Smallest lightest semi auto .22 Rifle available ??

This is a discussion on Smallest lightest semi auto .22 Rifle available ?? within the .22 Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife has been thinking about a .22 semi so she can shoot something other than her handguns.. problem is she's go no strength in ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Smallest lightest semi auto .22 Rifle available ??

My wife has been thinking about a .22 semi so she can shoot something other than her handguns.. problem is she's go no strength in her hands, and less in her arms.. She needs the tiniest lightest . 22 long gun available.. I think she would be ok with a Keystone cricket .22 but she doesn't want a single shot.

I was thinking a Henry Youth Lever .22 but she might even have trouble operating the lever, unless its very easy, smooth and slick.. She picked up a very small Marlin semi auto, but it was nose heavy.. The entire gun was light but really out of balance, all the weight was in the barrel.. just getting ideas for a small very light decent quality .22 semi in kids size.. Not even sure anyone makes a kid size .22 semi auto.. most of the youth .22 long guns are single shot, bolts or levers.. any advice would be helpful.. btw, guns such as a 10/22 are way too big for her, we've tried.... bob

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    How about one of these?

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/

It's 3.5 pounds.
    TSKnight and Rock and Glock like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Not exactly a range favorite, but this is the smallest, lightest 22 rifle I know of.

Smallest lightest semi auto .22 Rifle available ??-36597_2.jpg

Ahhh... @ETXhiker You beat me to it, you rascal.
    Last edited by OldChap; November 12th, 2019 at 05:12 PM.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I got beat to the punch.

Twice.

If it was just weight, I’d also say to look at a Nylon 66...but they aren’t small.
    ETXhiker and OldChap like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

yeah, pistol grip.. Illegal in NY,, Ridiculous I know... Has to look ""non scary""... bob

The Henry Survival Rifle is good what it was intended for, not so good for training a new shooter. (The sights on the survival rifle are less than ideal for new shooters.) OTOH, their lever rifles are about as close to perfect for training a new shooter and a lot of fun for more experienced ones as well!
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Distinguished Member Array CAS_Shooter's Avatar
    Marlin 795 weighs 4.5 lbs and pretty well balanced.
    5lima30ret, AnthonyC and TSKnight like this.

VIP Member
    Buy this at 5#. Add one of these, which is bound to shave 1/2 #, you've got THE BEST .22 RIFLE EVER MADE! I've got one, but it's in my "outdoor bunker", so I can't weight it right now.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Carbi...eets/1103.html

https://sapoutfitters.com/product/ru...nthetic-stock/
    ETXhiker likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Buy this at 5#. Add one of these, which is bound to shave 1/2 #, you've got THE BEST .22 RIFLE EVER MADE! I've got one, but it's in my "outdoor bunker", so I can't weight it right now.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Carbi...eets/1103.html

https://sapoutfitters.com/product/ru...nthetic-stock/
    Make it even lighter with a carbon fiber barrel...
    Pete63 likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    yeah, pistol grip.. Illegal in NY,, Ridiculous I know... Has to look ""non scary""... bob
    Incredible...made in New Germany and illegal in NY because it has a "pistol grip". You guys really need to trade your politicians in on honest ones!
    airslot likes this.

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

I was wrong about the AR 7.. It is NY compliant.. We are going to Bass Pro as they have it and the Youth Lever in stock.. My wife is not a new shooter . she is a better shot with many handguns than I am.. [Thats not saying much,,lol].. I have a 10/22 and to me its a feather, to her its way too big and heavy,, She shoots the .22 handguns very well, so I imagine once she gets used to the AR 7 if thats the way the way she goes, it should be at least as accurate as a pistol in her hands..
    I will see what else they have thats small and light for her, and just buy her what she feels most comfortable with.. btw, that little Henry AR 7 is a nice deal at $250, and the Youth Lever is $329.. Not bad for really good quality guns.. I imagine the little Marlin is a lot cheaper, so we'll look at that as well... bob

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    Incredible...made in New Germany and illegal in NY because it has a "pistol grip". You guys really need to trade your politicians in on honest ones!
    My mistake, its legal.. I guess the grip is continuous with the stock, and not at a severe angle, so the NY politicians will "let " us have it...
    Had to call a Henry Gold dealer to make sure. He has sold them up here.. bob
    bmcgilvray and OldChap like this.

Thanks to all for your help,, spot on as always... bob
    ETXhiker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    My mistake, its legal.. I guess the grip is continuous with the stock, and not at a severe angle, so the NY politicians will "let " us have it...
    Had to call a Henry Gold dealer to make sure. He has sold them up here.. bob
    Excellent. The little Henry AR-7 would not only meet your requirements, but is a great food provider in an emergency.

The AR7 are amazing rifles ..FYI they make a survial kit model that has a bunch of bug out supplies with it

Fun fact they are at least 3+ markers of AR7 ..The org AR7 was made by armalite ( yes that armalite ) then charter arms then Henery .There was also a weird Isreal made model that had a FAL pistol grip a wire stock and a short barrel a few of them were welded to 16inch and import

If you get one

1. Use factory mags they are weak point of the gun as the feed ramp is built into the mags so afteramrket are crap and be carefully with the mags
    2. It is very compact when you take it down the whole thing fits into the stock barrel and all and a mag or two . And yes it is very easy to put together you can do it in a few second in the dark if you are good
    3. Yes they will float if dropped in water

Get one I think they are dandy survial guns ..Plus the best part to me for a NY is there is no mags over 10 rounds to lust after and not being able to own ( tec there is 15,25 rounder by they are very iffy on working and mostly only work with order model non henry it was made for 10 and under mags )
    bmcgilvray and Old Man like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links