Ruger Precision Rimfire -Review - Page 2

Ruger Precision Rimfire -Review

This is a discussion on Ruger Precision Rimfire -Review within the .22 Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by bmcgilvray Well hmmmm ... Gary. I'm on a mission to run through the .22 rifles kept on hand, shooting from off the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Ruger Precision Rimfire -Review

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Well hmmmm ... Gary.

I'm on a mission to run through the .22 rifles kept on hand, shooting from off the bench rest and have noticed that accuracy results have been unexpectedly uneven. Thought was to make only a limited effort at each of three distances and just accepting the initial result. Thing is, I'm starting from squeaky clean barrels.

Perhaps I need to dirty them up more before making an accuracy effort. I hadn't figured on it making all that much difference as long as I was using one type of ammunition in all the rifles.
    Bryan, if you're checking for accuracy and starting with a clean bore, I would definitely run at least a half-dozen shots down the bore before making any group size measurement. Ammo these days is so good I hesitate to call these "fouling" shots, but rather "conditioning" shots.

The odd thing at my Appleseed event was that with the change of ammo, the POI shifted maybe 1/2-3/4" from where I had zeroed the day before. And we were shooting at maybe 35 yards. With the emphasis on marksmanship, all shooters did a morning and a post-lunch zero check so it's unlikely my scope would have shifted that much overnight, and the gun wasn't dropped or bumped. My reference above to "chasing" a zero was the frustrating process of adjusting a click or two to bring the POI back to center, then it would drift over the next few shots. Since I kept track of my adjustments, what I noted was that once the gun settled out, I was only a click or so off from my original zero in windage and elevation.

So it might be overkill, but at the whopping investment of another four bits, I'd say throw some shots downrange before shooting for record. You might save a fine rifle from being unfairly judged inaccurate!
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

No madder the brand and even with-in the same box .22 will not produce the same results. Measuring and weight each round will help. The Ruger RP rimfire has been updated. Installed a Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP MOA 6-24X50 on it. Now I just need a break in the weather.
    General statement. Best groups are with a some what clean, warm barrel,40 gr round nose copper coated and around 1250 Fps. lately best rounds have been Aguila 40 gr round 1255fps. Sunday I shot some ELY yellow box at 100 yards that produced some great groups at 100 yards for the most part , 3 shots two touching the 3rd with in 1/4 inch. Sad to say Quality control and .22 ammo don't fit in the same sentence. I have completely dropped Federal match and CCI coated target.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ruger Precision Rimfire -Review-20200123_125937-1-.jpg  

Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links