the net, none at all in black at that price.. If it were the shorter model, I would have ordered one, but I want to make sure she's as comfortable as possible with a long gun, and from what I have seen, I think the Bantam is something she will practice with at the range.. Still an extra $30?.. For a simple 2 inch reduction??/... bob
    ETXhiker likes this.

BeeBee I would say go buy a bolt action so you can get a better trigger group than will be found in affordable semi autos . You will find find a better balanced firearm with ether a straight or rotary mag bolt rifles when she trys the yough models and skinny barrel adult models . The weight should not be much of a problem in the 5 to 6lb range ether so maybe a savage b-22 f compact or there MK11 GY . The GY model has worked very well for two 9 years old grand kids . One now 15 and 6 foot tall still enjoys it and hunts with it and its very capable of dime sized groups if scoped at 50 yards with ammo it likes . Marlin has a XY22-YR that's short , 4.5lbs with a good trigger too and basically just as accurate as a savage and both are under 300 bucks . The savage GY at least is a gun you can pass to children and grankids or great grang kids one day .

This is what I should tell you . But since the choice is not yours - Take a drive to a few well stocked gun shops and let your wife handle some but maybe you live where none are !! .

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I hadnít looked at these small .22s. The 795 looks most appealing to me, after reading reviews.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    BeeBee I would say go buy a bolt action so you can get a better trigger group than will be found in affordable semi autos . You will find find a better balanced firearm with ether a straight or rotary mag bolt rifles when she trys the yough models and skinny barrel adult models . The weight should not be much of a problem in the 5 to 6lb range ether so maybe a savage b-22 f compact or there MK11 GY . The GY model has worked very well for two 9 years old grand kids . One now 15 and 6 foot tall still enjoys it and hunts with it and its very capable of dime sized groups if scoped at 50 yards with ammo it likes . Marlin has a XY22-YR that's short , 4.5lbs with a good trigger too and basically just as accurate as a savage and both are under 300 bucks . The savage GY at least is a gun you can pass to children and grankids or great grang kids one day .

This is what I should tell you . But since the choice is not yours - Take a drive to a few well stocked gun shops and let your wife handle some but maybe you live where none are !! .

I agree with everything you wrote, but she's a tough sell.. I would buy her Henry Youth lever, or any small kid size bolt action she wants. Price no object. IF she gets a .22 long gun, she only wants a semi auto.. The choices for kid size semis are limited, but there are some good ones such as the youth size ruger 10/22.. She picked it up and instantly hated it. The Chippa M1 style .22 semi auto was a bit heavy, but was well balanced.. She was "meh".. Not good, not bad.. She spent most of the time with the Mossberg 702 Plinker, really liked the sights[They were VERY good], and then with the Henry survival, which i wasn't crazy about.. She was ok with the Henry, but didn't want to spend the money, even though we can well afford it.. She said "If it was $100 I would have bought it".. Drives me crazy.
    She saw the online prices and reviews from a few years back of the Mossberg 702 being sold regularly for $100-110 and on sale for $75, and got that in her head, not thinking that prices go up sometimes on guns over time... Today i found a local dealer that could get the mossberg 702 Plinker Bantam for $170. Its 35 inches total length, where as the standard 702 is 37 inches, so it will fit her a little better.
    Thats probably the way we'll go eventually.. If it were $125 it would be here, loaded and tested already, but she has the $75-100 price in her head, and wants one for that, even though spending $700 on a Desert Tan P 238 a few years ago was NO problem for her because thats what she wanted. The big box stores show the Bantam at around $159, but its not worth the 80 mile round trip to save $11..

The main problem is that I want her to get a .22 long gun and get used to shooting a rifle.. She is somewhat less interested than I am in her choice of .22 rifles.. If she were hot to get one, it would have been here a long time ago, with price being no object...
    So she's kind of luke warm to the whole idea now it seems, but thats better than ice cold i guess... bob

Distinguished Member Array CAS_Shooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SAXDM9 View Post
    I hadnít looked at these small .22s. The 795 looks most appealing to me, after reading reviews.
    Wife and I both really like the 795. The breakdown "Papoose" version is nice. Ours has been more reliable than my previous 10/22's were. But I know most have very good luck with the 10/22. We also have a Browning BL-22 lever and a CZ 457. I haven't met a 22 rifle I didn't like.
    5lima30ret and SAXDM9 like this.

beeBee Its not your choice so don't push it !! Let your wife pick what she's comfortable with at her own pace . Really does not matter what you think she should buy . But you might be surprised one day . If you have friends that shoot how about there wifes !! Find other ladys she can shoot with or a ladys shooting group that she might be interested in trying and one day you may come home and find a new handgun or long gun that's hers and she picked it out . But do not push her .
    Rotorflyr likes this.

22 Crickett is a 1/2 pound lighter than an AR-7, just sayin'
    https://www.keystonesportingarmsllc....ickett-rifles/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    Thats probably the way we'll go eventually.. If it were $125 it would be here, loaded and tested already, but she has the $75-100 price in her head, and wants one for that, even though spending $700 on a Desert Tan P 238 a few years ago was NO problem for her because that's what she wanted. The big box stores show the Bantam at around $159, but its not worth the 80 mile round trip to save $11..

he is somewhat less interested than I am in her choice of .22 rifles.. If she were hot to get one, it would have been here a long time ago, with price being no object...
    So she's kind of lukewarm to the whole idea now it seems, but that's better than ice cold i guess... bob
    Key words bolded above! I believe that is not just a "girl thing" but a "guy thing" also. Gramps even encouraged me to spend more on a Gunbroker auction gun than my personal limit, as he stood by my side and repeated: "You really DO want that gun don't you, so go for it??" Well, yeah, I really did. And if he really wants a gun the price is not so important either - although he will do some comparison shopping to a point (the point being "OK, fine, but I WANT IT NOW!").
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I am just going to buy her the Mossberg 702 Bantam .. Its the smallest semi auto .22 LR out there, she has already shown she can handle the 37 inch model 702, and the bantam is 2 inches shorter, so it should not be an issue shooting it.. We looked at those little Keystone Crickets but they are single shot bolts and she said they were TOO small.. As I said, she was a buyer at $100-110. Best deal I could find on the Bantam was $170, which kills me because its the same gun as the standard 702 with a 2 inch shorter butt, and its $30 more expensive!.. I am going to order it, tell her its on the way. and if she gets mad, I'll open my wallet and give her the extra $60 over what she was willing to spend initially . Worse comes to worse, and she doesn't shoot it, I'll give it to my grandson who will be 7 in Feb, and start him off 1 round at a time in the mag, with me guiding him until he;s very familiar with the operation of the safety, size, weight etc. Then as he grows more proficient with time and can be trusted, he gets another round, then another etc.. So if she doesn't want it, it just goes to my grandson... bob
    airslot likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    yep thats it.. Classic look that I like.. Not a "tactical /scary gun" kind of couple, my wife and I.
    It would look a LOT better with wood, but that would add weight and defeat the purpose of the gun I suppose..

We were both very impressed with the sights which were bright red/green florescent and quite large. Even at $170, looks like a decent deal.. I have done a bunch of research, and these cheap Mossberg .22's are quite highly regarded by owners, and by most online reviews I have seen both written and video...
    Mossberg has been manufacturing firearms for 100 years this year, and making .22 rifles for 96 of those 100 years.. I am sure they have it down pretty well by now.. Mossberg long guns aren't a "prestige" brand, but are a well regarded "workingmans" utilitarian gun, that typically hold up pretty well.. I am comfortable buying another gun from them.. Currently have a 500C 20ga. pump shotgun that I like just fine... bob
    bmcgilvray and airslot like this.

Lead Moderator
    Heres one that I got to play with and it's really light and accurate.

Its got a brace on it and it holds 33 rounds. The trigger is excellent, not the normal 2 mile pull, 12 -pound Keltec trigger. This one broke at 3 lbs.

Slide that brace up, remove the silencer and you've got a rifle that is light, accurate and holds 33 rounds. It is quiet if you suppress it. I like the idea so well that I plan on getting one. You can stick it in a backpack and never know its there.

As far as I know, there is nothing lighter than this. And...with that brace it acts like a rifle but classes as a pistol.

Attachment 306824
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smallest lightest semi auto .22 Rifle available ??-77235059_3379056088801512_4447231188087603200_o.jpg  

airslot likes this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

yeah pretty cool,but if I got caught with that here in NY, they'd throw me in the can and weld the bars shut!
    airslot likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links