Ruger Precision Rimfire -Review

This is a discussion on Ruger Precision Rimfire -Review within the .22 Forum forums, part of the Related Topics category; If any of you are thinking of asking Santa for a new .22 rifle for Christmas, you might be interested in my latest review video! ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Ruger Precision Rimfire -Review

If any of you are thinking of asking Santa for a new .22 rifle for Christmas, you might be interested in my latest review video!

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by hrfunk View Post
    If any of you are thinking of asking Santa for a new .22 rifle for Christmas, you might be interested in my latest review video!

Howard

I have one had it a while now it will shoot. Federal ammo has always disappointed me in every .22. Aguila Super Extra 40 gr solid point shot very well in it. Remington is a waste of time IMO.
    The weapon fires best when warmed up. Accuracy goes up after a few rounds when it has been cleaned. The farthest I have shot it was 200 yards. I want to get it out to 300. At 200 yards the drop was about 36 inches but the Federal match was all or the place.
    He is right about staying with the 10 round mag. With the 15 round one it gets in the way and can cause cambering issues. CCI standards works ok but not the best. CCI coated target all over the place. Th RP rimfire is designed for practice for the other RPR.
    Last edited by Smitty901; December 7th, 2019 at 08:51 PM.
    Two Bears likes this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Senior Moderator
    Howard, your videos are good entertainment. That rifle would be good entertainment.

It appears to be pretty substantially built with good adult ergonomics.
    5lima30ret and airslot like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Howard, your videos are good entertainment. That rifle would be good entertainment.

It appears to be pretty substantially built with good adult ergonomics.
    That it is. It really has the feel of a full-size rifle.

Howard

Main reason I purchased a the RP rimfire was because it was so close to the RPR. My goal is to have one of every RPR. Well on the way of getting there and using the RP rim fire is good practice for them
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Yes Taurus really does suck. But in fairness they sure turned it around fast on warranty repair. Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Main reason I purchased a the RP rimfire was because it was so close to the RPR. My goal is to have one of every RPR. Well on the way of getting there and using the RP rim fire is good practice for them
    I think that's a sound plan. keep everything the same and you can just focus on your shooting.

Howard

I have never hit anything with a .22 rim fire smaller than a barn at 300 yards. I do expect to work the RP rim fire up to 3 /12 to 6 inches at 300 yards. I have seen it done.
    One of RP Rim fires big bothers. But 18 pounds with scope mag and bi-pod. So far I have acquired the 308,6.5 CR 338 lapua and the RP rim fire. The next on the list is the 300 winmag. Was not to excited about the 6.5 CR, until taking it out back. I am sold on it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hXVmwj]
    bmcgilvray likes this.

When I recently attended a long range rifle course, one of the other shooters there was using an RPR chambered for the 6.5 CM. I was quite impressed with its performance. Good luck with yours!

Howard

I have it in 17 HMR. Bought it for the grandkids, but I seem to shoot it quite often.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by hrfunk View Post
    When I recently attended a long range rifle course, one of the other shooters there was using an RPR chambered for the 6.5 CM. I was quite impressed with its performance. Good luck with yours!

Howard
    The one on the tables is a 338 Lapua. The 6.5 is a great weapon I have yet to test its limits and mine. I fell head first for the RPR line

Great information and review!

If I was still working and making the money I once did I would get one in .22LR (fun, practice, bunny sniping), 6.5 Creedmoor (coyotes and pronghorn), and one in .300 Winchester Magnum (everything else). I sure wish they had these rifles during my prime while I was in Wyoming and the scopes like Vortex and Nightforce! I would gladly have paid the price for such quality to take into the mountains of Western Wyoming! Too old and too broke down now not to mention no one to drag this old man out where I loved to be as they are all either too broke or don't care a hoot about hunting. I wounder if there will be elk in heaven as I sure love to hear them sing?

VIP Member
    They’ll be there. The only thing to be heard on a quiet morning in the high country. Clear, crisp, eerily close....or not. And while you’re in heaven and hearing them, you’ll have only a mule deer license in your pocket. At least that’s how they are while I’m alive.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Senior Moderator
    Howard, I belatedly watched your video tonight and I'd like to share some of my observations from doing a LOT of ammo/accuracy testing with .22 rifles, mostly Ruger 10/22s. Some were stock, some lightly tweaked, a couple with aftermarket barrels and more.

At an Appleseed event, I was unaware of .22 barrels' sensitivity to different ammo types. After Day 1, I had to change ammo and spent the first hour of Day 2 chasing a zero shift which resulted from a change in ammo. I don't recall the sequence, but one load was a copper-washed Winchester and the other was Blazer with a lead bullet with some sort of coating. Eventually the new ammo settled down not far from where the initial zero/POI was, but it took several strings before that happened. That was a clue.

A couple of years later, I was testing a 10/22 with an aftermarket, Bentz-chambered barrel. I showed up at the range with a dozen different flavors of .22 LR ammo and started my 50-yard accuracy testing, using a sand bag front support. My test protocol was 5 5-shot groups with each ammo type. I spend a whole day carefully shooting group after group, then photographing targets at home and using OnTarget to measure results. What I found supported a "real-time" observation made while shooting: the first few groups of a new ammo type were unimpressive, but then got smaller. With further research, especially among the smart folks over at rimfirecentral.com. I found that "conditioning" a barrel after changing ammo types is essentially mandatory before shooting "for record." It seems that the various .22 bullet coatings are the major variable; the standard-velocity target ammo has light, oily lube over lead bullets, some rely on the copper wash (can't call it plating), some - like the CCI AR - use a wax-type lube.

I ended up changing my accuracy testing protocol to allow for barrel conditioning with each change of ammo. I now shoot 2 10-shot strings at 2 different targets, which gives a gross view of whether the ammo is settling in, then I shoot 5 5-shot targets. Voila - big difference in results! Groups mostly tightened up compared to my previous results. In fact, it appears that 10 shots of the new ammo down the barrel is sufficient, but I use 20 to be sure. The test results are better, but the downside is that testing takes longer. Shooting at a public range and dealing with cease-fires for target changes, it makes for a long day and fatigue sets in, so I may not have the highest confidence in the late-day groups.

What I found interesting is that your results with CCI AR Tactical mirror mine. The 10/22 I use for steel matches (with targets out to 100 yards) has a stock barrel, but it's bedded and it has a mid-level Brimstone trigger job (way better than the Ruger BX). The CCI AR ammo gives the best accuracy in that gun. My "built" 10-22s with custom barrels have tighter Bentz chambers which produce better accuracy (on the order of .25" 5-shot groups at 50 yds) with premium ammo, but for the games where you shoot against the clock, even one failure to extract puts you way down in the results. FWIW, my overall "go-to" ammo that works well with nearly all the dozen .22 rifles here is the Federal American Eagle 38 gr HP round. I have one gun (BL22) that shoots best with really junky ammo, and the 10/22 with Feddersen barrel does great with Wolf Match Extra, but so far they ALL shoot OK with the AE 38 gr HP.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Thanks! I've gotten similar suggestions from some others who have watched this video. I may need to change my testing protocol for .22's in the future!

Howard

Senior Moderator
    Well hmmmm ... Gary.

I'm on a mission to run through the .22 rifles kept on hand, shooting from off the bench rest and have noticed that accuracy results have been unexpectedly uneven. Thought was to make only a limited effort at each of three distances and just accepting the initial result. Thing is, I'm starting from squeaky clean barrels.

Perhaps I need to dirty them up more before making an accuracy effort. I hadn't figured on it making all that much difference as long as I was using one type of ammunition in all the rifles.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links