Ruger Wrangler .22 SA revolver.. anyone??..

This is a discussion on Ruger Wrangler .22 SA revolver.. anyone??.. within the .22 Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; I only just found out about this gun today.. I don't get out much. At $199, for a RUGER revolver?/.. Absolute no brainer, I am ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Ruger Wrangler .22 SA revolver.. anyone??..

I only just found out about this gun today.. I don't get out much.

At $199, for a RUGER revolver?/.. Absolute no brainer, I am RUNNING out to get one.. My only SA revolver is a tiny NAA, and although its cute as a button, and beautifully built, if you kept it in your sock and it went off it would miss your foot by a mile.

Everyone needs a real .22 SA revolver right?.. I considered a Single Six a few times, but no way can I justify $600 for a plinker that will only see range use.
    Enter the Wrangler, which looks like a nice well priced revolver quality built by Ruger.. I have a bunch of Rugers and they are now and have always been dependable, and known by most other owners to be dependable.. Looks to me like they want in on the market that Heritage Arms has exploited pretty much alone for years now.
    Nothing against Heritage of course, but at $200 or less, I have to go with ruger.. Any problems that may show up will be quickly dealt with, and I can depend on that.
    I will be getting the broze color one, and putting some kind of fancy wood grips on it shortly after getting it.. Meantime, any owners here that can fill me in, tell me what to expect, maybe tell me how much I will love it etc??... bob
    bmcgilvray, SAXDM9, DZUS and 2 others like this.

wow, I was about to buy at a big box store 40 miles from here,at $199.. Made a call to a local store, and he has 3 of them and if I pay cash sells them for $180!..
    Only problem is, they only have black, NOT the bronze color I liked.. However, buying local saves me 2 80 mile round trips.. One to go buy the gun, and then a second trip to pick it up after going to the county sheriff with the serial #, receipt all legal documents, and on site change of state handgun registration card.. This IS NY mind you... So looks like I'll be getting the gun in black, but it saves me a lot of gas, a lot of travel, $20 purchase, and hours and hours of time... bob
    bmcgilvray, DZUS and MMinSC like this.

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    Never shot one, or even saw one in person. But I am betting that if it is a Ruger, it's good to go even at that low price.
    DZUS likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ETXhiker View Post
    Never shot one, or even saw one in person. But I am betting that if it is a Ruger, it's good to go even at that low price.
    From what I read about it, it uses a lot of the same internals as the Super Six.. It uses a cast grip frame instead of steel, and the CeraKote finish can be applied a lot cheaper than bluing I suppose.. Also this was designed as .22LR, ONLY, and there will be no .22 WMR conversion cylinders made for it.

Its in the same price range as a Heritage.. As stated in the OP, at the same price, I will choose the Ruger over the Heritage each and every time... bob

Had to Google it, it looks like the Ruger Bearcat only Cerakote instead of blue. Not a fan of Cerakote but it is a matt finish which is more pleasing than the usual glossy finish. I will say though the Cerakote is a better finish for a tackle box gun and at a MSRP a scratch or two is not as painful.

https://ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.html
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

I loved my single-six convertible in the early 70s one more I wish hadnt gotten away. Theyre great-looking and shoot wonderfully. This Wrangler looks nice. The black is my fave, I think.
    DZUS, Instymp and BamaT like this.

Member IDPA & GSSF
    Preserve Our Rights

Senior Member Array entertainment72's Avatar
    I want a black Wrangler.

Senior Moderator
    I handled one at a neat little gun store in Tucson that had one out on the counter to handle. Same fundamental design as the Single Six, just built to an affordable price that gets new or young shooters into a Ruger. The one I handled had a shorter barrel than mine and it felt a little lighter, but the grip was just the same. Trigger a little harder than mine, but I got mine used so who knows how many trigger pulls it had to smooth things out before I got it.

I was tempted to buy one or more for grandkids (all 3 still in diapers) just to have on hand for when they are of age. I'm of the mind that a single-action .22 revolver is an ideal beginner's gun from the standpoint of safety and simplicity. I might still act on that plan while the prices are low!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Had to Google it, it looks like the Ruger Bearcat only Cerakote instead of blue. Not a fan of Cerakote but it is a matt finish which is more pleasing than the usual glossy finish. I will say though the Cerakote is a better finish for a tackle box gun and at a MSRP a scratch or two is not as painful.

https://ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.html
    My brother got one in "black" like @beebee wants. IT IS NICE! Can't wait to go shot it with him. They are larger than a "Bearcat" (smaller than a SS). As you may recall (picture to jog your memory ), I own a Single Convertible & a Bearcat. It's (Wrangler) kind of "in between". I really, really, really want one myself, BUT will be waiting till next year, as I REALLY blew my firearms budget this year (WON'T TALK ABOUT THAT NOW!) Can't wait till next year! note: SSC is on top, Bearcat next

Ruger Wrangler .22  SA revolver.. anyone??..-100_0081.jpg
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

I already have a couple of plinkers, a Smith 63 and a Ruger Mk III 22/45; otherwise I would seriously consider the Ruger Wrangler. It strikes me as an ideal plinker at a great price, and not have to be overly concerned about caring for the finish. Id still like to have one, but there are some other guns Id like to have first.
    airslot likes this.
    NRA Life Member

I'd definitely get one if they were legal in my state, but they're too easy to melt.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    I'd definitely get one if they were legal in my state, but they're too easy to melt.
    I checked the law and it's apparently not melting point but material density or tensile strength that trips the Wrangler. Utterly stupid law. Looks like the brain trust wanted to eliminate pot metal "Saturday night specials" but set the bar so low that modern materials are excluded.
    OD*, MMinSC, airslot and 3 others like this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I checked the law and it's apparently not melting point but material density or tensile strength that trips the Wrangler. Utterly stupid law. Looks like the brain trust wanted to eliminate pot metal "Saturday night specials" but set the bar so low that modern materials are excluded.
    Ah, I think you're right. I assumed it was the zinc, but I guess that's just in the grip and so the law doesn't apply there.

I believe that law goes back to the '70's, so I suppose the assumption was use of steel and some aluminum alloys and that's it.
    "Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes shoot dangerous people. Either way helps."
    - Dr. Mordin Solus

I don't understand.. These guns are illegal in some states, due to the metal they are made of???

The zinc alloy is used in the grip frame not the cylinder frame... Not likely that will get much heat...

Funny though that its available in NY.. If its illegal elsewhere, I would NY have jumped right in there as well to declare it illegal .. One less gun they have to worry about.... bob
    MMinSC likes this.

Senior Moderator
    We'll stick this over here so it can get some mileage in the .22 sub-forum.

Had to check in with Ruger to visualize the bronze version of the Wrangler. https://ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.html

For the money the Wrangler looks like a great opportunity for a lot of shooting fun and beneficial practice too.
    msgt/ret, 5lima30ret and gasmitty like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links